Clone failed - Read failed - 22 - Invalid argument - 32

Author
Mike8415
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have tried to clone a drive that seems to be failing - have had to run disk repair on it a few times recently.   Cloning to a brand new, larger drive.
I have tried to clone a few times and always get this error, when at about 90% complete on the 2nd partition (which is where all the data is)..
I think I have disabled the antivirus (Norton Security).
I ran chkdsk /r right before trying the last clone run.

I looked in the VSS log and had this (2x):
###########################################
Windows Events
Date  1/1/2018 10:25:50 PM
Type  Warning
Event  12348
Source  VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{dce6b625-eeca-11e7-be65-6c626da1d5b8}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly. Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.

Operation:
 Automatically choosing a diff-area volume
 Processing EndPrepareSnapshots

Context:
 Execution Context: System Provider
#############################################

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?   Would an image be a better route?
thanks
Mike

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
The most common cause of an access denied error when attempting to use a snapshot is third-party anti-virus/anti-malware.  If you're running any, try disabling it and/or excluding the EXEs in the two subfolders of C:\Program Files\Macrium.

Mike8415
Mike8415
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
jphughan - 3 January 2018 1:00 AM
The most common cause of an access denied error when attempting to use a snapshot is third-party anti-virus/anti-malware.  If you're running any, try disabling it and/or excluding the EXEs in the two subfolders of C:\Program Files\Macrium.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions.
 I have completely uninstalled Norton Security, rebooted and tried again - same errors.
I don't follow your second comment on excluding the EXEs - can you explain that a little further?
thanks
Mike

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
By excluding the EXEs, I meant go into your anti-virus solution and tell it not to block activity initiated by those applications.  Just as AV solutions typically allow you to block certain folders from being scanned, you can also often "whitelist" applications from having their behavior monitored and interfered with.  But if you're already uninstalled your AV entirely, then there's no need to do that anymore at least in the short term to get this working.  Additionally, reading that error more closely now, I see that it wasn't Reflect being denied access to the VSS snapshot from which to create the clone, but rather Windows VSS itself being denied access to the disk in order to create the snapshot in the first place.  Even AV shouldn't be interfering with general VSS snapshot creation, since that's a core Windows technology that has several legitimate uses.

As a workaround if you just need to get this clone done asap so you can get away from a suspected failing drive, the fastest route would probably be to boot from your Reflect Rescue Media and run the clone from there, since the Rescue environment doesn't need and therefore doesn't use VSS, which means it should sidestep this problem entirely.

And then in terms of an actual fix so you can perform future clones/image backups from within "real" Windows on a regular basis, e.g. as part of a backup routine:
- Try the Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems option in Reflect to see if that resolves it.
- If it still doesn't work from within regular Windows, in case this really is just a permissions issue as the error seems to suggest, go into This PC, right-click the drive you're trying to clone from, click Properties, select the Security tab, and then click Advanced.  Please post a screenshot of that window, while the Permissions tab is selected, using an application like the Snipping Tool that's built into Windows.
- If you're still stuck, there are some "VSSadmin" commands that I've seen Macrium staff provide in other threads here in the past that essentially purge any existing snapshots and reset the whole mechanism, which can also often resolve issues like this.  I can't remember what those commands are myself, unfortunately, but they may be along to provide those shortly.

Edited 4 January 2018 4:42 PM by jphughan
Mike8415
Mike8415
jphughan - 4 January 2018 4:30 PM
By excluding the EXEs, I meant go into your anti-virus solution and tell it not to block activity initiated by those applications.  Just as AV solutions typically allow you to block certain folders from being scanned, you can also often "whitelist" applications from having their behavior monitored and interfered with.  But if you're already uninstalled your AV entirely, then there's no need to do that anymore at least in the short term to get this working.  Additionally, reading that error more closely now, I see that it wasn't Reflect being denied access to the VSS snapshot from which to create the clone, but rather Windows VSS itself being denied access to the disk in order to create the snapshot in the first place.  Even AV shouldn't be interfering with general VSS snapshot creation, since that's a core Windows technology that has several legitimate uses.

As a workaround if you just need to get this clone done asap so you can get away from a suspected failing drive, the fastest route would probably be to boot from your Reflect Rescue Media and run the clone from there, since the Rescue environment doesn't need and therefore doesn't use VSS, which means it should sidestep this problem entirely.

And then in terms of an actual fix so you can perform future clones/image backups from within "real" Windows on a regular basis, e.g. as part of a backup routine:
- Try the Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems option in Reflect to see if that resolves it.
- If it still doesn't work from within regular Windows, in case this really is just a permissions issue as the error seems to suggest, go into This PC, right-click the drive you're trying to clone from, click Properties, select the Security tab, and then click Advanced.  Please post a screenshot of that window, while the Permissions tab is selected, using an application like the Snipping Tool that's built into Windows.
- If you're still stuck, there are some "VSSadmin" commands that I've seen Macrium staff provide in other threads here in the past that essentially purge any existing snapshots and reset the whole mechanism, which can also often resolve issues like this.  I can't remember what those commands are myself, unfortunately, but they may be along to provide those shortly.

Ok thanks for that explanation.   Here's what I have done - still no success -
1.  I booted from the rescue disk and tried cloning - failed in the same way - Clone failed - Read failed - 22 - Invalid argument - 32 but there was no VSS log this time.
2. I ran the Fix VSS Problems and then tried cloning again - fails again, Read Failed, and the VSS log has the Access Denied issues.   Attached is the screen shot of the Permissions tab.   

Not sure what to do next.  if you find the VSSadmin commmands, let me know.
Is there anyway to figure out where these volumes are that are being denied access to, and somehow unlock them?
thanks
Mike
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If the clone failed even from within Rescue, then I don't think VSS can be the problem; instead, the VSS error you originally posted is probably a symptom of whatever the underlying problem is.  The permissions you posted are appropriate, so that's not it, and I see you've already run CHKDSK /R, which would normally have been my next suggestion.  The only remaining suggestion I have would be to go into Rescue and try to perform a clone of only your C partition rather than the entire disk, even if only as a test.  Actually, if you have a suitable location other than this new disk, capturing an image backup of only the C partition to that location would be even better for this test, for reasons I'll get into momentarily.  But either way, my thinking here is that disks containing OS partitions also usually have other ancillary partitions, but since those don't have drive letters assigned by default, I'm assuming you only ever ran CHKDSK /R against your C drive.  If that's true and the cause of this problem lies on one of those other partitions (which was the case with someone else I helped here a while ago), then telling Reflect to ignore those and focus only on your C partition may allow it to clone or image that partition successfully.  If that works, let me know and I will post a step-by-step for temporarily assigning drive letters to those ancillary partitions so you can run CHKDSK /R against those in the hopes that it may fix them up enough for you to capture a proper clone of the entire disk.

The reason I'm suggesting an image for this "C partition only" test is because if it works but you still can't get your entire disk to clone, you will at least have gotten your most important data off of this suspected bad drive into an image you can keep.  Additionally, in the worst case, those other partitions could be created manually on the new disk, at which point you could then just restore the image of your C partition onto your new disk.  By comparison, if you clone only your C partition, you may not have an immediately usable new disk (depending on your system's configuration), and if you then also find that you still can't get the rest of the source disk to clone properly, you may end up overwriting your initial "C only" clone with a subsequent full disk test that fails, at which point you no longer have a copy of your data in a safe location.  As I said, with an image you'll at least have captured your data into a file that will persist through further experimentation with cloning to your new disk and/or failure of the source disk if you suspect that may be imminent.

Edited 6 January 2018 12:03 AM by jphughan
Mike8415
Mike8415
[quote]
jphughan - 5 January 2018 11:25 PM
....The reason I'm suggesting an image for this "C partition only" test is because if it works but you still can't get your entire disk to clone, you will at least have gotten your most important data off of this suspected bad drive into an image you can keep.

Ok, the image of just the C drive worked although I did not do an auto verify afterwards.  based on the logs for the failed clones, it makes sense that the problem is in the hidden partitions.  If you have the commands to map  them to lettered drives please post them and we will see it that helps.
thanks very much for all the help so far.
Mike

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Excellent!  In that case, here's what you need to do to attempt to fix the rest of the disk.  You can try doing this within "real" Windows first if you want to avoid what might otherwise be a lot of downtime to let CHKDSK /R run, but I'm not sure if these partitions can be scanned while "real" Windows is running, so you may have to do it within Rescue instead, but either way the procedure is the same:

1. Note the drive letters that are already assigned so you can ignore them later.

2. Open Command Prompt and enter the following commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X  <---substitute the correct number for X based on the output of "list disk" earlier
list partition

3. For any partitions that do not already have drive letters assigned, enter the following commands:
select partition X <----again, substitute the number of an appropriate partition
assign

4. Repeat the commands in Step 3 until all partitions on the disk have drive letters assigned.

5. Now recheck your drive letters, and for each of the new letters, run "CHKDSK /R X:".

6. If all goes well, see if that CHKDSK work was enough to allow you to clone the entire disk.  If the clone still fails, try capturing images of each ancillary partition individually then post a screenshot of your disk layout as shown from Reflect and let know what you captured and what you couldn't, and then I can probably walk you through manually setting up the missing partitions on your clone target so you can then restore what you imaged and end up with have a working new drive

Edited 7 January 2018 4:00 PM by jphughan
Mike8415
Mike8415
jphughan - 7 January 2018 3:15 PM
Excellent!  In that case, here's what you need to do to attempt to fix the rest of the disk.  You can try doing this within "real" Windows first if you want to avoid what might otherwise be a lot of downtime to let CHKDSK /R run, but I'm not sure if these partitions can be scanned while "real" Windows is running, so you may have to do it within Rescue instead, but either way the procedure is the same:

1. Note the drive letters that are already assigned so you can ignore them later.

2. Open Command Prompt and enter the following commands:
diskpart
list disk
select disk X  <---substitute the correct number for X based on the output of "list disk" earlier
list partition

3. For any partitions that do not already have drive letters assigned, enter the following commands:
select partition X <----again, substitute the number of an appropriate partition
assign

4. Repeat the commands in Step 3 until all partitions on the disk have drive letters assigned.

5. Now recheck your drive letters, and for each of the new letters, run "CHKDSK /R X:".

6. If all goes well, see if that CHKDSK work was enough to allow you to clone the entire disk.  If the clone still fails, try capturing images of each ancillary partition individually then post a screenshot of your disk layout as shown from Reflect and let know what you captured and what you couldn't, and then I can probably walk you through manually setting up the missing partitions on your clone target so you can then restore what you imaged and end up with have a working new drive

Sorry it took a while to respond, but I have run through your procedure.  The drive I am trying to clone only had 3 partitions - the System space which is very small, the C: drive and an HP Recovery partition, D:, which is about 12G.   So the only drive without a  letter was the System partition which I named M:
I ran Chkdsk on M and D, both had no errors.
I imaged M and D (I had just imaged C a few days ago) so I believe I have an image of all of the disk, but I am not sure I trust the C image. 
I then tried a clone again, which still failed with same Read error, and the VSS log still have 3 or 4 warnings about denied access.
I am a little confused because I expected to see some hidden partitions that I would have to name but I didn't.
I will post the disk layout in a follow up.
thanks
Mike
Mike8415
Mike8415
Here is the disk layout:

The 2nd disk is the new one I am trying to clone to.
thanks
Mike
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...