cloning to a ssd m.2 pcie unit

Author
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have bought but not yet recived a ssd  m.2 250gb and am planing to clone my system disk with windows to this. it is not a sata but a pcie 3.0 disk with 32/15 gb transfer.
have anyone tried this and do you think it will succed.
Best regards Jorn​​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
It works just fine.  Just make sure your Rescue Media is built using at least WinPE 4.0, although I'd recommend just going straight to WinPE 10 unless your system has trouble booting from Rescue Media built on that version.  The reason for the WinPE version recommendation is that WinPE 3.1 (which uses the Windows 7 kernel) doesn't support NVMe/PCIe SSDs.  Some systems offer a BIOS configuration option that masks the NVMe interface behind a storage controller. That allows WinPE 3.1 / Windows 7 to work with NVMe SSDs, but only if you also supply the necessary driver for that storage controller.  And actually, if your system is configured that way, you might need to supply that storage controller driver to access your SSD even if you use a newer WinPE version for your Rescue Media.  But if your system is NOT set up that way and instead exposes just the "raw" NVMe interface, then WinPE 4.0 or newer will see that SSD immediately with no drivers required since they support NVMe natively.

You can check your WinPE version by booting your Rescue Media and looking at the title bar (the very top edge of the screen), where both the Reflect and WinPE versions will be displayed.  If you need to change the latter, launch Reflect under "real" Windows, go to Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media, click "Change PE Version", select the desired version, and proceed through the wizard all the way to creating new Rescue Media.

Edited 1 February 2018 4:02 AM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Just fyi, it looks like there was an update today specifically to improve ReDeploy functionality when dealing with NVMe SSDs.  I would recommend getting that and rebuilding your Rescue Media before performing your clone.  Depending on your system's configuration, it's possible that you won't even need to run ReDeploy at all for it to boot, so I personally would try just performing the clone, shutting down, removing the source drive (to make sure you boot to the expected drive) and then seeing whether your system boots off the new SSD.  If so, then you're done.  If you see an error, then boot to your Rescue Media again and run ReDeploy at that point.

Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
jphughan - 1 February 2018 7:03 PM
Just fyi, it looks like there was an update today specifically to improve ReDeploy functionality when dealing with NVMe SSDs.  I would recommend getting that and rebuilding your Rescue Media before performing your clone.  Depending on your system's configuration, it's possible that you won't even need to run ReDeploy at all for it to boot, so I personally would try just performing the clone, shutting down, removing the source drive (to make sure you boot to the expected drive) and then seeing whether your system boots off the new SSD.  If so, then you're done.  If you see an error, then boot to your Rescue Media again and run ReDeploy at that point.

Before i do the clone i will update the rescue media​. Then i will redirect the documents catalog to another hd. I will then clear what is possible from the temp dir and let Windows clear what is possible. then I will do the cone shrinking it to fit the NVMe 250gb SSD. That is my thoughts for now. I will get the rest to my computer to morrow. The motherboard is prepared for SSD and will boot to what is bootable, so it will choose the pcie if there is a bottable unit. I am using Windows 10 pro.
Thank you so much for your help. I will update my reflect​. I hope you can read my English even it is not perfect :-) 
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
Jorn (Jørn) Johanesson
wow it succeded with no problems at all even the macrium reflect on this Windows is free.
so my Windows now boot from the m2 ssd :-)​
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...