Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Author
sgartner
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I am getting an error when doing backups.  The error is "Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 23 - Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." I have tested every connected drive for errors and cannot find any problems.  The error does not say what drive is throwing the error.  I don't know what else to do to figure out why it is getting the error.  I've looked in the logs and there is no further error.  The VSS log file shows no errors at all.

My backups have not occurred for a couple of days now, so I really need to get this figured out.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It's probably the disk you're trying to back up.  If you haven't already, run CHKDSK /R against the partition(s) you're backing up.  If you're backing up some partitions that don't currently have drive letters assigned (as is the case when backing up the partitions necessary to run Windows), then you can use diskpart to temporarily assign them drive letters so that you can run CHKDSK /R against those partitions as well.  Note that running CHKDSK with the /R option can take a very long time because it scans every cluster within the partition.

Edited 6 February 2018 5:52 PM by jphughan
sgartner
sgartner
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 6 February 2018 5:51 PM
It's probably the disk you're trying to back up.  If you haven't already, run CHKDSK /R against the partition(s) you're backing up.  If you're backing up some partitions that don't currently have drive letters assigned (as is the case when backing up the partitions necessary to run Windows), then you can use diskpart to temporarily assign them drive letters so that you can run CHKDSK /R against those partitions as well.  Note that running CHKDSK with the /R option can take a very long time because it scans every cluster within the partition.

Thanks for the reply.  I had run chkdsk, but had not scanned all bits.  I'll do that and see if it finds anything.  I wish the error had made it clear which drive had the error (one of the ones being backed up or the one it was writing).  The drive I'm backing up is an SSD and I did run the Micron SSD tool on the drive and it found no errors.  Really frustrating...
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
sgartner - 6 February 2018 6:04 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I had run chkdsk, but had not scanned all bits.  I'll do that and see if it finds anything.  I wish the error had made it clear which drive had the error (one of the ones being backed up or the one it was writing).  The drive I'm backing up is an SSD and I did run the Micron SSD tool on the drive and it found no errors.  Really frustrating...

Hi, it's a 'Read' error so it's the source disk that's being read, and it's the partition that was being backed up at the time, Please see here:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Imaging+disks+with+bad+sectors

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

sgartner
sgartner
Nick - 6 February 2018 7:18 PM

Hi, it's a 'Read' error so it's the source disk that's being read, and it's the partition that was being backed up at the time, Please see here:

I doesn't actually follow that read could only mean the source drives.  It's not like they only write to the output drive, they have to read as well if only to manage directory structures, but creating any partial backup requires reading a lot of data from the backup drive to determine what does and doesn't need to be backed up (to build the "delta").

Either way, I've now run a deep scan on all drives with chkdsk as well as dedicated testing tools and found no errors at all, so it's still a mystery what's going on.

sgartner
sgartner

More information.  Since I couldn't find any errors on any of the drives, I thought I would do a full verification on the most recent backup and I got this concerning error:

I have to believe the problems are related.  Since these files are created and read only by Reflect I'm not sure how the permissions can get screwed up. 

And, of course, here is another example of an error that could give me much more information about exactly what file it was trying to access when the error occurred! 

I instead only did a verification on the last file listed and strangely it produces a Permission denied error 41% into verifying just this one file.  How can it have permission to the first 41% of the file and not permission on the 42nd percent?  I don't get this at all. 

So, I tried just copying the file and I get the following very strange error:

I can only assume that this is the real problem and the "permission" error given by reflect is a red herring.

Edited 7 February 2018 12:49 AM by sgartner
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
What happens if you try to copy that file using the regular Windows copy function, perhaps to a location other than that same folder? And where are those files stored, e.g. local drive, NAS appliance, file share hosted by another Windows PC, etc.? Permissions are typically set on the parent folder (or some even higher parent folder) with files just inheriting those as opposed to being set directly on individual files.  Although the latter is supported, Reflect doesn't set custom permissions on files it generates.  That said, I too am puzzled by an error encountered partway through the file being chalked up to permissions.

And just in case there is something irreparably wrong with your backup set, I would create a new Full backup right away just to be safe if you have enough storage to do so -- or at least a Diff backup since it appears your Full backup verified successfully. You can always delete that backup later, after all, and if the backup and verification errors are in fact related, you may find that Reflect CAN create a Full or Diff backup even if it's not creating Inc backups.  In fact, that would be a useful test.
Edited 7 February 2018 2:08 AM by jphughan
sgartner
sgartner
jphughan - 7 February 2018 1:15 AM
What happens if you try to copy that file using the regular Windows copy function, perhaps to a location other than that same folder? And where are those files stored, e.g. local drive, NAS appliance, file share hosted by another Windows PC, etc.? Permissions are typically set on the parent folder (or some even higher parent folder) with files just inheriting those as opposed to being set directly on individual files.  Although the latter is supported, Reflect doesn't set custom permissions on files it generates.  That said, I too am puzzled by an error encountered partway through the file being chalked up to permissions.

And just in case there is something irreparably wrong with your backup set, I would create a new Full backup right away just to be safe if you have enough storage to do so -- or at least a Diff backup since it appears your Full backup verified successfully. You can always delete that backup later, after all, and if the backup and verification errors are in fact related, you may find that Reflect CAN create a Full or Diff backup even if it's not creating Inc backups.  In fact, that would be a useful test.

So, I can confirm that there were multiple issues, but they are all with the destination drive.  Even though the drive passes SMART and seemed to be good at least one of the MRIMG files in the backup set is corrupted (possibly other stuff, obviously).  I think the USB cable connecting the drive had gone bad.  A new cable made the drive speed up a bit and stopped giving me the semaphore timeout.  I'm hoping that it was the bad cable (versus a bad backup drive) that caused corruption.  Clearly, however, the tests for this encrypted drive are not as complete as I thought they were (since it passed them with clear issues remaining on the drive).

However, I tried having Reflect create a new full backup (into the same directory) and it failed with the same error, so it is still trying to read the last differential.  I guess it was trying to combine some of the files to cut down on space usage. 

My next step is to move the backup drive to another computer which has forensic tools on it and see if it can recover the file that has problems (I'd still like to have the historical backups just in case).  In the meantime I will do a full backup to a new location.

Thanks for the advice!

jphughan
jphughan
A popular phrase among people who deal frequently with hard drives is that "SMART is dumb".  Unfortunately, it's not at all unusual for SMART to report that everything is ok right up until a drive fails.  Another complication is that tools designed to check for file system errors (like CHKDSK in its regular mode) won't catch hardware-level problems, and vice versa, so if you're only looking for problems at the wrong "level" of the drive, you might miss the problems that exist on the other.

Still, you should have been able to create a new Full backup.  Reflect wouldn't need to touch or even access the last Differential to create a new Full.  Combining files is only possible between Incrementals (or between Incrementals and a Full if you're using Synthetic Fulls, but you wouldn't be if you run any Diffs), but that function is related to the Incremental retention policy, and therefore it would only ever occur if the current job were creating a new Incremental.  If you're creating a new Full, the only thing that MIGHT happen depending on your retention policy would be the deletion of an old Full, along with all of its child backups.  Even if you triggered the low disk space threshold purge, that would simply delete the oldest Full and all of its children rather than trying to combine anything.  So bottom line, if you can't create a new Full, something is still wrong, either with the destination or the source.  Hopefully you can get a good backup to another location at least as an interim solution!

Edited 7 February 2018 4:23 AM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
sgartner - 6 February 2018 11:16 PM

I doesn't actually follow that read could only mean the source drives.  It's not like they only write to the output drive, they have to read as well if only to manage directory structures, but creating any partial backup requires reading a lot of data from the backup drive to determine what does and doesn't need to be backed up (to build the "delta").

Either way, I've now run a deep scan on all drives with chkdsk as well as dedicated testing tools and found no errors at all, so it's still a mystery what's going on.

Just to clarify. The backup process only Reads from the source drive not from the target. The error in the log was a CRC error on the source drive.  You may also have problems wit the target drive, but the error in your opening post was thrown by the drive you are imaging not the target. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 7 February 2018 9:25 AM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...