Backup of differential and Full image Suddenly started failing -- File not found

Backup of differential and Full image Suddenly started failing -- File...
Author
bwheater
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Last night backup of differential was tried twice and failed -- file not found.  Then I tried a full image backup and it failed -- file not found. So I gave up , shut down the machine and went to bed.  This afternoon after bootup I ran CHKDSK on the usb backup drive (connected thru a kensington 7 port hub) and there were no errors.  So I started a full Image backup in reflect and it went to completion.

I check last nights logs and see no meaningful error messages  - portions given below:
Starting Image - Friday, January 26, 2018 02:52:55
Initializing
Destination Drive: Backups2tbDisk (PSmile - Free Space 543.76 GB
Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Volume Snapshots Created
Analyzing file system on volume
Analyzing file system on volume C:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saving Partition - System
Reading File System Bitmap
Saving Partition
Gathering Windows Events - Please Wait

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The system cannot find the file specified.

============================================================================================
Tail of VSS log:
List of created shadow copies:

Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {6ba16633-b1f5-4f84-8d5d-874c40a149d7} ...

* SNAPSHOT ID = {63346310-280e-48df-85be-bd42c0ca9d3f} ...
 - Shadow copy Set: {6ba16633-b1f5-4f84-8d5d-874c40a149d7}
 - Original count of shadow copies = 1
 - Original Volume name: \\?\Volume{ef3e3a45-5d5d-11e1-ba9c-806e6f6e6963}\ [C:\]
 - Creation Time: 1/26/2018 2:53:03 AM
 - Shadow copy device name: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy44
 - Originating machine: r835p94
 - Service machine: r835p94
 - Not Exposed
 - Provider id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
 - Attributes: Auto_Release Differential
==================================================================================================
windows event log at about same time:

Date     1/26/2018 2:57:27 AM
Type     Information
Event     1532
Source    Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service

The User Profile Service has stopped.

Date     1/26/2018 2:57:22 AM
Type     Information
Event     9009
Source    Desktop Window Manager

The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004)

Date     1/26/2018 2:56:49 AM
Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout.

Date     1/26/2018 2:51:35 AM
Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Date     1/26/2018 1:45:55 AM
Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

===========================================================================
I have reviewed the knowledge base and forums for similar issues.   I checked the dskmgmt and write caching on the device is turned on.   I checked the write caching in the advanced menu of reflect and it was not checked. So, I checked the box, but doubt that It will have any effect since it is already turned on in the device manager.  Since I have been using this drive , usb cable and usb hub for 3+ years with Reflect with no error prior this, I doubt that they are cause.
My Reflect version is 6.3 build 1849.
What is the cause of this problem and should I consider abandoning Reflect in favor of a more reliable Imaging solution?

AlFromCochrane
AlFromCochrane
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
bwheater - 26 January 2018 10:21 PM
Last night backup of differential was tried twice and failed -- file not found.  Then I tried a full image backup and it failed -- file not found. So I gave up , shut down the machine and went to bed.  This afternoon after bootup I ran CHKDSK on the usb backup drive (connected thru a kensington 7 port hub) and there were no errors.  So I started a full Image backup in reflect and it went to completion.

I check last nights logs and see no meaningful error messages  - portions given below:
Initializing
Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The system cannot find the file specified.

============================================================================================
Tail of VSS log:

Querying all shadow copies with the SnapshotSetID {6ba16633-b1f5-4f84-8d5d-874c40a149d7} ...

- Not Exposed
==================================================================================================

Type     Information
Event     1532

Type     Information
Event     9009

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

I have reviewed the knowledge base and forums for similar issues.   I checked the dskmgmt and write caching on the device is turned on.   I checked the write caching in the advanced menu of reflect and it was not checked. So, I checked the box, but doubt that It will have any effect since it is already turned on in the device manager.  Since I have been using this drive , usb cable and usb hub for 3+ years with Reflect with no error prior this, I doubt that they are cause.
What is the cause of this problem and should I consider abandoning Reflect in favor of a more reliable Imaging solution?

Hi bwheater,

Indeed it's hard to figure out what is going on with the information provided.  You most likely need to reach out to the Macrium support team.   There is one thing I might do first if I was in your place.  

The Error 9009 which caused your Windows Desktop Manager to fail is disturbing.   This process is an integral part of windows.    Perhaps you should take a look at this article which describes how to fix this error:  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127883 .  I am assuming you are proficient enough to be comfortable backing up your registry and making edits.  It may be worth a try.  If you can eliminate this error, that is a good thing regardless of whether it solves the Reflect Error.  

But perhaps the Macrium Reflect Error will not persist as well.  Just like when you were able to run the backups successfully later.( Timing with the 9009 error?)  

anyway,  good luck.

Btw, what would you suggest for a "more reliable imaging solution" ?   I am curious. :-)

bwheater
bwheater
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
AlFromCochrane - 26 January 2018 11:50 PM

Initializing
Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Tail of VSS log:

- Not Exposed

Type     Information
Event     1532

Type     Information
Event     9009

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Hi bwheater,

Indeed it's hard to figure out what is going on with the information provided.  You most likely need to reach out to the Macrium support team.   There is one thing I might do first if I was in your place.  

The Error 9009 which caused your Windows Desktop Manager to fail is disturbing.   This process is an integral part of windows.    Perhaps you should take a look at this article which describes how to fix this error:  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX127883 .  I am assuming you are proficient enough to be comfortable backing up your registry and making edits.  It may be worth a try.  If you can eliminate this error, that is a good thing regardless of whether it solves the Reflect Error.  

But perhaps the Macrium Reflect Error will not persist as well.  Just like when you were able to run the backups successfully later.( Timing with the 9009 error?)  

anyway,  good luck.

Btw, what would you suggest for a "more reliable imaging solution" ?   I am curious. :-)

I looked at the citrix note and it applies to xenapp for windows server product which I don't have and specified registry key does not exist on my W7 workstation.  I will see what happens tommorrow when I try a differential backup
AlFromCochrane
AlFromCochrane
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
bwheater - 27 January 2018 1:52 AM
AlFromCochrane - 26 January 2018 11:50 PM

Initializing
Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Tail of VSS log:

- Not Exposed

Type     Information
Event     1532

Type     Information
Event     9009

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Hi bwheater,

anyway,  good luck.

I looked at the citrix note and it applies to xenapp for windows server product which I don't have and specified registry key does not exist on my W7 workstation.  I will see what happens tommorrow when I try a differential backup

The citrix example was the first one I grabbed.  Bad example in your case.   There are lots of resolutions to resolve the WDM 9009 error.Just google it and you will see.   I really don't have enough info of your configuration to research them all to possibly find what may be applicable to your config,  but I recommend that you do. Perhap if you search your logs to see if the WDM 9009 error is repetitive, you may feel more compelled to fix it. Like I say, it is a good thing to fix, regardless of it's effect on the macrium backups... 
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Initializing
Volume Snapshots Created

Saving Partition

Tail of VSS log:

- Not Exposed

Type     Information
Event     1532

Type     Information
Event     9009

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Type     Information
Event     8224
Source    VSS

Hi

The message "Backup aborted! - Write operation failed - The system cannot find the file specified. " indicates that your backup drive, "P:" , has dropped (stopped communicating with Windows) during the backup. Any other messages in the VSS log are irrelevant to the backup status.

If drive P: is a USB attached drive then check that the USB cable is firmly attached and of good quality. . 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

bwheater
bwheater
@Nick - This looks like the stock reply that you have posted elsewhere without regard to particular details of this topic.

The USB drive is permanently connected (enclosed in a Thermaltake enclosure with power switch) and permanently plugged in the 7 port kensington hub which permanently plugged to USB3 port on the PC.  Since all I did to get it to work was shutdown windows and power on the PC which restarted windows and then power on the USB drive, run CHKDSK, start Reflect, and it worked correctly -- it is more likely a bug in the software : Windows7 or Reflect and not a problem with the cable or connectors.

Also,  the message "file not found" is not descriptive - you should be reporting the error returned by windows so that more details are available.

regards,
Bob

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
bwheater - 27 January 2018 10:47 PM
@Nick - This looks like the stock reply that you have posted elsewhere without regard to particular details of this topic.

The USB drive is permanently connected (enclosed in a Thermaltake enclosure with power switch) and permanently plugged in the 7 port kensington hub which permanently plugged to USB3 port on the PC.  Since all I did to get it to work was shutdown windows and power on the PC which restarted windows and then power on the USB drive, run CHKDSK, start Reflect, and it worked correctly -- it is more likely a bug in the software : Windows7 or Reflect and not a problem with the cable or connectors.

Also,  the message "file not found" is not descriptive - you should be reporting the error returned by windows so that more details are available.

regards,
Bob

@bwheater, that was not a stock reply but a fact. The message is from Windows not from Reflect. A simple Google search would confirm that for you:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q="The%2Bsystem%2Bcannot%2Bfind%2Bthe%2Bfile%2Bspecified"

For some reason the link isn't working. Try googling the actual Windows error: "The system cannot find the file specified"

It is caused by your drive disconnecting from Windows.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 27 January 2018 11:43 PM by Nick
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
Just as a data point, I once had a USB enclosure that started disconnecting from Windows only under heavy and sustained write operations, such as when performing large file transfers or backups to it. It automatically came back after a few seconds, but obviously it killed whatever operation had been running. It was completely flawless under both more typical write loads and heavy and sustained read operations, but of course that enclosure still ended up in the trash shortly after this behavior arose.

And as Nick alluded to, if you deliberately disconnect the drive while performing a Windows file copy, you will see that exact same “System cannot find the file specified” error. It’s certainly not very descriptive, but Reflect is indeed passing through what it’s getting from Windows there.

Do you perhaps have another USB cable and/or another enclosure or SATA to USB adapter you can test with?
Edited 28 January 2018 3:52 AM by jphughan
JohnnyNeutron
JohnnyNeutron
New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)New Member (11 reputation)
jphughan - 28 January 2018 3:26 AM
Just as a data point, I once had a USB enclosure that started disconnecting from Windows only under heavy and sustained write operations, such as when performing large file transfers or backups to it. It automatically came back after a few seconds, but obviously it killed whatever operation had been running. It was completely flawless under both more typical write loads and heavy and sustained read operations, but of course that enclosure still ended up in the trash shortly after this behavior arose.

And as Nick alluded to, if you deliberately disconnect the drive while performing a Windows file copy, you will see that exact same “System cannot find the file specified” error. It’s certainly not very descriptive, but Reflect is indeed passing through what it’s getting from Windows there.

Do you perhaps have another USB cable and/or another enclosure or SATA to USB adapter you can test with?

A Kensington 7 port USB Hub and a USB enclosure. Too many chances for I/O errors on the devices for my comfort level. My idea of a good backup set up would be 2 Mirrored disks internally and an external Redundancy back up to USB for an Offsite or detached storage solution. ( back up your Backups). If possible run an internal SATA drive for primary backups and USB as secondary backups. Unless of course your on a Laptop. But i'd ditch the Hub as a middle man personally.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...