Restore a Differential Image

Author
Steven Marty
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm a bit embarrased I can't find this in the KB or existing forum posts...

I want to performing a restore of C: on a Windows 7 box from rescue media.  I have a full image backup (from 02/04/18) and a differential image backup (from last night).

Do I select the differential image backup and restore that?  Will it automatically restore the full image backup and then the differential image backup?  Or do I need to select the full image backup, restore that, and then select and restore the differential image backup?

Thank you!

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
You need to just select the DIFFERENTIAL image or any point in time you wish... Reflect will get what it needs from the FULL image during the restore.  If your restore options have RDR (Rapid Delta Restore) enabled (it should be the DEFAULT), only the bits and pieces (that are needed) from the FULL image will be restored, not the entire image.

You will have what you want when it finishes...

Edited 10 February 2018 1:29 AM by Froggie
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)
Froggie - 10 February 2018 1:28 AM
You need to just select the DIFFERENTIAL image or any point in time you wish... Reflect will get what it needs from the FULL image during the restore.  If your restore options have RDR (Rapid Delta Restore) enabled (it should be the DEFAULT), only the bits and pieces (that are needed) from the FULL image will be restored, not the entire image.

Awesome.  Thanks for the very fast reply!
Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Steven Marty - 10 February 2018 1:37 AM
Froggie - 10 February 2018 1:28 AM

Awesome.  Thanks for the very fast reply!

Let me add to this that every backup file contains an index, this being a sort of 'photo' of the situation when the backup was made.
This index is the leading factor during the restore. It shows how the system looked like when the backup was taken.
Then the program begins by restoring the necessary baseline files (this being the full-volume backup). After that, all following incrementals
or differentials are checked to see if there are more recent versions. This process stops when the last backup file has been used.
 As a user it's up to you to tell the program what the last backup file is to be used. You might call this a point-in-time restore.

Good luck!

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Edited 10 February 2018 1:08 PM by Hendrick99
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
Hendrick, one minor correction to your excellent description above.  When you say... "Then the program begins by restoring the necessary baseline files (this being the full-volume backup)," the FULL is not completely restored.  Only the disk clusters that are in the selected Index, that existed in the baseline and not in the current on-disk Index, will be restored from the baseline... not the entire baseline.  This is the heart of the Rapid Delta Restore technology that Macrium developed that makes their restorations so quick compared to other imaging solutions.  Most other solutions, indeed, do restore the entire FULL baseline before applying the ongoing Differentialsl/Incrementals to complete the restoration... and even then they apply the entire Diff/Inc images rather than just the pieces they need from those images... the Macrium restoration is much, much quicker due to its unique RDR processing.
Edited 10 February 2018 1:10 PM by Froggie
Hendrick99
Hendrick99
Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)Junior Member (59 reputation)
Froggie - 10 February 2018 1:08 PM
Hendrick, one minor correction to your excellent description above.  When you say... "Then the program begins by restoring the necessary baseline files (this being the full-volume backup)," the FULL is not completely restored.  Only the disk clusters that are in the selected Index, that existed in the baseline and not in the current on-disk Index, will be restored from the baseline... not the entire baseline.  This is the heart of the Rapid Delta Restore technology that Macrium developed that makes their restorations so quick compared to other imaging solutions.  Most other solutions, indeed, do restore the entire FULL baseline before applying the ongoing Differentialsl/Incrementals to complete the restoration... and even then they apply the entire Diff/Inc images rather than just the pieces they need from those images... the Macrium restoration is much, much quicker due to its unique RDR processing.

Hi Froggie,

Thank you for your kind words.
I don't want to sound silly, but I never stated that the program would do a full and complete restore.
That is why I used the term "Then the program begins by restoring the necessary baseline files".
Sorry for any misunderstandings...

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Steven Marty
Steven Marty
Thanks again to you both for your helpful replies.  The restore went perfectly!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...