[SOLVED] "Invalid MS-DOS function" error when trying to restore files from a mounted Macrium backup...

[SOLVED] "Invalid MS-DOS function" error when trying to restore files...
Author
jasonc
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have mounted a backup image for my data drive and when I try to restore a folder by copying it from the mounted Macrium image drive, the folder does copy but none of the files do. They all generate an "invalid MS-DOS function" error. I am restoring on Windows 10. Any ideas?

Edited 1 January 2018 10:53 PM by jasonc
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
No immediate ideas, but a few additional questions that may help diagnose:

- Easy stuff first: Are you on the latest release of Reflect, and have you tried just restarting your system?

- What is the file system of the mounted volume, e.g. FAT32, NTFS, etc.?

- Does this occur just for files in this particular folder or for ANY files you try to copy out of the mounted volume? If the former, is there anything unusual about the files in this folder, such as EFS encryption, special attributes/permissions, special NTFS data streams? If the latter, do you have any third-party anti-virus running?

- I doubt this would matter, but have you tried mounting the volume with the “Enable access to restricted folders” option both enabled and disabled?
Edited 1 January 2018 12:26 AM by jphughan
jasonc
jasonc
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Thanks for the response @jphughan. I did two things: I re-booted and followed method 2 from this article.
And now it works! So, not sure it was just the re-booting or the registry edit.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Interesting find.  Glad you're sorted! Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...