How to include a driver

Author
Docfxit
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a new hard drive.  I created a rescue media on a different PC.  Under Devices with no drivers it says it needs
Ethernet Controller VEN_8086 DEV_15B7 NIC
I have downloaded and put on a USB the file from Lenovo for LAN drivers M910T.
Macrium Reflect doesn't recognize the exe files.
How can I get the driver files for Macrium Reflect.
I don't have a bootable drive to install Macrium Reflect so it can create a rescue drive.
The image I need to restore is on a network drive.
This machine doesn't have a DVD.
The images are to large for a USB.
Thanks,
Docfxit

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
You have to use extracted drivers that include INF files.  Drivers in EXE format won't work, mostly because there's no single standard around how drivers are packaged within EXEs.  However, based on the Lenovo driver EXEs I've worked with, when you run them, the first step is to prompt you to specify a folder path where the drivers are to be extracted.  See whether that's the case, and if so, allow the EXE to do that and then simply cancel the actual installer application (if it even runs automatically).  Then go to the folder where those files were extracted and see what you have.  Googling that VEN and DEV string indicates that the NIC is an Intel version.  Their drivers are often under a folder called "Production", and then there are individual subfolders for various versions of Windows, both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64).  If so, find the folder for the Windows version that corresponds to the version of WinPE you built your Rescue Media with and copy it to the \Drivers\Network folder of your Rescue Media.  Your network card should now work in the Rescue environment.  If you don't know which Windows version corresponds to your Rescue Media, boot the Rescue Media and check the title bar at the very top of the display, which will show the Windows PE version that it's using, and then refer to the list below:

WinPE 3.1 = Windows 7
WinPE 4 = Windows 8
WinPE 5 = Windows 8.1
WinPE 10 = Windows 10

Edited 13 February 2018 4:49 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
UPDATE: I went and looked for the Intel LAN driver for your M910T system.  The correct file is this one, and it does indeed allow extraction, but it uses an older folder structure than what I described above.  When you extract it, go to the \PRO1000\Winx64 directory and then you'll see multiple subfolders.  Each of those has a ReadMe.txt file inside it that identifies which version of Windows that folder's drivers are intended to be used with, so you can figure out which folder you need to copy to your Rescue Media that way.  And in case just copying it to that folder doesn't work, try going through the Create Rescue Media wizard and on the driver page, click Add Drivers and select the appropriate folder.  That mechanism will additionally package that driver into the Boot.wim file that actually loads the Rescue environment.  I don't think that's necessary for network drivers, but just in case.  Good luck!

Edited 13 February 2018 4:57 AM by jphughan
Docfxit
Docfxit
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
jphughan - 13 February 2018 4:53 AM
UPDATE: I went and looked for the Intel LAN driver for your M910T system.  The correct file is this one, and it does indeed allow extraction, but it uses an older folder structure than what I described above.  When you extract it, go to the \PRO1000\Winx64 directory and then you'll see multiple subfolders.  Each of those has a ReadMe.txt file inside it that identifies which version of Windows that folder's drivers are intended to be used with, so you can figure out which folder you need to copy to your Rescue Media that way.  And in case just copying it to that folder doesn't work, try going through the Create Rescue Media wizard and on the driver page, click Add Drivers and select the appropriate folder.  That mechanism will additionally package that driver into the Boot.wim file that actually loads the Rescue environment.  I don't think that's necessary for network drivers, but just in case.  Good luck!

Thank you very much.  That worked.
Docfxit
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...