What does "Path contained within image" mean?

Author
Ian Pitman
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've used Macrium Reflect for years, creating full disk images to an external hard drive and to the same folder on that drive.  When I tried to create an image today I got the following message "The destination path is included in the image.  Please select a different folder".  I've never got this message before.  However I created a new folder on the same drive but got the same message when I tried to back up.  Since then, I've tried to create a disk image by creating different folders on different external drives but I always get the same message (quoted above).  Has anyone else had this problem?  What does it mean anyway?  How do you fix it please?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ian Pitman - 5 January 2018 10:00 AM
I've used Macrium Reflect for years, creating full disk images to an external hard drive and to the same folder on that drive.  When I tried to create an image today I got the following message "The destination path is included in the image.  Please select a different folder".  I've never got this message before.  However I created a new folder on the same drive but got the same message when I tried to back up.  Since then, I've tried to create a disk image by creating different folders on different external drives but I always get the same message (quoted above).  Has anyone else had this problem?  What does it mean anyway?  How do you fix it please?

Hi

Your backup destination folder is a path on a partition that is included in the image.

You've possibly clicked "Image selected disks on this computer" by mistake:

This selects all disks with a check mark on the main Reflect Window.

You can scroll through the disks in the backup wizard and un-check those that aren't required:

However, the best option is to just image the disk that you want backup. 

Select the Disk with a left mouse click and click 'Image this disk'. When the Wizard opens ensure that you've got the correct partition(s) selected:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Creating+a+backup+image+of+your+computer,+drive+or+partitions

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Ian Pitman
Ian Pitman
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Thanks for your prompt reply Nick.  The problem arises when I now try to image my D drive.  On my computer the operating system is installed on my C drive which is an SSD.  All other software, folders, files etc are installed on a standard internal hard drive labelled D.  I have no problem imaging the C drive.   When trying to image the D drive I clearly indicate that this is the drive (and only this drive) that I want to back up.  So I still don't understand why I'm now getting the message previously described.  Do you have any further advice?  Ian

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Ian Pitman - 5 January 2018 12:05 PM
Thanks for your prompt reply Nick.  The problem arises when I now try to image my D drive.  On my computer the operating system is installed on my C drive which is an SSD.  All other software, folders, files etc are installed on a standard internal hard drive labelled D.  I have no problem imaging the C drive.   When trying to image the D drive I clearly indicate that this is the drive (and only this drive) that I want to back up.  So I still don't understand why I'm now getting the message previously described.  Do you have any further advice?  Ian

Please can you post up a screen shot of the backup wizard showing the selected disk and destination?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 5 January 2018 12:22 PM by Nick
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)Master (1.5K reputation)
Ian, its your TARGET drive (the one that will hold the image), that seems to be redundant in your imaging specification.

I assume your C: drive was finally successful because you may have imaged it to your D: drive or some external drive different than C:... but it sounds like your D: image is also trying to image to itself... this cannot be done.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.7K reputation)
As others have said, you can't capture an image of your D drive to a file on your D drive.  To unpack the error message, the path (your destination, where you're storing the image file) is contained within the image (the scope of data you're trying to back up).  Theoretically this configuration might actually be possible thanks to VSS, but you still wouldn't want to do it because you would quickly fill up your disk.  For example:

- Your D drive starts out with 100GB of data on it.
- You capture an image of it, which for the simplicity we'll assume does not use compression.  Now your D drive has 200GB of total data, namely its original 100GB and a backup file that's also 100GB.
- Even if nothing else on D changes, if your next backup is an Inc, it will have to back up that newly generated 100GB file.  Now you've got another 100GB backup file and a total of 300GB consumed.  This repeats indefinitely, with each Inc backup consuming another 100GB on your destination just to back up the previously generated backup file, even when none of your original source data is changing.
- It looks even worse if you capture Full backups each time.  Starting with the original 100GB of source data again, the first Full would be 100GB, for a total of 200GB on D consumed.  The next Full would create a 200GB file (for the original data plus the original backup), taking your total disk consumption to 400GB.  The Full after that would therefore generate a 400GB file, and so on with each Full backup doubling your disk consumption, again even when none of your original data is changing.

And that doesn't even consider that it's not especially wise to store backups on the same disk as the source data, since that still leaves you at risk of losing all of your data in case of a disk failure.

Edited 5 January 2018 3:16 PM by jphughan
Ian Pitman
Ian Pitman
jphughan - 5 January 2018 3:01 PM
As others have said, you can't capture an image of your D drive to a file on your D drive.  To unpack the error message, the path (your destination, where you're storing the image file) is contained within the image (the scope of data you're trying to back up).  Theoretically this configuration might actually be possible thanks to VSS, but you still wouldn't want to do it because you would quickly fill up your disk.  For example:

- You capture an image of it, which for the simplicity we'll assume does not use compression.  Now your D drive has 200GB of total data, namely its original 100GB and a backup file that's also 100GB.
- Even if nothing else on D changes, if your next backup is an Inc, it will have to back up that newly generated 100GB file.  Now you've got another 100GB backup file and a total of 300GB consumed.  This repeats indefinitely, with each Inc backup consuming another 100GB on your destination just to back up the previously generated backup file, even when none of your original source data is changing.
- It looks even worse if you capture Full backups each time.  Starting with the original 100GB of source data again, the first Full would be 100GB, for a total of 200GB on D consumed.  The next Full would create a 200GB file (for the original data plus the original backup), taking your total disk consumption to 400GB.  The Full after that would therefore generate a 400GB file, and so on with each Full backup doubling your disk consumption, again even when none of your original data is changing.

And that doesn't even consider that it's not especially wise to store backups on the same disk as the source data, since that still leaves you at risk of losing all of your data in case of a disk failure.

Ian Pitman
Ian Pitman
jphughan - 5 January 2018 3:01 PM

I obviously didn't make myself clear.  I'm not trying to make an image of an internal drive on that same drive (in this case drive D).  I use an external drive with the drive letter F.  However, when I got Nick's last post I checked my settings again and found that I had ticked two drive boxes to image instead of one.  Problem now solved.  Thanks everyone.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...