MR restore to dissimilar hardware changes GPT disk to MBR

Author
John Gray
Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I set up the target disk on a new PC to be used as a server as an empty GPT disk using DISKPART convert gpt.
I backed up a Windows system image from the original server which uses an MBR disk .
I used the MR Rescue Disc to restore the WIndows system image to the new PC.
This restore changed the target disk from GPT format to the MBR format of the backup.
This seems quite logical, but I can't find a way to convert the new disk back from MBR to GPT.  DISKPART won't do it because "the disk contains a page file" (which is only half the story, because it is necessary to do CLEAN before CONVERT GPT, and CLEAN would remove the data you just restored!).

Is there any way during the "restore to dissimilar hardware" to include "restore to dissimilar disk format"?

Thanks!
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
John Gray - 28 February 2018 9:09 AM
I set up the target disk on a new PC to be used as a server as an empty GPT disk using DISKPART convert gpt.
I backed up a Windows system image from the original server which uses an MBR disk .
I used the MR Rescue Disc to restore the WIndows system image to the new PC.
This restore changed the target disk from GPT format to the MBR format of the backup.
This seems quite logical, but I can't find a way to convert the new disk back from MBR to GPT.  DISKPART won't do it because "the disk contains a page file" (which is only half the story, because it is necessary to do CLEAN before CONVERT GPT, and CLEAN would remove the data you just restored!).

Is there any way during the "restore to dissimilar hardware" to include "restore to dissimilar disk format"?

Thanks!

Hi

The target disk needs to be prepared for EFI booting. Please see here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=7734456

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

John Gray
John Gray
Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)Junior Member (50 reputation)
Thanks, Nick!
The article "Restoring an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT" says
'Caution: We assume that there are no other hardware differences between the system being imaged and the system being restored.  For dissimilar hardware, use ReDeploy."

Since I am actually using ReDeploy to dissimilar hardware, can I assume that the instructions given in this article are still applicable?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
John Gray - 28 February 2018 9:30 AM
Thanks, Nick!
The article "Restoring an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT" says
'Caution: We assume that there are no other hardware differences between the system being imaged and the system being restored.  For dissimilar hardware, use ReDeploy."

Since I am actually using ReDeploy to dissimilar hardware, can I assume that the instructions given in this article are still applicable?

Yes, the process of preparing the target disk is totally relevant in a ReDeploy scenario.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

John Gray
John Gray
I've followed all the instructions in "Restoring an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT" and in "Fixing WIndows Boot Problems" and DISKPART seems to show all the partitions as being correct.  "Legacy boot" has been disabled in the BIOS, leaving "EFI Boot Sources" - and "Windows Boot Manager" is selected.
However, when the [HP Elite 8300] PC boots from the GPT hard drive it either goes into a reboot loop some seconds after displaying the BIOS screen, or comes up with the "Windows failed to start.  A recent hardware or software change might be the cause." screen.  "Starting WIndows Normally", or "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", or "Safe Mode" all give a reboot.

Do you think that there's anything further I can do before abandoning this method?

PS  I should have added that two devices were not found on the boot of the MR Rescue CD:
* Ethernet Controller  [on the motherboard; there is also an Intel CT PCie NIC card ]
* Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller [for USB 3.0 support, I believe]
Both of these need "SP123456" update Windows 7 drivers files from HP to be run after the WS2008R2 SP1 operating system has booted (installed from scratch).

Edited 28 February 2018 11:21 AM by John Gray
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
If the image you're restoring contains Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 and you want to boot it in UEFI mode, then you need to enable "Legacy Option ROMs" or "UEFI CSM/Compatibility Support Module" in your BIOS. Typically the option called "Legacy Boot" is an alternative to UEFI booting, i.e. UEFI gets disabled completely, so that may not be what you want -- unless of course it's the only option of this nature you can find, in which case as long as enabling it does not disable UEFI boot sources, you're good to go.  The reason this is necessary is that the Windows 7 kernel does fully support the UEFI spec; even when booted in UEFI mode from a GPT disk, it has some legacy dependencies that prevent it from working in a "pure" UEFI environment.  But because of this dependency and the fact that Windows 7 doesn't take advantage of any of UEFI's features (e.g. Secure Boot), there generally isn't a good reason to set Win7 up in UEFI mode in the first place.  The only reasons I can think you might want to do that would be if you want a partition larger than 2TB on your OS disk (which would require using GPT) or you need to multi-boot with another UEFI OS installed on the same disk.  Otherwise, you may prefer to keep this new system in Legacy Boot mode and running on an MBR disk, especially if you may wish to use viBoot for this system's images, since Hyper-V cannot boot a Win7 environment that resides on a GPT disk and is configured for UEFI booting.

Edited 28 February 2018 3:11 PM by jphughan
John Gray
John Gray
Apologies for the snow-induced hiatus.

I originally booted the MR-ReDeployed WS2008R2-SP1 GPT 1TB hard drive on my HP Elite 8300 PC with the boot options set to "EFI Boot Sources" enabled and "Legacy Boot Sources" disabled, and got the boot loop previously described, after accepting "Start Windows Normally".

I have just reversed this, so that the boot options are set to "Legacy Boot Sources" enabled and "EFI Boot Sources" disabled, and just get a flashing cursor at the top LHS of the screen.

For completeness, I enabled both EFI and Legacy boot options, and not surprisingly got the usual boot loop.

I really can't see what else I can do, except revert the hard drive to being MBR from GPT, and give up trying to get Macrium Redeploy to work on this particular hardware and operating system combination...

Thanks to both Nick and jphughan for their kind assistance.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.9K reputation)
I agree that abandoning the idea of going with GPT is probably the best way forward, but that does NOT mean you need to abandon ReDeploy. I suppose that even if you stick with MBR and Legacy Boot, it’s possible you may still end up with a boot loop if there’s some driver issue that even ReDeploy can’t fix, but on the other hand eliminating that change to GPT/UEFI might mean that ReDeploy will now be able to handle the rest.

Out of curiosity why were you trying to convert this installation to GPT/UEFI in the first place?
Edited 4 March 2018 3:12 PM by jphughan
John Gray
John Gray
Since our charity uses old/ancient hardware I haven't been exposed to UEFI and GPT disks, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to learn.
I have learned enough to stick with MBR for the time being!

melb
melb
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Hi, I'm really struggling restoring a MBR to new GPT machine

I follow the KB Restoring an MBR System image to UEFI/GPT, I also have to create another partition in the remaining space and format as NTFS using diskpart, after making the other 2 partitions per KB

All looks good, i have 3 new partitions on my destination drive and restore my image to the new 232GB space last partition (similar size to MBR) and in advanced settings i uncheck the copy MBR data

When restored, and i go to backup tab and refresh, it now looks like a MBR partition again, and my other 2 new mini partitions (per KB) are missing!

What am i doing Wrong?!  I've tried this twice..

What i'm hoping to end up with is UEFI boot to single NVMe (with Macrium restored OS) and a pair of 4TB RAID 1 (hence need to UEFI to be >>2GB)

I can successfully restore and boot as mbr, but need UEFI/GPT

Thanks in advance

Edited 17 December 2018 2:36 AM by melb
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search