vss issue

Author
Frank Esposito
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello -- 

Got this message  when I started my computer  and reflect  started up to do the first incremental backup per my schedule

Analyzing file system on volume C:
Failed To Create Volume Snapshot for drive C. Result Code: 0x8004230f
Using pssnap.sys instead

Is the backup valid?

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
If the backup won't be valid, you would see another error to that effect.  PSSnap.sys is Macrium's own driver that provides essentially the same functionality when VSS fails (or on OSes that lack VSS altogether), so as long as the log indicates that the backup completed successfully, you'll be fine.  But if you want to address the VSS issue, try going to Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems and restarting your PC as the preliminary troubleshooting steps.

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)Junior Member (65 reputation)
jphughan - 24 February 2018 1:02 AM
If the backup won't be valid, you would see another error to that effect.  PSSnap.sys is Macrium's own driver that provides essentially the same functionality when VSS fails (or on OSes that lack VSS altogether), so as long as the log indicates that the backup completed successfully, you'll be fine.  But if you want to address the VSS issue, try going to Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems and restarting your PC as the preliminary troubleshooting steps.

I did the "fix vss"  option an it seemed to work find now  -- thanks
Still Active
Still Active
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
So, I have a similar problem.  I have three computers (all running Windows 10 Pro) and just installed Reflect v7 on all three (to replace Acronis True Image).  I have been able to uneventfully backup two of the machines.  The third (the newest), however, gives me VSS errors.  It is a refurbished MS Surface Pro 4 ( with Bitlocker turned off).  I have it configured with a 128GB SDXC card permanently installed and assigned to a drive letter (TSmile.  I have two definition files.  One is an image backup of the SSD (drive CSmile.  The other does a File and Folder backup of the SDXC card (drive TSmile.

My first attempt to back up the C drive failed (repeatedly) with the errors in the attached file "Macrium Reflect SSD Failed Partial Log.jpg"   It gave the message "Retrying without VSS writers", but it failed anyway.  I found the post above from jphughan about trying Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems.  That worked, and I am now able to make backups of drive C:.  By the way, I tested Reflect Free on all three machines before buying the product, and had no VSS errors on any of the machines including the Surface Pro 4.

Then I tried the File and Folder Backup of drive T: (the SDXC card).  I did not test this on the free version, because it does not support File and Folder Backups, and the free version would not recognize the SDXC as a drive.  The partial log is shown in the attached file "Macrium Reflect SDXC Failed Partial Log.jpg".  It also gave the error "Retrying without VSS writers", but it then went ahead and completed the backup. I tried  Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems, but it did  not fix this.  I can create backups but always get this VSS error.  Note that it did not give the message "Using pssnap.sys instead " as was noted in the original post above.

Some would say that I should just be happy that I am getting backups and forget it.  But I am not.  I am having headaches on all three machines getting the user interface of the recovery media to behave consistently and to recognize my network (another subject which I will address elsewhere) and so do not have a great deal of confidence in the product at this point. 

Is there an explanation for this problem and (preferably) a way to eliminate this error get VSS to work properly?

Thanks

Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
What file system(s) are you using on your SSD partitions and on your SDXC card?

Still Active
Still Active
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
jphughan - 7 March 2018 11:36 PM
What file system(s) are you using on your SSD partitions and on your SDXC card?

Both the SSD and SDXC use NTFS.

Thanks

Joe
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...