Why did my scheduled Full file / folder backup run successfully and then immediately run again?

Why did my scheduled Full file / folder backup run successfully and...
Author
JH
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
That's it really. I attach a copy of the schedule, the File Explorer display of the folder after the second (full) backup and the logs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John
Attachments
Macrium backup query.docx (4 views, 270.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.3K reputation)
Another user reported the same behavior in this thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic20485.aspx

This may be something for Macrium to investigate.  A few people observed this behavior when their region changed from Daylight Savings Time to Standard Time, and although that didn't just happen, the fact that it happened to you and this other person at the turn of the year probably isn't a coincidence.  I'll be curious to see what Macrium says.

Edited 1 January 2018 8:30 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
JH - 1 January 2018 8:16 PM
That's it really. I attach a copy of the schedule, the File Explorer display of the folder after the second (full) backup and the logs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Hi

Can you check you Windows Task Scheduler History to see if it gives a clue on the second trigger?

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/How+to+check+the+status+of+scheduled+backups#Howtocheckthestatusofscheduledbackups-ViewingtaskhistoryintheWindowsTaskScheduleruserinterface.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

JH
JH
New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)New Member (25 reputation)
Nick - 2 January 2018 4:00 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Hi

Can you check you Windows Task Scheduler History to see if it gives a clue on the second trigger?

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/How+to+check+the+status+of+scheduled+backups#Howtocheckthestatusofscheduledbackups-ViewingtaskhistoryintheWindowsTaskScheduleruserinterface.

History is disabled , as I expected, but I think I may have found the answer - though I'd appreciate your thoughts / comments before I do anything. Take a look at the task schedule and compare it with the Macrium schedule. There seems to be an extra task in the Windows scheduler. This could be a remnant of me getting my brains in a knot trying to schedule separate start of month system and data backups without having one of them die due to a scheduling clash. Using only Macrium scheduling capabilities I should add. 

I think I need to get rid of that second line - "at 08:00 on day 1 etc". But what's the best way to do that? I can delete it in Windows Task Scheduler but that might upset Macrium. I can't delete it using Macrium (can I) because I can't see it.

Thanks,
John   

Attachments
Snip1.JPG (5 views, 136.00 KB)
Snip2.JPG (2 views, 90.00 KB)
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
JH - 3 January 2018 10:07 AM
Nick - 2 January 2018 4:00 PM

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Hi

History is disabled , as I expected, but I think I may have found the answer - though I'd appreciate your thoughts / comments before I do anything. Take a look at the task schedule and compare it with the Macrium schedule. There seems to be an extra task in the Windows scheduler. This could be a remnant of me getting my brains in a knot trying to schedule separate start of month system and data backups without having one of them die due to a scheduling clash. Using only Macrium scheduling capabilities I should add. 

I think I need to get rid of that second line - "at 08:00 on day 1 etc". But what's the best way to do that? I can delete it in Windows Task Scheduler but that might upset Macrium. I can't delete it using Macrium (can I) because I can't see it.

Thanks,
John   

Hi John

The Windows Task Scheduler screen shot appears to agree with Reflect, both have 4 schedules, so this doesn't look like a problem. The '08:00 on day 1' schedule is your 'system backup.xml' schedule. 

The repeated backup appears to have run at 19:30, exactly 1 hour after the scheduled time of 18:30.  There are numerous reports of a bug with the Windows Tasks Scheduler, but this does only seem to occur during a Daylight Savings time change.  It would be helpful if you could ensure that the Task Scheduler History is enabled so we can take a deeper look at the trigger log information should this happen again. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

JH
JH
OK, but don't hold your breath. It's a pity History can't be switched on for just one task. 
Thanks,
John
JH
JH
Rats!!!!! I turned history recording on yesterday ready for the first just in case this problem recurred. When the backup ran once and just once, I waited half an hour or so and then turned history off. Then, an hour later, the folder / file backup ran for a second time. Rats!!

I'm not seeing any overhead from having history on so I'll switch it back on and be more patient next month.

John
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...