P Cloud.

Author
Raymond
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello All,
                     I have successfully made the bootable dvd's and images of my 4 machines and verified each image all is good.  Now, the images are stored on one of my HGST storage drives but I would also like to store them in my P Cloud.  Is that possible ?  if it is indeed possible would I be able to make a copy of each image and upload them, or would I be safer to make 4 new images [ verify them ] and then upload them.

Regards.​​
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
Replicating your existing images is fine. Just make sure Reflect never sees multiple copies of the same image files at the same time under its Restore tab, which I’m guessing won’t be much of an issue if your alternate location is in the cloud.
Raymond
Raymond
New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)New Member (22 reputation)
jphughan - 7 January 2018 5:24 PM
Replicating your existing images is fine. Just make sure Reflect never sees multiple copies of the same image files at the same time under its Restore tab, which I’m guessing won’t be much of an issue if your alternate location is in the cloud.

Thanks jphughan. What would be the best procedure to copy the images? 
Raymond
Raymond
Raymond - 7 January 2018 5:32 PM
jphughan - 7 January 2018 5:24 PM

Thanks jphughan. What would be the best procedure to copy the images? 

So obviously in the event of a disaster Macrium would be able to connect to the internet from the rescue environment  in order to restore the image.   It may be seen as overkill to some but I would prefer to have 1 image on an external drive and another in P cloud.
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Macrium WOULD NOT be able to connect to the Internet to get those images, you'd need to copy them to a locally accessed storage element (NAS, shared system folder, USB storage) to restore from that element, not directly from the cloud.
Edited 7 January 2018 5:57 PM by Froggie
Raymond
Raymond
Froggie - 7 January 2018 5:56 PM
Macrium WOULD NOT be able to connect to the Internet to get those images, you'd need to copy them to a locally accessed storage element (NAS, shared system folder, USB storage) to restore from that element, not directly from the cloud.

Thanks froggie, I misinterpreted jphughan. Still at least I can store them in the cloud, which was what I really wanted.
Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
The best way to replicate data to the cloud depends primarily on what sort of access mechanisms the cloud provider in question offers, and I’m not familiar with P. Cloud. If they allow access via FTP or WebDAV, that opens up a lot of possibilities for how to get files up there, and MAY even enable access to your files from the Rescue environment, especially if WebDAV is available. FTP might require an additional application within WinPE — but Froggie is right that you shouldn’t really count on that capability. If they offer a desktop sync application, that makes things easy but also usually means you’ll have to cache your entire cloud storage contents on your PC, which isn’t ideal here. I use an application called Allway Sync for a lot of file synchronization between local and remote locations because it’s incredibly flexible in how it operates and supports all kinds of targets, including the APIs offered by many popular cloud providers. I’m not sure if P. Cloud is on that list, but if it is, that would be an easy option since Allway Sync itself is such a great tool.
Edited 7 January 2018 7:04 PM by jphughan
Raymond
Raymond
jphughan - 7 January 2018 6:54 PM
The best way to replicate data to the cloud depends primarily on what sort of access mechanisms the cloud provider in question offers, and I’m not familiar with P. Cloud. If they allow access via FTP or WebDAV, that opens up a lot of possibilities for how to get files up there, and MAY even enable access to your files from the Rescue environment, especially if WebDAV is available. FTP might require an additional application within WinPE — but Froggie is right that you shouldn’t really count on that capability. If they offer a desktop sync application, that makes things easy but also usually means you’ll have to cache your entire cloud storage contents on your PC, which isn’t ideal here. I use an application called Allway Sync for a lot of file synchronization between local and remote locations because it’s incredibly flexible in how it operates and supports all kinds of targets, including the APIs offered by many popular cloud providers. I’m not sure if P. Cloud is on that list, but if it is, that would be an easy option since Allway Sync itself is such a great tool.

Many thanks jphughan,  Being able to store them in the cloud is great. Then if need be,  just a case of download them to an external drive. 
Thanks.
jphughan
jphughan
If you can reliably count on having a second PC to use for downloading files and then an external drive or something to get them over to the PC you need to recover, then that simplifies the access issue from Rescue.  Looking very briefly at P.Cloud, it seems that they only offer the typical access mechanisms, namely a browser-based interface and then a sync application you can download to the PC.  If you only want to upload backups occasionally, using the browser interface for manual uploads may be acceptable.  If you wanted to use the sync application though, you'd have to take some care in how you set it up.  One option would be to have the folder that contains your "cloud cache" reside on the drive you're currently using for storing the images, then set that folder as the target for your image jobs.  In that case, you'd still have image backups on your local disk since that folder caches what's in the cloud, but because they're in that specific folder, they would also get uploaded to the cloud automatically.  But if you didn't do that, the problem is that you'd essentially have to retain 2 local copies of your image backups, one in your normal location and one in your "cloud cache" folder if you want to have backups in the cloud.  You would also definitely want to make sure your "cloud cache" folder was NOT located on a partition being captured in your image jobs, since otherwise every image job of that partition would then contain all previous backups of that same partition that you were still retaining, which of course would drastically inflate the size of your backup jobs.

Otherwise, if you want easy replication to the cloud, you might want to look into services that provide access via API for this purpose, like Google Drive, Amazon S3, Box, and a few others.  That way, you could something like Allway Sync to say, "Replicate this local folder that contains my backups to my cloud provider".  That way, you wouldn't have to cache your entire cloud repository locally in order to facilitate synchronization, and if you used Allway Sync specifically, you could either keep those sync jobs manual to avoid the risk of accidental deletions being automatically replicated to the cloud, or you could run it on a schedule.

Raymond
Raymond
jphughan - 7 January 2018 10:28 PM
If you can reliably count on having a second PC to use for downloading files and then an external drive or something to get them over to the PC you need to recover, then that simplifies the access issue from Rescue.  Looking very briefly at P.Cloud, it seems that they only offer the typical access mechanisms, namely a browser-based interface and then a sync application you can download to the PC.  If you only want to upload backups occasionally, using the browser interface for manual uploads may be acceptable.  If you wanted to use the sync application though, you'd have to take some care in how you set it up.  One option would be to have the folder that contains your "cloud cache" reside on the drive you're currently using for storing the images, then set that folder as the target for your image jobs.  In that case, you'd still have image backups on your local disk since that folder caches what's in the cloud, but because they're in that specific folder, they would also get uploaded to the cloud automatically.  But if you didn't do that, the problem is that you'd essentially have to retain 2 local copies of your image backups, one in your normal location and one in your "cloud cache" folder if you want to have backups in the cloud.  You would also definitely want to make sure your "cloud cache" folder was NOT located on a partition being captured in your image jobs, since otherwise every image job of that partition would then contain all previous backups of that same partition that you were still retaining, which of course would drastically inflate the size of your backup jobs.

Otherwise, if you want easy replication to the cloud, you might want to look into services that provide access via API for this purpose, like Google Drive, Amazon S3, Box, and a few others.  That way, you could something like Allway Sync to say, "Replicate this local folder that contains my backups to my cloud provider".  That way, you wouldn't have to cache your entire cloud repository locally in order to facilitate synchronization, and if you used Allway Sync specifically, you could either keep those sync jobs manual to avoid the risk of accidental deletions being automatically replicated to the cloud, or you could run it on a schedule.

Many thanks much appreciated. Now that I can store them in the cloud ( in addition to on 1 of my external HGST drives) that is perfect. I have 4 machines so can easily access them from the cloud if ever needed.  Thanks to all for the information.
Regards.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...