Back up Drives Speed??

Author
James Cole
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Does a faster back up drives speed, i.e. 5000 rpm vs 7200 rpm, etc, decrease the time required for a back up image? Thanks.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Gigabyte GeForce GTX GV-N1080G1 GAMING-8GD
Ram: G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240 pin DDR3/SDRAM DDR3 1866
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
1 X HD 1 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 2 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 5 TB Western Digital Black 7200 RPM
1 X HD 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor 10K RPM
2 X ASUS 24X DVD Burner
MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
PWR Supply: Ultra 3X 1000W SLI Ready
Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Case "Full Tower"
Monitor: Samsung S27D590CS, LED Lit, Curved Screen, 1920x1080
Logitech X-230 Speakers
Logitech Gaming Mouse MX-518
Logitech G810 ORION Gaming Keyboard
SteelSeries Gaming Headphones V-2
Logitech HD Pro WebCam C 910
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If everything else were the same on the drive, then very likely yes, but that's almost never the case.  Take a look at this thread where a very similar question was just asked.  If you can find reviews/benchmarks of your current and potential future drive (they would have to be of the specific capacities you have and are looking at as well) and the reviews indicate that the latter is significantly faster than the former, then it may be worth upgrading.  However, about the most you'll get from a spinning drive is 120 MB/s, so check how close you're already coming to that figure now by looking at your backup log files and dividing the size of the backup file that was generated (NOT the amount of data backed up) by the time it took in order to get a rough idea of where you are now.  I would do that rather than using Reflect's own performance numbers shown in the log because those have seemed implausibly high to me, so maybe they count the amount of pre-compression data that was transferred rather than post-compression, but that's not what you'd want.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...