After Inline Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, Wont Boot Unless External Drives are Unplugged

After Inline Upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, Wont Boot Unless External...
Author
ciscotek9
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have two Seagate External 8TB drives. I installed the latest version of Macrium 7.x on Windows 7 x64 with no problem. Machine rebooted with no problem when drives are plugged in.

I performed an inline upgrade from Windows 7x64 Pro to Windows 10x64 Pro.

The machine will not reboot completely unless the external drives are unplugged.

Grasping at straws since I've already contacted Seagate and they say it's a problem with the OS.

I've already checked the cables, switched the USB ports, and checked the BIOS boot order to make sure USB is not first.

Anyone have this problem with Macrium/Guardian Service installed?
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
What exactly happens when the drives are connected?  Does it throw an error or just hang, and does this occur while trying to restart, when trying to boot again but before it has actually booted from your hard drive, or after it has started to load Windows but before it gets to the logon screen?  If it errors/hangs while trying to restart, can you successfullyboot the PC from a cold shutdown while the drives are connected?

I remember years ago I had a motherboard that under an older BIOS release would not boot if I had my iPhone connected at the time, regardless of boot order.  My only guess is that part of its boot routine involved scanning for possible boot devices such as USB flash drives and it didn't know what to make of a smartphone, but didn't simply move past it either.  That was cured with a BIOS update (have you done that yet?), although if a BIOS update resolves your issue, I can't account for why this behavior would have arisen in connection with upgrading to a newer Windows release, unless maybe you also ran the MBR2GPT utility to switch from Legacy BIOS boot to the newer UEFI boot mechanism?

You might also try uninstalling and reinstalling Reflect now that you've upgraded, just in case it sets something up differently for Windows 10 compared to Windows 7.  The uninstaller defaults to preserving your settings, schedules, definition files, etc, so it's pretty painless.

Edited 6 February 2018 3:04 PM by jphughan
ciscotek9
ciscotek9
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
jphughan - 6 February 2018 3:02 PM
What exactly happens when the drives are connected?  Does it throw an error or just hang, and does this occur while trying to restart, when trying to boot again but before it has actually booted from your hard drive, or after it has started to load Windows but before it gets to the logon screen?  If it errors/hangs while trying to restart, can you successfullyboot the PC from a cold shutdown while the drives are connected?

I remember years ago I had a motherboard that under an older BIOS release would not boot if I had my iPhone connected at the time, regardless of boot order.  My only guess is that part of its boot routine involved scanning for possible boot devices such as USB flash drives and didn't know what to make of a smartphone, but didn't simply move past it either.  That was cured with a BIOS update (have you done that yet?), although if a BIOS update resolves your issue, I can't account for why this behavior would have arisen in connection with upgrading to a newer Windows release, unless maybe you also ran the MBR2GPT utility to switch from Legacy BIOS boot to the newer UEFI boot mechanism?

thanks jphughan

this is an older Gigabyte motherboard, purchased in 2010. I searched for a BIOS update but the latest was from 2012.

I've tried from both restart and cold boot. Same effect. the machine stops on the BIOS splash screen.

I never ran MBR2GPT utility - i downloaded Win 10 from Microsoft directly and ran the upgrade straight from the installer. 
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
Ok, well the MBR2GPT utility probably wouldn't even be useful on your motherboard since it's unlikely a motherboard from 2010 supports UEFI booting.  This issue is very strange.  The fact that this only surfaced after upgrading to Windows 10 would certainly suggest that it's a software issue, but the fact that you get stuck at the BIOS splash screen, before Windows loads at all, would seem to rule out a software issue.

I know this would be a bit of a time commitment, but one option would be to back up your entire system with Reflect, then wipe the internal drive and reinstall Windows 7 cleanly just to establish that you can in fact still boot that OS while those drives are attached.  If so, then try wiping the system again and installing Windows 10 from scratch to see if that changes anything.  If that works, it would be up to you whether to manually reinstall your applications and extract your data from your Reflect backup, but if you see this issue even after a clean install, then you may as well just restore the full image backup you captured before experimenting, and I guess you'd have a compatibility issue between your motherboard, Windows 10, and those drives, although I can't even imagine what the cause of that conflict would be.

If even a clean install doesn't fix this (or you don't want to commit that much time), another possibility might be buying a USB 3.0 PCI Express expansion card and connecting your drives to that.  They're not very expensive, and actually does your 2010-era motherboard even have USB 3.0?  If not, then the throughput improvement over USB 2.0 would be a worthwhile upgrade anyway, especially if you're dealing with enough data to have a pair of 8TB drives.

One further idea: Does your motherboard have a hotkey to access a one-time boot menu? If so, can you get to that while your external drives are connected, and does selecting your internal drive there allow Windows to start?

Edited 6 February 2018 3:50 PM by jphughan
ciscotek9
ciscotek9
I tried to futureproof when I bought this motherboard so it actually does have USB 3 and Firewire. I have the 8TB drives connected to USB3 and have been doing my backups and images that way.

Was working great until the Win10 upgrade.

I hate going down the route you suggest but that might be the only way. Was hoping Macrium was an issue only because that was the last thing I installed a few days before the upgrade to Win 10.

Thanks again!
jphughan
jphughan
I really doubt Reflect is the issue, but you may as well try uninstalling and reinstalling it now just in case it does install differently when run under Win10.  It will only take a few minutes, so if you get lucky you'll have saved yourself quite a bit of time.

Edited 6 February 2018 4:17 PM by jphughan
ciscotek9
ciscotek9
jphughan - 6 February 2018 4:16 PM
I really doubt Reflect is the issue, but you may as well try uninstalling and reinstalling it now just in case it does install differently when run under Win10.  It will only take a few minutes, so if you get lucky you'll have saved yourself quite a bit of time.

Very true. Will try that and see. Thanks.
stephen_c
stephen_c
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
What happens if you boot into W10 without the external drives connected, and then connect them after boot up has completed?

ciscotek9
ciscotek9

Windows 10 boots fine if I unplug the drives. Now here's the funny thing....

When I plug them back in when W10 is up one the of the drive appears fine and the other one doesnt show at all in File Explorer or Disk Management.

Sometimes I see both of them. Then I unplug them both then reboot, then plug them back in after Windows comes up and then only one shows. Just weird.

Thanks stephen_c
stephen_c
stephen_c
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
I'm wondering if the size of the partitions on the external drives is at the root of the problem.  You may need to limit the partitions to 2TB.

Edited 6 February 2018 10:00 PM by stephen_c
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...