Programme image.

Author
Raymond
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all
                Brand new to the forum today and here is my first question.
Is it possible to only have an image of my installed programmes and not the OS.   The reason being as you will all know that after a period of time [ time varies ] the OS will become slightly slower. so if I ever needed to reinstall the OS [ windows 10 64 bit ] first and THEN  restore my programmes from a back up. ​Would this be at all possible or even advisable ?

Thanks,
Raymond.

MAIN System is as follows,
Samsung 960 Pro  [ OS drive ]
HGST Storage drives in Icy box jbod enclosure
128 Gb Kingston Hyper x Predator DDR 4 memory
Asus Rampage v ed 10
Intel i7 6900 CPU
Nvidia GTX 1080 Gpu.
Corsair 1000w PSU.​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)Expert (662 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
No, the installation and the OS are too tightly coupled, for example, with registry entries and files scattered around various places on the "C" drive. Also, imaging programs work at a lower-level and don't necessarily know anything about the files component - it is just copying disk clusters.

I don't get concerned about the OS slowing down anymore. In the days of older versions of Windows  it was indeed an issue. Do you have real data, as in a stop-watch to time a task, that supports your concern? 

​​What you could do is go back and install Windows on a clean disk without any or many apps I'd include Reflect for installation though. Then make an image which would become a base image. It probably would be good to let Windows do its updates and then make another image​​ for a more current base of the OS. Then install the apps and configure and make another image which would become a base of your whole system.

​This gives you a clean starting point if you wanted to refresh the system but you still would be looking at doing all the Windows updates and any changes to the apps and configuration since you made the base.​​ A bit more reality, if any of the what you perceive as slowing is being caused by a Windows or app update or configuration change, you are still going to get it.
​​
Raymond
Raymond
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Hi Seekforever,
                               No, the system at present is running great, vey fast.  It is just that I thought Windows always dropped off performance a bit after prolonged use. ​but it would seem to be that 10 64 bit is not so afflicted.  so that is good enough for me. 

Many thanks,
Raymond.​​​
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
There was a joke that Windows had a performance half-life of about 8-12 months, i.e. after that period of time it was only half as fast as it was before, which was why power users often did clean installs at roughly that frequency -- but that hasn't been the case since the XP, so you definitely don't have anything to worry about there. Smile

Raymond
Raymond
Thanks jphughan.  I have another question re images but will start a new topic.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...