File and Folder Backup in Site Manager?

Author
Obl918
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a server that is hosing several vhds on a ReFS volume. Site Manager reports these volumes as "unformatted" which I understand is because it doesn't support ReFS (It would be better if it could report that the partition is not supported, since it is of course formatted).

As a workaround, I thought it would be nice if I could add specific files or folders to the imaging definition for the server. While I see that this is possible for the standard version of Reflect, I see no way to do this with site manager.

If this is possible, please point me to it.. if it's not, please consider this a feature request.

Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hi,

File and Folder backup is on the list to be implemented in Site Manager at a future date, but I can't give you any specific timeline on when this will happen. I'll pass along your request.

For now, you can configure a local File and Folder backup by running the 'Macrium Agent' on the client computer, this has all the features Reflect does and can create and locally schedule File and Folder backups.

Regards,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software
Obl918
Obl918
New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)New Member (15 reputation)
Alex - 1 February 2018 10:14 AM
For now, you can configure a local File and Folder backup by running the 'Macrium Agent' on the client computer, this has all the features Reflect does and can create and locally schedule File and Folder backups.

Is it safe to specify the repository location for this? I mean, can the local agent do it's own backups to the same location that Site Manager does, without any chance of conflicts?
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)Macrium Representative (92 reputation)
Obl918 - 1 February 2018 1:41 PM
Alex - 1 February 2018 10:14 AM

Is it safe to specify the repository location for this? I mean, can the local agent do it's own backups to the same location that Site Manager does, without any chance of conflicts?

Hi,
Within a repository, backups are stored in folders with the format COMPUTERNAME\{backup definition ID}, where the ID is listed in a text file in the repository root. So long as you avoid these folders, Site Manager won't interfere with any backup files. You can even create your own folders under the computer's name and Site Manager will leave these folders alone.

For example, on my Site Manager test environment, Site Manager backs up one of my machines to \\test-sm\repo\ALEX-TEST2\{C34A9E1F-6BD1-475C-82B0-D37BD4552ECB}\

I could set up a manual backup on ALEX-TEST2 to do a file and folder backup to \\test-sm\repo\ALEX-TEST2\filebackup\ and Site Manager will not cause any issues at all.

Hope this helps,
Alex Stevenson,
Macrium Software
Edited 1 February 2018 1:49 PM by Alex
Obl918
Obl918
Yes, I understand that -- what I meant was, can the local agent *use* the repository images to add to them? I am assuming from your reply that this is not recommended. :-)
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Obl918 - 1 February 2018 1:58 PM
Yes, I understand that -- what I meant was, can the local agent *use* the repository images to add to them? I am assuming from your reply that this is not recommended. :-)

I'm not sure I 100% understand what you mean here - a file and folder backup file is a different format to an image backup file, so the two types of backups would reside in separate files and have their own backup sets. So if you wanted an image backup of the C: partition and a file and folder backup of d:\myfiles\ you would have to set up two different backups for each rather than a single combined backup.
Obl918
Obl918
Got it. Thanks.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...