reflectbin.exe running at wrong priority

Author
JohnBennett
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Despite my setting minimum priority in the defaults, each time a new backup starts, reflectbin.exe is running "above normal priority" which severely impacts performance.
I had the same problem in the previous version.
John

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
JohnBennett - 5 February 2018 5:16 AM
Despite my setting minimum priority in the defaults, each time a new backup starts, reflectbin.exe is running "above normal priority" which severely impacts performance.
I had the same problem in the previous version.
John

Hi John

The priority option in the backup wizard sets thread execution priority. What type of backup are you running that is affecting system performance?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

JohnBennett
JohnBennett
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Hi Nick
Are you saying there is another priority setting besides defaults?
The backups are complete and incremental backups of various folders, to or from a NAS
John

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.5K reputation)
JohnBennett - 5 February 2018 9:41 AM
Hi Nick
Are you saying there is another priority setting besides defaults?
The backups are complete and incremental backups of various folders, to or from a NAS
John

There's only one priority setting and it affects the thread execution priority of the various threads in the backup process.  The 'Default' option is also shown in the running backup dialog and is also adjustable when the backup is running. 

File and Folder backup can be intensive if a lot (10s or 100s of thousands of small files) are being backed up.  Please read this KB article to see if it's relevant to your situation:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Very+slow+File+and+Folder+backups

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

JohnBennett
JohnBennett
Hi Nick
With respect I don't think the KB is relevant to me.
I have set lowest priority in the defaults, but Task Manager tells me the process is running "Above Normal priority" in the Details tab.
John

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
JohnBennett - 5 February 2018 10:48 AM
Hi Nick
With respect I don't think the KB is relevant to me.
I have set lowest priority in the defaults, but Task Manager tells me the process is running "Above Normal priority" in the Details tab.
John

Hi

The KB article was just a FYI as we didn't know what AV software you are running. Can you temporarily disable any AV software you are running to see if it's having a negative impact?

The priority setting sets the thread execution priority not process.

The lowest level set is THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST class.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms685100(v=vs.85).aspx

However, it's NTFS that crawls the system when scanning for lots of files. How many files are you backing up in your File and Folder backup?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 5 February 2018 12:17 PM by Nick
JohnBennett
JohnBennett
That was informative thanks.
If the default priority sets a thread priority, what sets the process priority? That's where I have a problem. (I'll try to get a screen shot).
The backups are fairly sizable.
1. All of my account gets backed up to the NAS, full monthly and incremental daily.
2. I have a folder called shared files on the NAS, these are files I can work on from any machine. These are backed up to my laptop, full monthly and incremental daily.
AV is Windows Defender, I can disable it though I can't imagine it would interfere with another process's priority
BTW I am on Win 10, fully updated.

JohnBennett
JohnBennett

As the screen dump shows, the process reflectbin is running above normal priority
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
As Nick said, thread priority and process priority are not the same thing, and the setting within Reflect adjusts the former.  There doesn't appear to be a way to change the latter within Reflect, although I don't know if that would make any practical difference if the thread(s) Reflect is using have already been deprioritized.

Edited 8 February 2018 6:48 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Also, at least according to a post by Nick in this thread, the priority setting within Reflect doesn't apply to F&F backups at all anyway; it only applies to image backups.  Note that you don't see a way to adjust priority in your F&F job window, whereas it's available in the screenshot below that shows an image backup.

Edited 8 February 2018 7:02 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...