Backup Windows...

Author
Starb7
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
What is the 'Backups Windows...' menu for?

Searching the Help Pages and the Forum has proven to be unhelpful* and the Online Help doesn't seem to state what exactly is being backed up, ie is it just the Windows installation or is it the volume that Windows is on.  Also, what happens in the event of a Restore, does the Windows get restored or the volume?

​Some clarify would be appreciated.

* The forum gives over 500 replies, none of much help​​ and if you do an 'exact' match for "Backup Windows..." - the actual menu, ZERO results found :/ 

Cheers

p.s. Admins - re my last post (CBT) the search is actually working... just painfully slow!​​​​​​​​​
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Starb7 - 23 February 2018 12:31 PM

Searching the Help Pages and the Forum has proven to be unhelpful* and the Online Help doesn't seem to state what exactly is being backed up, ie is it just the Windows installation or is it the volume that Windows is on.  Also, what happens in the event of a Restore, does the Windows get restored or the volume?

Some clarify would be appreciated.

* The forum gives over 500 replies, none of much help and if you do an 'exact' match for "Backup Windows..." - the actual menu, ZERO results found :/ 

Cheers

p.s. Admins - re my last post (CBT) the search is actually working... just painfully slow!

Hi

Thanks for posting. Please see here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+Partitions

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Starb7
Starb7
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Nick - 23 February 2018 12:48 PM

* The forum gives over 500 replies, none of much help and if you do an 'exact' match for "Backup Windows..." - the actual menu, ZERO results found :/ 

Cheers

p.s. Admins - re my last post (CBT) the search is actually working... just painfully slow!

Hi

Hi Nick
Thanks for the reply but sadly none of that helps.
That page is (seems to be) just a statement of facts about Windows Partitions, ​rather than what Reflect is doing.
Also it doesn't answer my query​ of what is actually being backed up and what happens in the event of a restore and to top all of that, the Menu's are wrong anyhow!  I see it's been a while since the linked page was updated so perhaps a refresh of the topic and menus is in order?
Cheers
Paul​​​​​
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Starb7 - 23 February 2018 1:36 PM

Cheers

Hi

Hi Nick
That page is (seems to be) just a statement of facts about Windows Partitions, rather than what Reflect is doing.
Also it doesn't answer my query of what is actually being backed up and what happens in the event of a restore and to top all of that, the Menu's are wrong anyhow!  I see it's been a while since the linked page was updated so perhaps a refresh of the topic and menus is in order?
Cheers
Paul

From the top of the article:

This article explains which partitions are automatically selected when selecting 'Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows'.

It's not out of date, that's the side bar button, not a menu, and is the same option as the 'Backup Windows..' menu option. Sorry for the confusion, 

The article explains in detail which partitions are selected for backup when the option is taken. Basically, It's every partition that has the 'Windows' icon shown on it in the disk layout. When restoring you can choose which partitions to restore or select them all. It's up to you. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 23 February 2018 2:36 PM by Nick
Starb7
Starb7
Nick - 23 February 2018 2:34 PM

Cheers

Hi

Hi Nick
That page is (seems to be) just a statement of facts about Windows Partitions, rather than what Reflect is doing.
Also it doesn't answer my query of what is actually being backed up and what happens in the event of a restore and to top all of that, the Menu's are wrong anyhow!  I see it's been a while since the linked page was updated so perhaps a refresh of the topic and menus is in order?
Cheers
Paul

This article explains which partitions are automatically selected when selecting 'Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows'.

It's not out of date, that's the side bar button, not a menu, and is the same option as the 'Backup Windows..' menu option. Sorry for the confusion, 

The article explains in detail which partitions are selected for backup when the option is taken. Basically, It's every partition that has the 'Windows' icon shown on it in the disk layout. When restoring you can choose which partitions to restore or select them all. It's up to you. 

Thanks for the update - my menu reads as "Backup Windows..." not the one in the article and so with respect, it probably is out of date. Actually the menu on the article is a​ better explanation of what is going to happen rather than just "Backup Windows..." so perhaps its worth putting that back Smile  Cheers.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Starb7 - 23 February 2018 2:46 PM

Cheers

Hi

Hi Nick
Cheers
Paul

Thanks for the update - my menu reads as "Backup Windows..." not the one in the article and so with respect, it probably is out of date. Actually the menu on the article is a better explanation of what is going to happen rather than just "Backup Windows..." so perhaps its worth putting that back Smile  Cheers.

Glad it's clear now.

The article isn't out of date, it's showing the side bar button. This is the same option as the 'Backup Windows..' menu option. Sorry for the confusion.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 23 February 2018 3:12 PM by Nick
Starb7
Starb7
Nick - 23 February 2018 3:11 PM
Starb7 - 23 February 2018 2:46 PM

Cheers

Hi

Hi Nick
Cheers
Paul

Thanks for the update - my menu reads as "Backup Windows..." not the one in the article and so with respect, it probably is out of date. Actually the menu on the article is a better explanation of what is going to happen rather than just "Backup Windows..." so perhaps its worth putting that back Smile  Cheers.

Glad it's clear now.

The article isn't out of date, it's showing the side bar button. This is the same option as the 'Backup Windows..' menu option. Sorry for the confusion.

​Ahh, see what you mean!  My confusion - sorry.  Cheers 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...