Windows 7 Restore Point??

Author
James Cole
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Is there any reason that I need to use activate the W OS Restore Point. I turned it off. I see no reason to have it on as long as I have Macrium. I am I correct? Thanks.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240 pin DDR3/SDRAM DDR3 1866
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
1 X HD 1 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 2 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 5 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
2 X ASUS 24X DVD Burner
MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
PWR Supply: Ultra 3X 1000W SLI Ready
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Case "Full Tower"
Monitor: Samsung S27D590CS, LED Lit, Curved Screen, 1920x1080
Logitech X-230 Speakers
Logitech Gaming Mouse MX-518
Logitech G810 ORION Gaming Keyboard
SteelSeries Gaming Headphones V-2
Logitech HD Pro WebCam C 910
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It can be handy because Windows might capture snapshots more frequently than you run backups, in which case you might be able to use the "Previous Versions" tab in the Properties window of a file/folder to recover a more recent older copy of an accidentally deleted/overwritten file than you might have in your Reflect backups.  But even if you never expect to use it, unless you're running very low on disk space, I don't see a good reason to turn it off.

James Cole
James Cole
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
jphughan - 10 January 2018 7:52 PM
It can be handy because Windows might capture snapshots more frequently than you run backups, in which case you might be able to use the "Previous Versions" tab in the Properties window of a file/folder to recover a more recent older copy of an accidentally deleted/overwritten file than you might have in your Reflect backups.  But even if you never expect to use it, unless you're running very low on disk space, I don't see a good reason to turn it off.

OK, It just always takes so long to run a restore point when I get new updates. Generally I run Images twice a month 1st and 15th. or after a big event on the disk. With windows XP, the restore point only worked half the time. Macrium always works. I haven't tried Restore with Win 7.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
2 X ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Logitech X-230 Speakers
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.6K reputation)
Windows 7's System Restore feature is greatly improved over XP's, which I also noticed failed frequently and therefore never relied on.  But the snapshots created by the System Protection feature can do more than just provide System Restore points on Windows 7; they also allow you to restore individual files and folders to the point of the snapshot, rather than just your OS.  That's the "Previous Versions" feature I mentioned above, but it's only available for drives where System Protection is enabled.  Frustratingly, Microsoft removed this functionality in Windows 8 and onward in favor of File History, which in fairness is better protection since it means your files are being stored in a separate location (external hard drive or network share), but I still found it handy to have local snapshots to allow recovering from accidental overwrites/deletions without having to rely on external storage being available.  And this functionality is still available on Windows Server, where it's called "Shadow copies".

If performance is a concern, consider getting an SSD, even if you only get one large enough for your OS volume and some basic applications and then you install larger applications on some other drive.  An SSD that size is very inexpensive nowadays and even a SATA SSD would make a huge performance difference over the equipment listed in your signature.

Edited 10 January 2018 8:29 PM by jphughan
James Cole
James Cole
Learned my lesson. The MS Update ( see below) messed up my computer good. I could not do a re-image because I could not connect to the internet, I had turned off my "restore point" ( It's on now) so no safety there. It took several tries, before I could get my computer up. The only rescue media I had was for Macrium 5. It's OK now. MS issued a fix 3 hours later. JMC

2018-02 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4075211)
Installation date: ‎3/‎7/‎2018 8:47 AM

2 X ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Logitech X-230 Speakers
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
It's definitely important to keep your Rescue Media updated.  The release notes for new versions of Reflect will tell you when the update includes changes that may affect the Rescue environment.  If you see a release like that and the change pertains to your use case/system, then definitely update your Rescue Media.  It's easy especially if you use a flash drive.  As you found, having backups with no way to restore them isn't especially useful.  System Restore is a nice fallback and I personally think it's worth sacrificing some disk space to have enabled, especially back on Win7 where it enabled the Previous Versions feature, but even System Restore won't always be as effective as restoring an image.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...