Imaging Multiple Machines

Author
beachdogvet
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I want to create multiple Windows 10 machines. I have my "source machine"  I've installed and configured the Windows 10 OS.  I've also created an image of this machines'  disks / partitions. So I'm not sure how to proceed. Do I create a bootable Rescue Media DVD disk, boot the other "target" machines to this DVD and then restore the image I originally made from the "source" machine to the "Target" machines?

Thanks.

Edited 9 January 2018 10:56 AM by beachdogvet
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
The Resue Media WILL BE REQUIRED for this operation.  If the machines have identical hardware configurations, this is possible... but be aware, when doing this you will be moving the SOURCE machine's  Windows ACTIVATION to the target machines which will wind up with unActivated Windows.  Windows may be able to sort all this out on-line once you are up, hope so.  If not you'll be talking to MIcrosoft to get the original activations back in place.

If the hardware configurations are different, you will have to use the reDeploy feature of the Rescue Media immediately following the image restoration... and of course, your MACRIUM Reflect license being moved to those machines will not be valid following your restorations.
beachdogvet
beachdogvet
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Froggie - 9 January 2018 1:57 PM
The Resue Media WILL BE REQUIRED for this operation.  If the machines have identical hardware configurations, this is possible... but be aware, when doing this you will be moving the SOURCE machine's  Windows ACTIVATION to the target machines which will wind up with unActivated Windows.  Windows may be able to sort all this out on-line once you are up, hope so.  If not you'll be talking to MIcrosoft to get the original activations back in place.

If the hardware configurations are different, you will have to use the reDeploy feature of the Rescue Media immediately following the image restoration... and of course, your MACRIUM Reflect license being moved to those machines will not be valid following your restorations.

Thank you for the reply.  So, what would be the preferred method of "duplicating" machines. 

Froggie
Froggie
Guru
Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)Guru (1.5K reputation)
You didn't mention if your multiple machine hardware is all different. Using your procedure with identical or different machines will probably be fine as far as Windows Activation is concerned as long as those other machines are already activated or you have Registration/Activation information available for those machines.  If the hardware's different, the reDeploy feature will eventually require you to, most likely, find compatible hardware driver software for the different machines... this may or may not be fun.  If you don't have individual Macrium Reflect licenses for those other machines, if the TRIAL period is over it will have to be uninstalled on those machines.

JP may jump in here with a mini-tutorial on the Microsoft SysPrep procedure which is another way to deploy identical System configurations... I don't have enough knowledge to pontificate on that option.

JP...???

Edited 9 January 2018 2:11 PM by Froggie
beachdogvet
beachdogvet
Froggie - 9 January 2018 2:10 PM
You didn't mention if your multiple machine hardware is all different. Using your procedure with identical or different machines will probably be fine as far as Windows Activation is concerned as long as those other machines are already activated or you have Registration/Activation information available for those machines.  If the hardware's different, the reDeploy feature will eventually require you to, most likely, find compatible hardware driver software for the different machines... this may or may not be fun.  If you don't have individual Macrium Reflect licenses for those other machines, if the TRIAL period is over it will have to be uninstalled on those machines.

JP may jump in here with a mini-tutorial on the Microsoft SysPrep procedure which is another way to deploy identical System configurations... I don't have enough knowledge to pontificate on that option.

JP...???

The machines are stand alone machines, which will not connect to any network / internet. The hardware should be the same on all machines. The machines come with Windows 10 already installed but require some configuration after initial boot up.

Edited 9 January 2018 2:18 PM by beachdogvet
Froggie
Froggie
Guru
I would BOOT them up and do the initial configuration... this to allow the Windows 10 activation to occur.  After that, if the SOURCE machine image is from the same hardware, the restoration should go just fine, except for the Macrium Reflect application itself... it will be in the TRIAL (or EXPIRED) configuration and will have to be removed completely, unless you license it for use on each machine.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
If you've never done this before, I would strongly advise you to read up on how Windows deployment works, particularly the sysprep tool.  Technically you can run a simple sysprep command, or as part of that command you can specify a an "unattend" file that will pre-configure a lot of settings on the targets for convenience -- if you're willing to put in the extra work upfront creating that file.  Whether it's worth the upfront effort depends on how much customization you'd otherwise have to do on how many machines.  But either way, you need to capture an image of the source machine AFTER you've run sysprep but before you've allowed that system to boot again.  Skipping the sysprep step before capturing your image can cause that image to fall out of activation on your target machines and then refuse to reactivate without a full reinstall (even if the targets are licensed for the OS you're cloning), and if you plan to join these to an Active Directory domain there are some additional potential pitfalls.  A image that HAS been sysprepped also does not need to have Macrium ReDeploy run against it after deployment to dissimilar hardware, since part of sysprep involves telling the system to rediscover the host's hardware on next boot.

Finally, note that using Reflect to capture and deploy so-called "golden images" to multiple machines has special licensing requirements from Macrium as detailed here, or if it's more cost-effective for your use case, you can purchase a Reflect license for every system you intended to deploy this image onto, but you can't just have a regular license for the "source" machine to do this.  I don't believe @Froggie is correct that this would be considered an acceptable use of the trial period license, though I'm not certain about that, and this use case is expressly excluded from the allowed uses of the Free edition.

Edited 9 January 2018 3:37 PM by jphughan
beachdogvet
beachdogvet
Froggie - 9 January 2018 2:53 PM
I would BOOT them up and do the initial configuration... this to allow the Windows 10 activation to occur.  After that, if the SOURCE machine image is from the same hardware, the restoration should go just fine, except for the Macrium Reflect application itself... it will be in the TRIAL (or EXPIRED) configuration and will have to be removed completely, unless you license it for use on each machine.

Thanks for your help.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.6K reputation)
I forgot to mention that if the cost of a properly licensed Reflect-based solution for deployment wouldn't be feasible for you, then Microsoft provides tools of their own for free that facilitate image capture and deployment.  It's a bit more manual effort, but it does work, and if you just want to create a bootable flash drive from which to install the image onto target PCs (as opposed to fancier techniques like storing the image on the network or even network booting the PCs), then it's not too bad.  I would be willing to provide a step-by-step for how to capture and deploy images that way via PM.

Edited 9 January 2018 3:39 PM by jphughan
beachdogvet
beachdogvet
jphughan - 9 January 2018 3:32 PM
I forgot to mention that if the cost of a properly licensed Reflect-based solution for deployment wouldn't be feasible for you, then Microsoft provides tools of their own for free that facilitate image capture and deployment.  It's a bit more manual effort, but it does work.  I would be willing to provide a step-by-step for how to capture and deploy images that way via PM.

Sure....that would be great! Thanks
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...