Copy Files with 3rd Party Software and MIG

Author
johnpd
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On my primary computer I use Macrium to backup to an extra internal drive. For additional backup I then copy the .mrimg files to a NAS and also to an external USB drive using a 3rd party file copy program.
1. If I enable MIG on the internal drive, will I still be able to make the additional copies?
2. Will I be able to delete/move the files on the external drives without a problem or is some flag assigned to these files that would prevent this?

JohnD

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5K reputation)
1. Yes.  MIG only prevents modification or deletion; it does not interfere with read operations, so enabling it on your internal drive would not prevent you from making copies elsewhere, including copying to a different location on the same disk.
2. When MIG is enabled (it can be enabled/disabled on a per-partition basis), non-Macrium applications will not be able to delete or move files -- this includes you trying to do these things in Windows Explorer.  The only exception (enabled by default) is Robocopy, but even it is only allowed under some circumstances. You can learn more about that from the MIG KB article here.  Note that it is possible to manually delete backups while MIG is enabled if you do so from within Reflect (under the Restore tab, select your backup > Other Actions > Delete), but there is no move functionality.

Also note that if you have MIG enabled system-wide and then disable it on a specific partition, if you ever run a backup job directly to that partition, MIG will be automatically re-enabled on that partition.  If you want to keep MIG permanently disabled on a partition that is used as a backup destination, you have to disable MIG system-wide.  Or of course you can temporarily disable MIG only on the occasions where you need to manually delete/move files to remain protected at all other times.

Edited 27 February 2018 3:48 PM by jphughan
johnpd
johnpd
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
jphughan - 27 February 2018 3:46 PM
1. Yes.  MIG only prevents modification or deletion; it does not interfere with read operations, so enabling it on your internal drive would not prevent you from making copies elsewhere, including copying to a different location on the same disk.
2. When MIG is enabled (it can be enabled/disabled on a per-partition basis), non-Macrium applications will not be able to delete or move files -- this includes you trying to do these things in Windows Explorer.  The only exception (enabled by default) is Robocopy, but even it is only allowed under some circumstances. You can learn more about that from the MIG KB article here.  Note that it is possible to manually delete backups while MIG is enabled if you do so from within Reflect (under the Restore tab, select your backup > Other Actions > Delete), but there is no move functionality.

Also note that if you have MIG enabled system-wide and then disable it on a specific partition, if you ever run a backup job directly to that partition, MIG will be automatically re-enabled on that partition.  If you want to keep MIG permanently disabled on a partition that is used as a backup destination, you have to disable MIG system-wide.  Or of course you can temporarily disable MIG only on the occasions where you need to manually delete/move files to remain protected at all other times.

Thanks JP,
  I always delete any older primary backups from within MR. I use Karen's Replicator to copy the backups to other devices. It is very easy to use. I had never heard of the Robocopy command before although it has apparently been around for a while. It seems to be a very powerful command. I might play around with that.

John

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...