Image Verify passes in Windows verify but fails in WinPE Rescue Media verify

Image Verify passes in Windows verify but fails in WinPE Rescue Media...
Author
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
This is an unusual situation I haven't been able to fully explain.

I had an image file set that Reflect created to a USB HDD.  I then copied those files to a bootable ISO containing the Reflect WinPE recovery environment.  I ran a manual Verify on the BD-RE DL I burned this ISO to in the Windows versions of Reflect.  That Verify passed correctly.  I booted into the Reflect WinPE recovery environment from the disc I burned the ISO to and performed a manual Verify of the image in the WinPE version of Reflect.  That Verify failed!

I can't see why this would pass in one environment but fail in another.  Unless, maybe, there was something wrong with the ISO I burned.  That the WinPE version of Reflect was somehow corrupted JUST enough that it runs but not correctly?  Or maybe the WinPE environment accesses optical drives differently than the Windows version does?  I can't see that being the case because isn't WinPE just a trimmed down version of Windows?

A possible explanation, though, could be the BD drive I was using as the writer and the reader.  It eventually needed replacing because the contents it said were written were not actually written to the discs.  Upon eject and reinsertion, the contents were not actually present on the disc.  I've since replaced that drive, so it could have been down to simply a dying drive.  I haven't had a repeat of the issue since, but it was such a weird thing I couldn't necessarily pin it down to anything.  Plus, the issue of the contents not being there was not always constant.  It would something write the contents and sometimes not.  So, maybe my experience with one Verify passing and one failing could be down to this random issue happening.

Has anyone else experience anything like this before?  Probably not.  Smile  Thanks!

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
Just for clarification, when you say you verified the BD media, does that mean you had the disc burning software verify what it wrote, or that you used Reflect to verify the backup files themselves on the finalized disc?
Edited 1 March 2018 7:43 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
Also, it seems like it would be simpler to keep Rescue Media on one disc and backup files on another rather than packaging backup files into a Rescue Media ISO. It would certainly make updating the Rescue Media easier (and less expensive in writable media costs) and if you weren’t aware, after the Rescue environment loads, the disc can be ejected because it runs entirely in RAM at that point, so even if you only have a single optical drive, you can still swap in the disc containing your backups.
dbminter
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)Advanced Member (558 reputation)
Yes, I meant the Verifies, in all cases where I used Verify, were Reflect Verifies, either in the Windows environment or WinPE.

I just like to consolidate my monthly backup media.  I like to keep the recovery environment on the same disc as the image files.  That way I don't have to swap out media (I was aware I could remove the media after boot, yes.  Works for flash drives, too.) and I don't need to search for a separate bootable media if I have the disc with the image files on it.

I also like redundancies.  Smile  I have rescue media on an optical disc, rescue media on the discs that store my monthly and yearly image backups, and 4 flash drives.  Those flash drives and that separate optical disc I update every time there is a new Reflect release, even if it's not necessary to update the recovery media.  It's more work and a little paranoid, but as sure as I don't do this, I'll encounter rescue media that won't boot.  And since there are 12 monthly backup discs, I have 12 copies of those.  Although, since they're only updated yearly, the Reflect versions on those media will be older ones.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...