Live Update Settings to support auto patching

Author
Fulghumjd
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Why can't Macrium Reflect for Home base
code or Macrium support supply me a script that can perform the
software check download if needed, and apply and reboot?

Is there a script that is available to
perform the check, download, install, and reboot?  I have placed a ticket and the Macrium support team have replied that patching is a manual process ONLY.  

I would like to know:
1) where is the install log file of the
current version located?

2) I can
check the upgrade/patch log and review if any updates have
occurred and review the results using a script?
3) Use a script to perform all the above and do the download ( if needed), apply patch and reboot the PC ( if needed)​

This is 2018 - not 1990 -  I have my
Windows 10 laptop to automatically: 

1. Macrium to perform backups each morning and emails me the
    success or failure log with details

2. Microsoft - to perform Automatic Maintenance when I'm not
    using my computer - which includes software updates, security
    scanning, and system diagnostics

3. Microsoft Windows Defender to scan and report antivirus
    results

This is the case with most all the software on this Windows 10 PC
and others I support.

The Macrium backup would be used to recover should any software
patch be defective. 

Windows 10 has the task scheduler which Macrium clearly uses this
function, so why can't Macrium support improve the patch process?

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
The install log is created on the root of your C drive (I think called ReflectInstall or something), but I believe the log files of patch operations are stored elsewhere.

In fairness, the behavior of Windows automatically installing updates and restarting your PC is an exception, not standard application behavior.  Most applications don't automatically update themselves and restart your PC, nor do I think most users would want that.  Microsoft themselves faced massive user backlash when they implemented that behavior on Windows 10 before they added more controls about when the restart occurred.  it worked.  There were news reports about Windows instances powering critical medical equipment spontaneously restarting in the middle of surgical procedures, for example, not to mention frequent cases of presenters being interrupted and then having to wait for a potentially long update installation.  And in any case, given the critical role that Reflect serves and the fact that updates don't always go well, I personally wouldn't want Reflect updating automatically even if a restart would NOT be required.  I'd rather be there when the update runs so that I can take immediate action if it fails.

However, I think there would be value in a mechanism whereby Reflect automatically checked for updates in the background and popped up a system tray notification when an update was available, rather like Java and Adobe applications do today. That could be done whenever Reflect ran even as a scheduled task, or it could be handled by the background service that Reflect already installs.  This could be particularly useful given that I suspect there are many cases where users simply allow scheduled backups to run in the background, and if their email notifications keep confirming that everything is going well, they might go quite a while before they actually open the application, in which case under the current design they could potentially go quite a while not realizing updates are available.  Maybe even add an option to send email notifications for update availability to cover scenarios like servers where users might not even log onto the OS at all for long periods and therefore wouldn't even see a system tray notification.

Edited 11 February 2018 7:00 PM by jphughan
Fulghumjd
Fulghumjd
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
jphughan - 11 February 2018 6:38 PM
The install log is created on the root of your C drive (I think called ReflectInstall or something), but I believe the log files of patch operations are stored elsewhere.

In fairness, the behavior of Windows automatically installing updates and restarting your PC is an exception, not standard application behavior.  Most applications don't automatically update themselves and restart your PC, nor do I think most users would want that, considering the user backlash that Microsoft themselves faced when they implemented that behavior on Windows 10 before adding more controls about how it worked.  There were news reports about Windows instances powering critical medical equipment spontaneously restarting in the middle of surgical procedures, for example, not to mention frequent cases of presenters being interrupted and then having to wait for a potentially long update installation.  And in any case, given the critical role that Reflect serves and the fact that updates don't always go well, I personally wouldn't want Reflect doing that; I'd rather be there when the update runs so that I can take immediate action if it fails.

However, given that Reflect already installs a background service, I think there would be value in a mechanism whereby Reflect automatically checked for updates in the background and popped up a system tray notification when an update was available, rather like Java and Adobe applications do today.

​Thanks for you reply.  I believe locating the patch log is needed vs. the install log.  I do understand that some users and business would like to have the control knobs on some devices for patch management.  These fits into a much larger control with tested install scripts and logs used by tools such as Symantec Patch Management Solution.  For me and the family PC's I help to support across the country,  having more automation is better then less automation.  I now like what Win10 has done to improve auto patch and various controls to manage per PC.  Such controls would be nice if offered by Macrium Reflect Home version.  The setting for Configure Update Check are misleading and do NOT perform these steps automatically, thus the reason for this post.  See attached file with my settings.  I LOVE Macrium Reflect with all the many methods to perform backups (images, folders) using batch file with VBS or other and notifications.  Having another method of notification ( email ) when a new patch is out would be a step in the right direction.  Providing more details where logs are kept ( not backup logs) would be another step in the right direction.  And having a Batch interface or other to perform update checks, download, install and restart with controls for each level would be another step in the right direction.  

Attachments
Configure Update Frequency.jpg (4 views, 27.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
The update setting technically specifies the maximum frequency that Reflect will check for updates, i.e. if you have Reflect set to check once per day and launch the application 5 times over the course of that day, it will only check for updates on the first launch of that day.  That is of course how most applications used to operate, but I agree that this setting has become a bit confusing by modern standards, since some applications nowadays have settings like that and use background services or scheduled tasks to check for updates at the specified interval even if the application is NOT explicitly launched by the user during that time.

We're on the same wavelength with the idea about email notifications for updates, since it seems I was actually editing my earlier post to add that idea for the unattended server use case when you were writing yours. Smile

The bulk of this thread now probably belongs in the Wish List section, but I actually maintain an "Aggregated quick win feature requests" thread in there (thread link here) that lists various relatively low-complexity but potentially high-value feature requests that are scattered throughout this forum, along with links back to the original discussion.  I've added this one.

Edited 11 February 2018 8:04 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...