Reboot rather than shutdown when a scheduled backup runs and encounters a product update?

Author
Harry Broom
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
To an extent I am guessing what the cause of my admittedly minor, issue is. This has only been happening over the past 4 weeks or so. I am running the latest version of Win 10 Home Version 1709. No failures on Win10 updates.

I have a weekly full and daily incremental backups running, which on completion shuts down my machine, so at I glance I can see that the job has run successfully. However I do check the logs to ensure there were no errors next time I power the box up.

Recently I have noticed that the lock screen appears, waiting for login, when I'd normally expect the machine to be off. When I log in to check the logs, the prompt to run an update in Macrium appears so I do that and all seems well until the next time a Macrium update appears and the same thing occurs. No shutdown but a restart/reboot. Now this isn't earth shattering and at best it's a minor irritant, but is there a way to overcome this?

TIA.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Interesting find.  When you see the lock screen, are you sure that Windows did actually restart as opposed to having just logged out your user session or even just locked it?  For example, does the System log under Event Viewer actually show events indicating that the entire system restarted?

mtanquary
mtanquary
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I logged into Macrium website for a feature request, which is to add the the option to reboot when finished. Yes I am asking for trouble, but my wife expects computers to be like Windows 3.1, so I use something from Mark Russonivich (sp?), I have it set to log into a user account when the computer starts. I could also use this feature at work (separate licenses) (and no I do not have auto logon at work, but it would be nice to have the computer reboot when a backup is okey-dokey).

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
That feature request already basically exists here, and I've even got it in my "aggregated quick win feature requests" tracker thread here.  Granted, the original request pertains to the Rescue environment, but the Rescue environment's "On completion" dropdown is shared with the version that runs under real Windows, so adding it in one place would add it to the other.

jphughan
jphughan
Just out of curiosity, what's the desired/expected benefit of having a system restart after a backup completes when the backup was performed within real Windows? I can sort of see the appeal of automatically restarting from the Rescue environment back into real Windows after a backup completes rather than just continuing to sit idle in the Rescue environment, especially if the PC in question hosts services and/or allows remote access, but the benefit of rebooting from real Windows right back into real Windows after a backup is unclear to me.  It's not as if a backup makes lots of system changes or a general mess that requires a restart to sort out.  And if the goal is an "at a glance" confirmation of success, there are other reasons a PC might reboot automatically, so that won't necessarily be positive confirmation of a successful backup -- and of course there are less disruptive ways to get more reliable confirmation, such as enabling email notifications for your Reflect job(s) or creating a shortcut that opens Windows Event Viewer in a view filtered to show only Reflect-related log entries, or just checking the Log tab within Reflect itself.

Edited 11 January 2018 3:55 PM by jphughan
Harry Broom
Harry Broom
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 11 January 2018 2:06 PM
Interesting find.  When you see the lock screen, are you sure that Windows did actually restart as opposed to having just logged out your user session or even just locked it?  For example, does the System log under Event Viewer actually show events indicating that the entire system restarted?

Harry Broom
Harry Broom
jphughan - 11 January 2018 2:06 PM

The quick answer is no I'm not sure. However I'm going to sit myself in front of tonight's backup and see what happens (I lose the will to live ploughing through event viewer these days - especially after 40 years of doing similar with loads of other systems).
Harry Broom
Harry Broom
jphughan - 11 January 2018 3:45 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the desired/expected benefit of having a system restart after a backup completes when the backup was performed within real Windows? I can sort of see the appeal of automatically restarting from the Rescue environment back into real Windows after a backup completes rather than just continuing to sit idle in the Rescue environment, especially if the PC in question hosts services and/or allows remote access, but the benefit of rebooting from real Windows right back into real Windows after a backup is unclear to me.  It's not as if a backup makes lots of system changes or a general mess that requires a restart to sort out.  And if the goal is an "at a glance" confirmation of success, there are other reasons a PC might reboot automatically, so that won't necessarily be positive confirmation of a successful backup -- and of course there are less disruptive ways to get more reliable confirmation, such as enabling email notifications for your Reflect job(s) or creating a shortcut that opens Windows Event Viewer in a view filtered to show only Reflect-related log entries, or just checking the Log tab within Reflect itself.

There is none. I normally shut down the box. It's stopped doing that and I think it's rebooting. I'll check it tonight and see what is actually happening. Last night I heard the sound given when the prompt comes up giving you the chance not to shut down after the back up and thought all was well, but when I went in the room that the box is in it was on rather than a blank screen, there was the login display.
Harry Broom
Harry Broom
Well I discovered that in actual fact a BSOD was occurring and that a restart was indeed being processed. The problem was that a driver of some kind was having an issue with the power state of the machine (I have a Lenovo A540 AIO) and wasn't handling it well if at all. At this point it's worth saying that a close down from the start menu was perfectly OK, but then under normal circumstances Win10 does not do a complete shut down if fast boot is enabled but creates a quasi hibernation process enabling fast boot to operate and bring the machine to a faster boot than normal with certain key startup items loaded off the "hibernation" file.

Macrium must do a full shutdown, but then since I've been using it, it has always done so. As the event logs and BSOD display is a bit sparse on which particular driver was objecting to the situation, I decided to look at the feature Lenovo provides in updating various drivers. Sure enough there had been a couple of updates in the past few weeks and lo and behold there were some new ones for my audio drivers.

I had been able to create a full shutdown outside of Macrium merely by pressing the shift key when selecting the shutdown option from the start menu e.g. I managed to get the BSOD appear by doing this. That at least told me that Macrium was not the culprit, merely an innocent bystander.

The new audio drivers appearing in my Lenovo update checks proved to be successful in that they were no longer triggering the BSOD. So Macrium has been reset just to shut down and we're now back to normal. A full shutdown (but not the same as you'd get if you selected shutdown via the Start menu.

I record this just in case someone has a similar issue and this helps (mind you moving to Linux might be better as I now find that my most reliable OS oh and it's faster too)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...