viBoot fails to load windows 7 image

Author
Zzzzu
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I am relatively new to using Macrium and viBoot. The problem is that when I try and run viBoot on a image of a Win7 machine it gets stuck on "Starting Windows" message and does not boot any further. I have checked the ram allocation, number of processors and still no luck fixing this.
I've attached an image of where it is stuck.
My guess: Since viBoot uses Hyper-V could it be a problem with the generation version of the VM that is created? From what I know Win7 needs to be run under generation 1, however viBoot makes a generation 2 VM. 
Im running Macrium/viBoot on a windows 10 Pro machine.
Thanks guys

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Is the image you're trying to viBoot from a GPT disk rather than an MBR disk?  GPT is unusual to find with Windows 7, but it does exist.  If that's the case, then Hyper-V would have to use a Gen 2 VM because GPT disks have to be booted in UEFI mode, and only Gen 2 VMs support UEFI.  Gen 1 only supports Legacy BIOS booting.  However, Windows 7 does not fully support the UEFI spec; it has some legacy dependencies that require access to Legacy Option ROMs, which Gen 2 VMs do not offer since they present a purely UEFI platform, which in turn is why Win7 does not work with Gen 2 VMs.  In that case, you may be stuck trying to boot this particular image.

If your image instead contains an MBR disk, then yes viBoot should have created a Gen 1 VM, but if that were the problem, I wouldn't have expected the boot process to even get to the "Starting Windows" display, because a Gen 2 VM would definitely not boot a Windows installation built on an MBR disk and configured for Legacy BIOS booting.

Zzzzu
Zzzzu
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
jphughan - 15 February 2018 12:34 AM
Is the image you're trying to viBoot from a GPT disk rather than an MBR disk?  GPT is unusual to find with Windows 7, but it does exist.  If that's the case, then Hyper-V would have to use a Gen 2 VM because GPT disks have to be booted in UEFI mode, and only Gen 2 VMs support UEFI.  Gen 1 only supports Legacy BIOS booting.  However, Windows 7 does not fully support the UEFI spec; it has some legacy dependencies that require access to Legacy Option ROMs, which Gen 2 VMs do not offer since they present a purely UEFI platform, which in turn is why Win7 does not work with Gen 2 VMs.  In that case, you may be stuck trying to boot this particular image.

If your image instead contains an MBR disk, then yes viBoot should have created a Gen 1 VM, but if that were the problem, I wouldn't have expected the boot process to even get to the "Starting Windows" display, because a Gen 2 VM would definitely not boot a Windows installation built on an MBR disk and configured for Legacy BIOS booting.

Thank you for your reply jphughan, unfortunately my Win7 drive is a GPT disk... Can't do much about it than.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (6.6K reputation)
Zzzzu - 15 February 2018 7:20 PM

Thank you for your reply jphughan, unfortunately my Win7 drive is a GPT disk... Can't do much about it than.

Yeah, unfortunately that's a Hyper-V limitation.  It you really wanted viBoot capability for images of the source system, you actually can restore the source system itself in such a way that it will be set up for Legacy BIOS rather than UEFI booting, in which case it will be on an MBR disk and therefore viBoot will work.  Macrium has a guide for this here, but obviously that may not be desirable.  However, if you decide to bite that bullet, you shouldn't have any problems.  The only reasons I can think why you would need a Windows 7 system on a GPT disk would be if you wanted any partitions on the OS disk to be larger than 2TB or you didn't want to be stuck with MBR's limitation of 4 primary partitions; the latter is typically only a problem in systems that are configured to boot multiple OSes, because if you just need additional partitions for data, that can be achieved on an MBR diskby using an extended partition that contains multiple logical volumes.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...