Disk Imaging on a NAS using Win 7 64-bit

Author
Charles Kuehn
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi everyone,

I've been using Reflect since v4.  In fact, I still have a Win XP Pro machine that executes an image backup to my NAS every Sunday for years.  So now I have a refurb PC running Win 7 SP1 64-bit.  I installed Reflect v7.1 64-bit on this "new" PC so that I could backup this image to the same NAS.  However,  I am having problems with Reflect consistently recognizing the network directory to which I'm writing.  Here are some facts:

1. Sometimes I can execute the script successfully when I open reflect and run the job.  I can close reflect and watch the job run.  Other times it crashes.
2. I have not yet been able to run job successfully when letting the scheduler execute the job.  (Full run sunday at noon, incrementals at 10 every night).
3. I've set a NAS user with the name "UniFi Administrator".  This matches the user name on my Win 7 PC.  Passwords are same on PC and NAS.
4. NAS user has "admin" access rights.
5. NAS share is named "\UniFi (HP-6300)"
6. I've mapped this network drive successfully to my PC.  Finds it without any difficulty.
7.  When it fails, this is the message I get...

File Name: \\NETWORK-DISK\UniFi (HP-6300)\System Disk Images\F6030858BB53D491-00-00.mrimg
Attempting to connect to: '\\NETWORK-DISK\UniFi (HP-6300)\System Disk Images'
Failure: User - UniFi Administrator - Access is denied.
Failure: User - No user - Access is denied.
Failure: User - anonymous - Access is denied.

I've had a Network guy out doing some other work here, so I asked him to see if the NAS user and share are configured correctly, and he saw nothing wrong.  And again. sometimes it DOES run if I submit job myself.  If the PC connects consistently, why can't Reflect?  Any ideas on how to address this problem?

Thanks a bunch

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
Starting with V7, when Reflect runs as a scheduled task, it uses the SYSTEM account, not a specified user account as previous versions have used.  Consequently, setting the NAS username to match your local PC's user doesn't matter.  You CAN go back to the old configuration by going to Edit Defaults > User and specifying the desired user, but the recommended practice now is to go to Edit Defaults > Network and add your NAS credentials there so that scheduled tasks can use them even when running under the SYSTEM account.

Drive letter mappings that you create under your user session by default wouldn't be usable by Reflect even if the job were running under your user account when using Windows Vista or newer, which is why it's better to use the UNC path as you seem to be doing.

Edited 27 February 2018 3:39 PM by jphughan
Charles Kuehn
Charles Kuehn
New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)New Member (26 reputation)
Thanks for responding.That is exactly where I loaded the credentials. I’ve tried placing them in Edit Defaults->network AND during script creation. When you enter a network path, reflect prompts you to login. It verifies the info then stores it in network defaults. So either I’m entering the data incorrectly or something else is going on. Any other ideas or suggestions?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.9K reputation)
You're using a script, i.e. you're generating a definition file and then creating a DOS batch file/VBScript/PowerShell script from it?  Or did you mean to say definition file there?  A script may introduce a few other variables, but if you're just working with a definition file, if an entry exists under Edit Defaults > Network that matches your destination path and has correct credentials, maybe create an additional username on your NAS that doesn't include a space, granting it read/write access to that share, and updating that Network entry in Reflect to use those credentials instead?  I don't know for certain that usernames with spaces are a problem, but that's the only thing that stands out to me here. Otherwise as I mentioned above, you could try just going to Edit Defaults > User, unchecking the option to run as SYSTEM, and instead have Reflect jobs run as your "UniFi Administrator" user, in which case the job will automatically get NAS access that way since you've matched usernames and passwords between the PC and NAS.

And totally unrelated to Reflect, but based on your username, if you just want to back up your UniFi Controller configuration, that's just a Java application contained in a folder.  Alternatively, you could migrate your whole UniFi Controller instance onto a Cloud Key, which means you wouldn't need to keep that PC running to manage the network, offer the guest captive portal, etc., since the Cloud Key will start doing that.

Edited 27 February 2018 5:00 PM by jphughan
Charles Kuehn
Charles Kuehn
I’m running a definition file. Sorry for mistyping. As for the cloud key, I had one that kept crashing every 24 hours. Just removed it from rework and running controller from pc. Hasn’t crashed yet.

I’m backing up UniFi setting nightly to this NAS. I would like to backup the entire disk image as well, but having problems. Based on this clarification, what should I do?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
So you already tried both of my suggestions above, namely creating a new username with no spaces and configuring Reflect scheduled tasks to run as your "UniFi Administrator" user rather than the default SYSTEM account?  Both are resulting in the exact same failures you originally posted?

Charles Kuehn
Charles Kuehn
Sorry, but I don’t see an option called edit defaults->user. Where does that exist in version 7.1?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Charles Kuehn - 27 February 2018 10:09 PM
Sorry, but I don’t see an option called edit defaults->user. Where does that exist in version 7.1?

Apologies, it's Edit Defaults > Schedule.  I was working from memory earlier.
Charles Kuehn
Charles Kuehn
I’ve put in two different accounts under edit defaults->network which is supposed to override system defaul. NetBIOS should handle the two part name. Is it possible that this is a bug in 7.1?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Charles Kuehn - 27 February 2018 10:12 PM
I’ve put in two different accounts under edit defaults->network which is supposed to override system defaul. NetBIOS should handle the two part name. Is it possible that this is a bug in 7.1?

Actually it's the other way around.  The credentials of the user running the job are always tried first, before anything under Edit Defaults > Network.  And to be clear, I'm not certain that the issue is the space in the username; that was just a guess since normally this is a very straightforward setup and that's the only thing that stands out to me, but I don't have a NAS setup readily available to test this with myself and I doubt I'll set up a VM lab environment to test this scenario either.

And why do you have two separate accounts for the same network resource?

Edited 27 February 2018 10:17 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...