Scheduling Backups disappearing

Author
John Tomecek
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
On 12/21/2017 my backups did not work.  Investigating I discovered that my schedules were all gone.  The SCHEDULE BACKUP screen was blank.  I restored them and ran the backup with no problem.  Today the same thing happened again.  I went out the Windows scheduler and of course they were not there.  Not sure what else I can provide for you to help me. Please advise.

John Tomecek 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
So the definition files still exist under the Backup Definition Files tab, and it's just the Task Scheduler task (and therefore the contents of the Scheduled Backups) tab that are disappearing?  Does this happen after the first time the task(s) in question are run?  Any third-party anti-virus on your system?  I seem to remember something similar to this being reported a while ago, and the underlying cause was some other application meddling with the user's scheduled tasks.

John Tomecek
John Tomecek
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
jphughan - 3 January 2018 12:51 AM
So the definition files still exist under the Backup Definition Files tab, and it's just the Task Scheduler task (and therefore the contents of the Scheduled Backups) tab that are disappearing?  Does this happen after the first time the task(s) in question are run?  Any third-party anti-virus on your system?  I seem to remember something similar to this being reported a while ago, and the underlying cause was some other application meddling with the user's scheduled tasks.

John Tomecek
John Tomecek
jphughan - 3 January 2018 12:51 AM

The definition file is there(XML) it is just the Scheduled Backups are gone. The task in the scheduler has been running for years and the anti virus I have been using for years as well.  I use AVAST as my antivirus and then I run Malwarebytes weekly.  II run incremental's Monday thru Saturday and full run on Sunday with retention of 5 full images.  Does Reflect store the scheduled tasks in a Reflect folder or is it only in the OS Scheduler?.  I could use Reflect to go back and restore the scheduled backup file.    
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Scheduled tasks only exist as items within Windows Task Scheduler, not as separate files, so there wouldn't be anything to restore from previous backups.  Out of curiosity, what are the trigger conditions for these deletions, e.g. does it happen after the Full and/or Inc backups have run a certain number of times, or maybe every time you restart your PC?  Do both the Full and Inc scheduled task disappear together, or does the Full task get purged after a Full runs and the Inc task get purged after an Inc runs?  This behavior doesn't necessarily implicate anti-virus, but the fact that you haven't changed solutions in years doesn't necessarily exonerate it either, since anti-virus solutions are constantly being updated in the background, and inevitably there are false positives, at least until the next update arrives to resolve it.  Still, the more information about this anomaly in terms of what circumstances trigger the deletions and whether the tasks get deleted separately or together, the better.

Edited 3 January 2018 6:10 AM by jphughan
John Tomecek
John Tomecek
jphughan - 3 January 2018 6:10 AM
Scheduled tasks only exist as items within Windows Task Scheduler, not as separate files, so there wouldn't be anything to restore from previous backups.  Out of curiosity, what are the trigger conditions for these deletions, e.g. does it happen after the Full and/or Inc backups have run a certain number of times, or maybe every time you restart your PC?  Do both the Full and Inc scheduled task disappear together, or does the Full task get purged after a Full runs and the Inc task get purged after an Inc runs?  This behavior doesn't necessarily implicate anti-virus, but the fact that you haven't changed solutions in years doesn't necessarily exonerate it either, since anti-virus solutions are constantly being updated in the background, and inevitably there are false positives, at least until the next update arrives to resolve it.  Still, the more information about this anomaly in terms of what circumstances trigger the deletions and whether the tasks get deleted separately or together, the better.

John Tomecek
John Tomecek
jphughan - 3 January 2018 6:10 AM

Well, I added back the schedules and it has been running since Jan 3 and today is the Jan 13, so I guess it is working. We'll see
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...