Cloning from large HDD to smaller SSD -- question on resizing partitions (and more)

Author
Numbahana
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On a Windows 10 desktop tower PC I plan to clone a 2Tb  HDD to a 512G SSD.  The HDD is mostly empty -- OS, system, data occupying only about 300G.  The purpose of the clone is to replace the HDD with the SSD.

My question is can the partition resizing function be used to reduce the sizes of the partitions manually as I prepare the clone command instructions?  All of the examples I have found in the Macrium help materials and KB deal with resizing partitions when cloning from a smaller HDD/SD to a large volume HDD/SSD.   Are there any potential problems or special steps to my proposed "downsizing?"

Second question that applies only to my tower PC cloning:  PC is a 5-year old HP tower PC that I have taken from Windows 7 through Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10.   The OEM  2Tb HDD includes a partition labeled "HP Recovery" which is OEM recovery software from HP that I do not believe has ever been updated and I do not believe is used at all by the present Windows 10 OS.    Must a cloned drive that will become the new booting and OS drive in place of the original retain the same partition configuration as the original booting and OS OEM HDD?    Or can I leave the "HP recovery" partition behind and not include it in the clone operation?

Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
1) No problem at all downsizing. In the first step of the clone wizard, drag the source partitions down to the destination one at a time in the order you want them to exist on the destination.  When you get to a partition you wish to resize, before dragging down the next partition, select it in the Destination row and click "Cloned partition properties".  There you'll have a chance to resize it up or down.  Then continue staging the rest of your clone operation. If you were setting this up as a recurring task rather than a one-off for a migration, cloning to a destination smaller than the source has some limitations like preventing Rapid Delta Clone and BitLocker Live Clone from being used, but that doesn’t pertain to your use case.

2) You can leave that OEM Recovery partition behind.  Worst case you may have to boot into the Rescue environment and run "Fix boot problems", but I suspect even that won't be necessary.

Edited 4 January 2018 4:21 AM by jphughan
Numbahana
Numbahana
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thank you on both explanations

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...