"Input Not Supported" when booting from recovery media

Author
HFChristie
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Existing recovery media works on several devices (1 Win10 device and several Win 7 platforms).  However, new PC (HP-mp6 digital media player) gets a "input not supported" video error during boot.  While HP-MP6 is an older device (2013/2014), it has been refurbished with newer components and came with Windows 10 Professional.  I can't even find Windows 7 drivers for several of the devices, so I should be fine with "basic" Win10 drivers.

I tried updating existing recovery media with video drivers (about 50 DLL, ini, exe, etc files pulled from C drive of HP-MP6) but WinPE wizard returns "no drivers found" error.

I also tried recreating the WinPE recovery media from scratch on the HP-MP6 platform itself, hoping it would download the correct drivers from the existing OS - no luck.  Same error

Existing recovery media was defined using the last option (Win10) with Bitlocker drivers included - I don't use Bitlocker, but just in case. I can't remember what WinPE version that was, but it was the last of the options listed in the "Change WinPE version."  I used the same WinPE version on the recreation attempt.  None of the other WinPE versions listed Win10 as supported environments so I didn't try those.

How do I fix this?  Just got the HP-MP6 device and want to create an initial image before making updates to environment.

Thank you

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
WinPE to my knowledge doesn't accept supplied video drivers, which has become a bit of a problem with users of some systems that find themselves locked at 640x480 resolution in that environment.  Sometimes booting the Rescue Media in Legacy BIOS vs. UEFI mode makes a difference because UEFI handles video capabilities differently.  It supports both, so if you've only tried one, try the other, assuming the system allows bot.  For simplicity you should boot your Rescue Media using the same mechanism that you'll be booting your OS (probably UEFI on a new Win10 PC), but the only function I'm aware of where that makes a deliberate practical difference is in the "Fix Boot Problems" function, so at least for your current purposes, trying the opposite boot mechanism may work.

The last option in the Change PE dialog is WinPE 10, but the WinPE version used for Rescue Media has no bearing on the image you're trying to capture or restore.  Newer WinPE versions may be required to support certain hardware in the PC in question and certain other features explained in the Change PE Version dialog, but if none of those applies to you, you would use a WinPE 3.1 Rescue Media build to work with Windows 10 images or a WinPE 10 Rescue Media build to work with Windows 7 images, or even earlier versions or even images that contain non-Windows OSes.

Also, at what point exactly does this "Input not supported" error appear?  After the Reflect splash screen loads, before the splash screen but after the blue WinPE background appears, before the WinPE environment loads, etc.?  And are you sure that error is coming from the PC rather than the display you're using?  Can you post a picture of it, taken with a smartphone or something?  Depending on the system firmware and BIOS vs. UEFI boot mechanism, WinPE sometimes only offers a single display resolution, so I'm wondering if it's selecting a resolution that your display simply doesn't support.  On my laptop for example, UEFI booting locks me to 3200x1800 resolution (my built-in display's native resolution), whereas booting in Legacy mode locks me to 1024x768.  Other systems allow multiple options in one or both modes.

Edited 21 February 2018 8:43 PM by jphughan
HFC1429
HFC1429
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
This is the OP (HFChristie) - had to create a new (well, 4) login ID because platform wouldn't accept a re-login.

Tried legacy login - same problem.

I also added "Add to Book menu..." - that worked, but got same error (source not supported).

The way this behaves is that;
1. Turn PC on with recovery media in (doesn't matter if DVD, USB (Flash), or "Boot Menu" added)
2. Press >F9< until Boot Menu appears
3. Select appropriate boot device (doesn't appear to matter if Legacy or UFI)
4. Boot initiates. 
5. After a few moments (10-60 seconds), the basic Win10 boot splash appears (2D cyan windows symbol)
6. After 10-120 seconds more, the flipping dots "Working" thing appears below it
7. After 10-60 seconds more, the screen flashes black and the "Source Not Supported" message appears and moves around screen.

I do NOT see the Macrium splash screen, although it may be displayed later after my screen goes black
I do NOT get a request to select a driver, although that may be displayed later after my screen goes black
The PC appears to continue booting - HDD access light flashes for a while and then stops
I CANNOT confirm boot continues or is successful because (you guessed it) the screen goes black.

I'm not sure the error is from the PC or the display.  However, the display works initially and does not have any errors when in Win10, booting into Win10, or using another stand-alone application (Mini-Tools Partition Manager).  I strongly suspect the error is coming from the WinPE environment as I do not have any problems with the display under any other circumstances but I cannot confirm as I cannot see anything other than "Input not Supported"

I'm using an ACER display with VGA and DVI inputs.  I use VGA on all my devices - if could be that WinPE is switching to DVI but I don't know why it would do that - the HP-MP6 doesn't support DVI or HDMI video,

HFC1429
HFC1429
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
HFC1429 - 21 February 2018 9:54 PM
This is the OP (HFChristie) - had to create a new (well, 4) login ID because platform wouldn't accept a re-login.

I also added "Add to Book menu..." - that worked, but got same error (source not supported).

1. Turn PC on with recovery media in (doesn't matter if DVD, USB (Flash), or "Boot Menu" added)
4. Boot initiates. 
5. After a few moments (10-60 seconds), the basic Win10 boot splash appears (2D cyan windows symbol)
6. After 10-120 seconds more, the flipping dots "Working" thing appears below it
7. After 10-60 seconds more, the screen flashes black and the "Source Not Supported" message appears and moves around screen.

I do NOT see the Macrium splash screen, although it may be displayed later after my screen goes black
I do NOT get a request to select a driver, although that may be displayed later after my screen goes black
The PC appears to continue booting - HDD access light flashes for a while and then stops
I CANNOT confirm boot continues or is successful because (you guessed it) the screen goes black.

I'm not sure the error is from the PC or the display.  However, the display works initially and does not have any errors when in Win10, booting into Win10, or using another stand-alone application (Mini-Tools Partition Manager).  I strongly suspect the error is coming from the WinPE environment as I do not have any problems with the display under any other circumstances but I cannot confirm as I cannot see anything other than "Input not Supported"

I'm using an ACER display with VGA and DVI inputs.  I use VGA on all my devices - if could be that WinPE is switching to DVI but I don't know why it would do that - the HP-MP6 doesn't support DVI or HDMI video,

Sorry - by "that worked" with respect to the "Add to Boot," I meant the "Add to Boot" worked and when I booted using HDD, I did get the option to boot into Macrium.  However, it had the same issue - eventually resulted in "Input Not Supported" error.
HFC1429
HFC1429
HFC1429 - 21 February 2018 9:55 PM
HFC1429 - 21 February 2018 9:54 PM

4. Boot initiates. 

Sorry - by "that worked" with respect to the "Add to Boot," I meant the "Add to Boot" worked and when I booted using HDD, I did get the option to boot into Macrium.  However, it had the same issue - eventually resulted in "Input Not Supported" error.

Forgot to mention I also had "check for unsupported devices each time ..." in the Rescue Media environment.  That might have prompted a response, but if it did, it obviously did it after screen blacked.

I'm creating a new Rescue Media device with Win7 kernal (WinPE 3??) to see if that makes a difference,
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
A "Source not supported" message that bounces around the screen will almost certainly coming from the display.  The word "source" would mean "source signal", i.e. the display doesn't support the signal currently being sent from the source, namely the PC.  If the display at that point were in fact showing that message coming from the PC, then a) the source signal WOULD be supported, and b) it wouldn't make sense for the PC to complain about an error relating to a "source".  But if you can find documentation for your display, you may be able to positively confirm that it generates this message in a Troubleshooting section or something.

The fact that "real" Win10 and other applications work fine doesn't really matter because "real" Win10 includes a much more capable graphics subsystem that can do things like accept other drivers, and it's not clear what version of WinPE your other application uses.  I suspect you'd also find that regular Windows 10 install media would exhibit this same behavior, though.

WinPE wouldn't control a switch from VGA to DVI, especially if there's no DVI output available on the PC to begin with.  And even if WinPE were triggering a switch to another output (is there any other video output on that system to begin with?), then you would probably see an error more like "No signal" rather than "Source not supported".  Do you have any other display to test with?  If not, I would try building Rescue Media using an older version of WinPE, such as 5 or 4.  WinPE 3.1 might be more of a problem since it doesn't support UEFI booting, and even WinPE 4 might be an issue since it doesn't support USB 3.0, which means your keyboard and mouse may not work.  So I'd start with WinPE 5.

As for the forum accounts, I expect if you email support at macrium dot com, they can sort out whatever went wrong with your original account.  Several users here including myself are able to log out and log back in again just fine, after all.

Edited 21 February 2018 10:04 PM by jphughan
HFC1429
HFC1429
jphughan - 21 February 2018 10:02 PM
A "Source not supported" message that bounces around the screen will almost certainly coming from the display.  The word "source" would mean "source signal", i.e. the display doesn't support the signal currently being sent from the source, namely the PC.  If the display at that point were in fact showing that message coming from the PC, then a) the source signal WOULD be supported, and b) it wouldn't make sense for the PC to complain about an error relating to a "source".  But if you can find documentation for your display, you may be able to positively confirm that it generates this message in a Troubleshooting section or something.

The fact that "real" Win10 and other applications work fine doesn't really matter because "real" Win10 includes a much more capable graphics subsystem that can do things like accept other drivers, and it's not clear what version of WinPE your other application uses.  I suspect you'd also find that regular Windows 10 install media would exhibit this same behavior, though.

WinPE wouldn't control a switch from VGA to DVI, especially if there's no DVI output available on the PC to begin with.  And even if WinPE were triggering a switch to another output (is there any other video output on that system to begin with?), then you would probably see an error more like "No signal" rather than "Source not supported".  Do you have any other display to test with?  If not, I would try building Rescue Media using an older version of WinPE, such as 5 or 4.  WinPE 3.1 might be more of a problem since it doesn't support UEFI booting, and even WinPE 4 might be an issue since it doesn't support USB 3.0, which means your keyboard and mouse may not work.  So I'd start with WinPE 5.

As for the forum accounts, I expect if you email support at macrium dot com, they can sort out whatever went wrong with your original account.  Several users here including myself are able to log out and log back in again just fine, after all.

Well, it's definitely something to do with the WinPE v10.  Recreated rescue media in several formats (USB Flash, External HDD, DVD) and all three work perfectly - no problems no problems with display.  Tried both UFI and Legacy boot - no problems either way.

You'd have thought the WinPE10 version would have more of the current drivers but I guess they also removed some of the legacy ones.

jphughan
jphughan
Glad you were able to get working Rescue Media.  This is the first I've seen of this specific behavior, but graphics-related issues in WinPE have definitely come up with a range of PCs.  Evidently some have implementations of UEFI that aren't fully compliant with the spec, which can cause them to be locked to 640x480 resolution in certain versions of WinPE, for example -- which is a problem because at a resolution that low, some of Reflect's UI doesn't fit within the display area, including the rather crucial button to start a backup/restore job at the end of the wizard.  On affected PCs, sometimes only 1 or 2 of the 3 UEFI-compatible WinPE versions works properly, but it's not even always the same 1 or 2 that work without issues on all PCs.  There's also a KB article on Lenovo's site that says that this 640x480 behavior can occur on some of their systems when using specifically WinPE 10 1607 due to a software bug in that specific release.  That's the newest WinPE 10 release that Reflect supports as of this writing, although Microsoft is up to WinPE 10 1709 and should move up to WinPE 10 1803 next month.  So it's possible that once Reflect supports a newer version, you'll be able to build working WinPE 10-based Rescue Media if you need any of the features that it adds.  Historically, support for newer WinPE versions has been mentioned in the release notes of Reflect updates, so keep an eye out if that's important to you.

Edited 21 February 2018 11:55 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...