USB 3.0

Author
pstoric83
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
When using Macrium v7 to hold or cold (PE3.1) clone using Windows 7 should iit run at USB 3.0 speeds if I'm using a 3.0 USB port or does that only work on windows 10?
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
The answer seems to depend on the system.  In most cases on PE 3.1 / Win7, if you have USB 3.0 drivers, then the USB 3.0 ports will work at 3.0 speeds, and if you don't have those drivers, they simply won't work at all -- but a few people here have reported that without drivers, their 3.0 ports run at 2.0 speeds.  And there are still other systems where even their USB 2.0 ports are somehow wired to a 3.0 controller such that even the 2.0 ports don't work without USB 3.0 drivers.  However, there's absolutely no problem using PE 10 for your Rescue Media even if you're not actually running Windows 10.  Reflect defaults to using the PE version that corresponds to the "real" Windows version you're running to maximize compatibility and make it possible for Reflect to add drivers to your Rescue Media by pulling them straight from your "real" Windows environment.  If you use a different PE version, the latter may not always work, but newer PE versions have broader hardware support built in, so they may not need additional drivers to begin with.  Another situation where it can be handy to run newer PE versions is when migrating to a new PC.  There are threads here where people have tried to migrate their old PC's backup onto a new PC and asked why their Rescue Media can't see their external hard drive (and sometimes even their keyboard and mouse) or the new system's internal drive, and the answer was that they were using PE 3.1 with no support for USB 3.0, Serial IO (aka I2C), or NVMe.  I've noticed that PE 10 finally added DPI scaling support, which is handy since my 15" laptop only offers 3200x1800 resolution in PE when booted in UEFI mode, and that meant that previous PE versions had absolutely microscopic text.

I would recommend doing a test build of PE 10-based Rescue Media (Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media > Change PE Version).  Some older systems apparently have trouble booting PE versions newer than 3.1, and if you encounter that, then you can always go back.  But if your system boots the PE 10 Rescue Media successfully, I would stick with it.

Edited 1 February 2018 4:49 PM by jphughan
pstoric83
pstoric83
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Wow thanks for the detail. Appreciate it!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...