File and Folder backup - Cannot select individual file/files

Author
Roger
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am using a trial version, version 7.2885.

I am trying to create a F&F backup but cannot select individual files. For example, i have folder F:\Photos with seven subfolders and i am not interested in backing up the subfolders. I want to backup the individual files in the folder F:\Photos but the only way to do that seems to be: Select the F:\Photos for backup and then use "Add any folders to exclude" and the manually add the seven subfolders, one by one.

Is that the correct way or what did i miss?

Since the backup task is named File and Folder i expect that i can select individual files as well, without excluding subfolders, etc. Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
If you want to back up the files at the root of F:\Photos while excluding ALL subfolders (which will include any subfolders you create in the future), then add F:\Photos as your folder to back up and enter "*" in the "olders to exclude" field.

Edited 7 February 2018 7:39 PM by jphughan
Roger
Roger
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Thanks, but there are actually no way to select individual files in a F&F backup?

Let´s say that i in my example have ten files in the root of F:\Photos but am only interested of backing up three of them, then it becomes messy and time consuming fast, especially if the file format is the same...

I do video editing and all video files are large and already backed up, so i only need some project files here and there that the video editing applications create. That´s why i am interested in picking some files only. Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Not that I know of.  The name "File and Folder" is meant to distinguish those backups from image backups that capture an entire partition at a block level, rather than file-level backups.  Of course there's no reason individual files COULDN'T be defined, I suppose, but if I had to guess, the level of demand for backing up specific files within a folder rather than at least all of the files in a given folder (excluding all subfolders) is low.  It would also likely trigger errors when files are inevitably moved, renamed, deleted, etc.

Edited 8 February 2018 12:17 AM by jphughan
Roger
Roger
O.k! This is the first backup application i have ever tried that have F&F as an option but is uncapable of actually selecting files. It´s like walking in to a hamburger place and find out that they only serves sushi and not any hamburgers at all. I find it odd that Macrium even mention the word file in F&F. I have never encountered any error message if a targeted file in a backup job were inevitably moved, renamed, deleted, etc in all other backup applications i have tried during the last two decades.

This very issue and the fact that it takes to much clicks to select several folders made me uninstall the trial.

Thanks for your help! Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Out of curiosity, what did those other applications do when you renamed, moved, or deleted a file you had directly named for backup?  Just continue backing everything else up silently?  If I told a backup application, "I want you to back up this specific file" and then that application couldn't find that file anymore, I would expect it to warn me that it can't find the file I had asked it to back up, not just carry on silently -- after all, what if that file was accidentally deleted and I simply happen not to notice it right away?  Depending on my retention policy, I could conceivably end up purging all of the backups I had that contained that file before I realized it had been deleted, at which point I would no longer have a copy of that file anywhere and would never have received a warning from my backup application that something was amiss.

Roger
Roger
None of the applications have warned about it, but i have not done those tests iow targeting files/folders for backup and then move/delete some of the targeted files to see what the backup applications actually does or does not. The files i work with are files that i will discover right away if they are gone and i save full backups to offsite site storage once a week. Smile

Out of curiosity, how do Macrium Reflect handle those situations? I uninstalled it so i cannot test it. Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If one of the "top-level" folders in your list is deleted, Reflect throws a job failure error saying "Folder not found" the next time the job runs.  Of course you can delete subfolders and such without any problems, but at least in my opinion this is exactly the behavior you'd want.  It would be rather equivalent to having an image job to back up a certain partition and then not having that partition available.  That would be something the user would probably want to know about.

Anyhow, if you're only interested in backing up a few files in a folder while excluding all other subfolders and even some other files at that same folder level, then although you could certainly achieve that with Reflect by filling out the "Add files to include" field appropriately in the F&F job, Reflect isn't the best tool for your purposes, as you've clearly already concluded.

Roger
Roger
jphughan, your comment regarding warnings is very interesting and i decided to do a test. I used Acronis True Image 2018, CloudBerry Backup and CloudBacko Lite and made a local backup and targeted two folders for backup. The first backup ran without issues on all three applications as expected. Then i deleted one folder and ran the backups again and this is what happened:

- Acronis True Image 2018: Completed successfully. No warnings at all...
- CloudBerry Backup: Completed with a warning that says "Warning. One or more backup paths don´t exist."
- CloudBacko Lite: "Backup completed with warnings"

CloudBerry Backup was best since the backup job itself changed color from the default light green to light orange/red when it compledted with errors.

Acronis True Image 2018 did report the error in the logs, but for some reason Acronis decided to remove the ability for the end user to read the logs so i had to download a third party tool anf found "File or folder 'F:\Folder_01\' cannot be found." but still the backup finished without warnings. This is yet another reason why i am looking for a new backup application to use since True Image is my main application today.

Thanks for your input! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...