Should I Upgrade to v7?

Author
tazmo8448
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am using the non-commercial freeware version v6.3.1849 an was wondering if I should go with the newer version or stick with the older one? 
Is v7 a paid version?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
As with previous releases, there are both free and paid versions of V7, and for the first time, V7 Free is explicitly licensed for commercial use, with a few exceptions, namely PC repair shops and system image deployment scenarios.  The edition comparison page is here if you want to take a look, but basically of the features that are new for V7, only viBoot is available in V7 Free.  Macrium Image Guardian and CBT both require paid licenses.  For the other features that already existed, I believe the functional limitations restrictions on the Free edition are unchanged.

tazmo8448
tazmo8448
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
jphughan - 11 January 2018 8:29 PM
As with previous releases, there are both free and paid versions of V7, and for the first time, V7 Free is explicitly licensed for commercial use, with a few exceptions, namely PC repair shops and system image deployment scenarios.  The edition comparison page is here if you want to take a look, but basically of the features that are new for V7, only viBoot is available in V7 Free.  Macrium Image Guardian and CBT both require paid licenses.  For the other features that already existed, I believe the functional limitations restrictions on the Free edition are unchanged.

thanks jp for your timely response....if that is the only difference think I'll just stick to the one I have.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.1K reputation)
Well that's the only "major new feature" difference but certainly not the only difference.  There have also been some bug fixes and lesser enhancements in V7 that weren't backported to V6.  For example, I recently found a bug whereby restoring a partition image to an unlocked BitLocker target that had been shrunk since the image was captured (in my case as part of a Windows 10 upgrade) caused the restore to fail.  Macrium fixed that in V7, but not in V6, since V7 was well into its lifecycle by that point.  Keep in mind that Reflect 6.3.1849 was only released because it contained some important security fixes, but before that, its last release was in late June 2017.  Reflect V7 has received several bug fixes and enhancements since then, which you can read here if you're curious.  Granted, some of those changes only pertain to V7 features (or even paid V7 features), and even for the bug fixes not pertaining to V7-exclusive features, it's possible that the bug doesn't exist in the V6 code base.  Then again, it might.  There's certainly something to be said for, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but on the other hand you may decide you want some of the lesser improvements added in V7, like:

- Better display DPI scaling support
- Warnings about a job that would restore formerly encrypted partitions onto unencrypted targets
- The ability to view the progress of a backup job that started while you weren't logged in
- Popup notifications that show the name of the job that's about to run for at-a-glance convenience so the user can decide whether they may want to postpone it
- The ability to have scheduled jobs run as the SYSTEM account so you no longer have to store admin credentials with Reflect to run scheduled backups. The latter could cause scheduled backups to break if that account's password was ever changed and the user forgot to update the credentials stored with Reflect.
- The ability to store credentials for network targets so the user running the backup doesn't have to have write access. This is necessary if you run backups as the SYSTEM account of course, but even if you want to use your own user account for scheduled backups, this allows you to grant your own account just read-only access to your backup share as a ransomware protection measure during your everyday use, while still granting Reflect write access.

And speaking of Reflect 6.3.1849, if you're on Windows 10 1607 or newer, the security vulnerability fixed in that release was fixed even more effectively in the corresponding Reflect V7 update because design changes that had already been made for V7 made it possible to do so, and those changes would have been too much work to backport to V6.  The mitigation for V6 is still quite strong, however, so I don't want to overstate this difference.

Edited 17 June 2018 1:47 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...