Backup starting late

Author
jsampson45
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a schedule which requires an incremental backup at 1 p.m. daily. Yesterday I chose to delay the backup by 10 minutes, but I see from the log that it started an hour and a half later. This may be in keeping with the fact that the power saving setting had kicked in. I have Windows 7 Home Premium with a "balanced" power-saving setting. I have not customized this. Does Macrium require it to be customized in some way? I have the schedule set to wake the computer up (I don't know how to verify this) but I suspect that this is not working. I see a knowledgebase article on the computer not waking up but this is for Windows 10.

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jsampson45 - 30 December 2017 9:47 AM
I have a schedule which requires an incremental backup at 1 p.m. daily. Yesterday I chose to delay the backup by 10 minutes, but I see from the log that it started an hour and a half later. This may be in keeping with the fact that the power saving setting had kicked in. I have Windows 7 Home Premium with a "balanced" power-saving setting. I have not customized this. Does Macrium require it to be customized in some way? I have the schedule set to wake the computer up (I don't know how to verify this) but I suspect that this is not working. I see a knowledgebase article on the computer not waking up but this is for Windows 10.

Hi

Scheduled Tasks conditions, including waking up the PC to run, are set when editing or creating a task in Reflect:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Scheduled+Task+Conditions

If you delay a task that is about to start by selecting '10 Minutes' in the following dialog:

And your PC goes into Sleep state within the 10 minute period then the backup will not start until the PC wakes.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jsampson45
jsampson45
New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)New Member (28 reputation)
Macrium seems to have several ways of avoiding finishing an operation while I am not at the computer e.g. the computer not waking up to start the backup, or lengthy merge operations. My aim is that lengthy backups should be infrequent. Today what I thought would be an incremental backup took 90 minutes approximately and produced two files, one of 42 MB, and another of 1 MB approximately. The filenames do not convey human-intelligible information so I do not know whether the former file is full or differential. I can find no mention of it in the log. I had set the schedule to do a monthly full backup, a weekly differential and daily incremental. I do not understand why it made a 42-MB file today when it was set to do an incremental backup only. Should I assume that an incremental backup supplements the last full backup but not the last differential backup? Also, how does Macrium handle changes to the schedule made by the user? I am trying to find a way of generally reducing HD-thrashing time, which involves changing the schedule, but I am not succeeding.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
What are the names of these mysterious files that don't have any mention under the Log tab?  You can also right-click any backup file, click Properties, and go to the Macrium Reflect tab to see information about the file, including whether it's an Inc or Diff.

Reflect Incrementals always build from the most recent matching backup, whether that's a Full, Diff, or another Inc.  And Differentials build from the most recent matching Full.

I'm not sure what you mean by how Reflect handles schedule changes made by the user.  Are you talking about directly editing the task in Windows Task Scheduler?  If so, the answer would depend on what type of changes you're making.

In terms of shortening backup time, Incremental consolidation can indeed take quite a bit of time.  The main benefit of Incrementals Forever in my case is that it means I always have an exact amount of backup history, whereas if I were doing weekly Fulls and daily Incs, for example, when a Full gets purged, I lose an entire week's worth of history in one shot and then it builds up again, so the length of my backup history varies by up to a week depending on where I am in the backup cycle.  Incrementals Forever is also the most storage-efficient way to maintain a given backup history since there's only ever one Full and there are no Diffs, which means there's no "redundant" data in the set.  But it's isn't always the most time-efficient strategy.

Edited 1 January 2018 4:15 PM by jphughan
jsampson45
jsampson45
jphughan - 1 January 2018 4:09 PM
What are the names of these mysterious files that don't have any mention under the Log tab?  You can also right-click any backup file, click Properties, and go to the Macrium Reflect tab to see information about the file, including whether it's an Inc or Diff.

Reflect Incrementals always build from the most recent matching backup, whether that's a Full, Diff, or another Inc.  And Differentials build from the most recent matching Full.

I'm not sure what you mean by how Reflect handles schedule changes made by the user.  Are you talking about directly editing the task in Windows Task Scheduler?  If so, the answer would depend on what type of changes you're making.

In terms of shortening backup time, Incremental consolidation can indeed take quite a bit of time.  The main benefit of Incrementals Forever in my case is that it means I always have an exact amount of backup history, whereas if I were doing weekly Fulls and daily Incs, for example, when a Full gets purged, I lose an entire week's worth of history in one shot and then it builds up again, so the length of my backup history varies by up to a week depending on where I am in the backup cycle.  Incrementals Forever is also the most storage-efficient way to maintain a given backup history since there's only ever one Full and there are no Diffs, which means there's no "redundant" data in the set.  But it's isn't always the most time-efficient strategy.

The name of the 42-MB file made today is F694B6022BD49B54-24-24.mrimg. I see on right-clicking on the filename in Windows Explorer and looking under the Macrium Reflect tab under "Properties" that "backup time" is December 19th. There is no file of that date so I assume that it has been deleted by Macrium Reflect. I had hoped that today's file would be incremental to the differential backup made on 30 December, so as to avoid consolidation of previous incrementals. The differential made on 30 December is 152622FDAC7430BD-08-08.mrimg. I cannot find which file it is differential from.

There is also a file 152622FDAC7430BD-09-09.mrimg made about 6 minutes after F694B6022BD49B54-24-24.mrimg, incremental to it (I assume).

By changing the schedule I mean editing it under the tab "Scheduled Backups" under the tab "Backup" in the Macrium Reflect window. If there is a schedule already being followed by Macrium Reflect and I change it, I do not know how Macrium Reflect deals with backup files already on the destination disk. Suppose the next backup due after my change is incremental, which file, if any, does it choose to increment? It depends what you mean by "matching".

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
For the F694 file, if the Backup Time under the Reflect tab says 12/19, then that file contains a backup performed on 12/19.  What are you looking at that's leading you to believe it was just made today?  Are you perhaps looking at the Date Modified timestamp in Windows?  If your Incrementals are being consolidated, files originally created a while ago can have their Date Modified timestamp updated when another backup is created within that set.

For the 1526 file, it's definitely not an Incremental from the F694 file since the two files have completely different Image IDs.  Image IDs are set whenever a Full runs, and file name of a Full always ends with 00-00, then all child Diff and Inc backups of that Full use that same Image ID in their own names, with just the numbering at the end being different. So if the 1526 file you're looking at is in fact a Differential, it would be built from a Full named 152622FDAC7430BD-00-00, since Diffs are always built from Fulls.  If the 1526 file you're looking at is an Inc, it would be built from the next highest numbered file that still exists in the 152622FDAC7430BD set.

You'll have an easier time editing your schedule by right-clicking the definition file under the Backup Definition Files tab and clicking "Schedule".  The "Scheduled Backups" tab is more to see what scheduled backups result from your current configuration and to give you a way to launch them manually or disable them temporarily.  But schedule changes will not affect the backups that new Inc/Diffs are appended to.  Again, Reflect always appends to the newest matching backup that exists at the destination, regardless of whether that backup came from the same schedule, definition file, or whatever.  See this thread where I wrote posts about how matching works: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic20452.aspx

Edited 1 January 2018 5:49 PM by jphughan
jsampson45
jsampson45
Many thanks - this is very helpful. I was indeed assuming that the backup given today's date in Windows Explorer was made today.
The schedule as shown seems correct, but I suspect that there is another schedule being run as well. I find that I have two files called "My Backup.xml" in different folders. I have deleted the older one and will see what happens.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad I could help!  You may want to take a look at the Scheduled Backups tab in Reflect, all the way on the right.  That actually shows the Reflect jobs that are currently registered in Windows Task Scheduler, which is what Reflect uses for scheduling, so if there are duplicate scheduled jobs running, you should see that clearly indicated there.  If you delete the file without deleting the corresponding scheduled task that may have been pointing to it, you'll end up with failed jobs in your Reflect log.

Edited 1 January 2018 9:00 PM by jphughan
jsampson45
jsampson45
I deleted all but one of the "My Backup.xml" files, but it is the same story today - there are two incremental backups dated today, one small and one large. The small one finished at 14.08 having taken 6 minutes. I saw backing up starting at 13.10 so the larger file must have taken 50-odd minutes. I can find no record why there are two files of today's date. There is no large file of yesterday's date as there was yesterday, so either today's file is yesterday's timestamped today, or it is a new file and yesterday's was deleted. Whichever it was, Macrium took over 50 minutes to produce it. What I want to achieve is for Macrium to produce one file, not two, each day. The filename stems are the same today as yesterday. It looks as if two schedules are being run, producing two backup sets, but only one is being logged or explicitly specified under the Scheduled Backups tab.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
When you say both backups are dated today, are you looking at the Date Modified timestamp or the Backup Date under the Properties > Macrium Reflect tab?  If it's only the former and specifically NOT the latter, then I'm fairly sure I know what's going on.  If so, the good news is that Reflect isn't running multiple backups or running jobs without logging them; what you're seeing would just be normal behavior for your retention policy settings.  However, if what you've asked Reflect to do turns out not to be what you actually wanted, I'd be happy to help you make the desired adjustments.  But to confirm my theory, can you please post a screenshot showing your definition file configuration?  Go to the Backup Definition Files tab, select your definition file, and screenshot the area below it.  If you can't fit it all into one screenshot, then just capture the Schedules and Retention Rules sections.  The Snipping Tool built into Windows is handy for this purpose.  Alternatively (or in addition), if you look at the Backup Dates of the two newest files, is one of them the most recent backup that ran while the other happens to be the oldest Incremental from the oldest Full that still exists in your set?  If so, I'll explain what's happening.

And whether or not you decide to change your retention policy, you might find it easier to look at your list of backups within Reflect, specifically under the Restore tab.  That view will always show backups according to when they occurred, not when the files themselves were last modified, which isn't always the same thing.  Consequently, it would never give the impression of duplicate backups occurring on the same day unless that had actually happened.  It's also a much safer interface to use if you ever want to manually delete backups, because it can prevent you from inadvertently breaking backup chains by deleting the "wrong" file or on the flip side, make sure that any backups that would become useless as a result of a particular deletion also get purged rather than allowing them to stick around taking up space.  Deleting within Windows doesn't offer either of those protections.

Edited 2 January 2018 5:00 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...