Cloning to a smaller SSD

Author
cliffordsimmons
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Help!

So I'm trying to clone a 1 tb HD to a 500 gb SSD and I can't figure out how to do it! Any help would be appreciated!!!!! 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (7.1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
In Reflect, select your source disk and click "Clone this disk".  In the first step of the wizard where you specify the source and destination, select your smaller SSD as the destination.  Then start dragging your partitions down from the source to destination one at a time, working left to right, but when you get to a partition you want to shrink, drag it down to the destination, click it down there, and select "Cloned partition properties".  Change its size on the destination as desired, then proceed with any remaining partitions. Smile

Edited 20 February 2018 5:50 PM by jphughan
cliffordsimmons
cliffordsimmons
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Worked! Thank you !
plav
plav
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
After reading this I'm still having trouble.

My source drive is a 250 GB Linux boot that shows up in Macrium Reflect 7 as an MBR disk with two partitions. #1 is 224.92 GB "ext Active" of which 6.02 GB is used. #2 is 7.96 GB "Unformatted Logical" of which 7.96 is used.

My intended destination drive is a 120 GB SSD with no partitions.

I'm unable to drag partition 1 to the destination - the pointer changes to a slashed circle. I've tried nearly very other variation I can think of. The "Cloned Partition Properties" always remain grayed out.

I'm trying to do this on a Windows 10 system with both the source and destination drives connected via USB-to-SATA adapters. I haven't tried booting the Windows box to its Rescue Media, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the docs that this might be necessary either.

Seems like this should be do-able. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.1K reputation)
Group: Administrators
plav - 6 March 2018 9:09 PM

My source drive is a 250 GB Linux boot that shows up in Macrium Reflect 7 as an MBR disk with two partitions. #1 is 224.92 GB "ext Active" of which 6.02 GB is used. #2 is 7.96 GB "Unformatted Logical" of which 7.96 is used.

I'm unable to drag partition 1 to the destination - the pointer changes to a slashed circle. I've tried nearly very other variation I can think of. The "Cloned Partition Properties" always remain grayed out.

I'm trying to do this on a Windows 10 system with both the source and destination drives connected via USB-to-SATA adapters. I haven't tried booting the Windows box to its Rescue Media, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the docs that this might be necessary either.

Hi

I'm afraid that file system shrinking is not supported for Linux EXT formatted partitions.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

plav
plav
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Nick - 6 March 2018 9:46 PM
plav - 6 March 2018 9:09 PM

Hi

I'm afraid that file system shrinking is not supported for Linux EXT formatted partitions.

Thanks for the quick reply. Now at least I know to look for an alternate path.

As you probably guessed, this is a one-shot deal simply to save the time/effort IPLing a new system from scratch.

BTW, since you're identified as a Macrium Rep, thanks for a great product. I'm one of those that's been using the free version of Reflect on my Windows boxes for quite some time. It's saved my bacon on Windows systems a few times. I finally got around to buying it a while back. Great product! Thanks again.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search