"Fix Windows Boot Problems" Not Fixing MBR

Author
CTMSeattle
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

​Background... I'm trying to clone my existing Win 7 OS partition, residing on a 64GB SSD​, to a new, larger, 500GB SSD. I've been at this for about 12 hours now, using three different tools, Macrium Reflect being the latest, with no success. Each drive is actually two, in RAID 1 configuration, but that is handled by the RAID controller integrated on my motherboard. I first tried Clonezilla which reported a GPT/MBR mismatch error. Rather than mess with the source drive, and risk losing data, I switched to AOMEI Backupper. That tool quickly and cleanly cloned the drive but, as we know all too well here, the MBR needed to be scrubbed. My attempts to do so using BootRec.exe failed, for hours, trying all the options. I then saw that Macrium's Tool integrated the MBR fix into the application, so now I've tried that.

​​Here are the Macrium Reflect details... I've been unable to perform an intelligent clone due to the MFS chkdsk code throw. Attempts to use chkdsk /r to fix the MFS corruption issue, using an elevated command prompt on reboot with the volume locked, have all been unsuccessful. It finds/fixes a bunch of stuff but then says it can't write the log file (probably due to the volume lock, so maybe this is ok). Note I have no problems booting from the original drive that I am trying to clone.

So I switched over to a Forensic clone and that worked the first time. I forgot to change the target device settings to extend the volume ​​to the end of the new SSD beforehand, and I couldn't find the controls for doing so after the fact, so I used Windows Disk Manager to extend the volume instead, after the clone completed, that is.

As predicted, booting from the new drive didn't work because of the MBR issue so I booted to the rescue disk and used Fix Windows Boot Problems. I unchecked the box from the presently configured MBR (System Reserved ~100MB) on the old drive, and checked the one for the newly cloned drive. Everything ran as expected and I got the Restart PC? prompt.

On restart, I changed my BIOS settings to only allow boot from the new drive, and I continue to get no bootable device found with the newly cloned drive present. If I change my BIOS settings to allow the CD-ROM drive as a boot source, but lower priority than the new SSD, and leave the Rescue Disk inserted, the BIOS will boot the Windows image on the new SSD. If I take the Rescue disk out, it will not.

So, moral to the story appears to be there's still some problem with the MBR.​​

Thank you in advance for your help.
​Chris​​​​​​​ ​​​​
​ ​​

CTMSeattle
CTMSeattle
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I've managed to get this to work. I'm not sure why, but I needed to disconnect all other drives before booting to the rescue disk to fix the MBR after the clone. Then I was able to successfully boot from the new drive with no other drives installed.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...