MR crashes laptop if updated beyond build 2722

Author
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an HP DV6 laptop running Win10 Home. I do weekly image backups using MR v7.1 Home.

Recently, when I launched MR, I got the notice to update it to builod 1768 -- so I did that. When I then went to run the backup, it hung on the Creating a Snapshot step, so I ran Task Manager and killed MR.

Shortly thereafter, the laptop crashed with a blue screen!

So, I booted from the MR Rescue USB (for the laptop) and did a boot repair. It claimed to complete without problems. But when I rebooted, same blue screen!

So, I rebooted from the USB stick and did a restore from the prior week's MR backup. But when I rebooted, got the same blue screen again.

Thus, I did the following:
1) Removed the SSD from the laptop
2) Connected the SSD to my file server box
3) Used a partition utility to remove the Win10 partition
4) Ran MR and restored Win10 from the same backup

When I reinserted the SSD into the laptop and reboot, it worked OK.

Then this week, when I went to run a backup, I got the notice to update to build 2801 -- which I did. (NOTE: I am running 2801 on three other Win10 PCs without problems). But when I then went to run an MR image backup, it hung the same as before.

So, I went through the same four steps again to restore the laptop to working condition.

Then, I ran an MR image backup using MR build 2722 -- and it worked without problems.

I can't have the laptop stuck on MR 2722 permanently, so what information can I collect for this to be resolved?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
The beginning of your post mentions a build 1768 — is that supposed to be 2768? In terms of the issue, are you running an Insider version of Windows 10? At least 3 users have reported issues with an “Inaccessible boot device” blue screen error when running Reflect on a particular Insider build of Windows 10. If that doesn’t apply, did you happen to catch the details of the blue screen, particularly the exact error and the name of the implicated file, if any?

The fact that you saw a blue screen even after restoring a backup from before the update is very puzzling, especially in combination with the point that wiping the drive and then restoring that exact same backup alleviated the problem. But FYI if you end up stuck again, you don’t need to remove the SSD and connect it somewhere else to use a special utility. The Rescue environment includes Command Prompt, which you can launch from the taskbar, and from there you can use the included “diskpart” utility to erase a disk using the following commands:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk X (substitute the correct number for X, based on the output of the list disk command)
Clean

Then close Command Prompt and click Refresh in Reflect so that it now recognizes that the disk is empty.
Edited 30 December 2017 8:01 AM by jphughan
Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)Junior Member (51 reputation)
To answer the questions ...

You're right -- it was build 2768.  I noticed the typo after I submitted the thread but could see no way to go back and correct it.

No, I am not using an Insider Build on the laptop.  It is running v1709 Build 16299.98.  I have not updated it to build 16299.125 as that was around the time of the first crash and I could rule out that build being the issue.  So, I have held off on that update.

Yes ... see the blue screen AFTER the partition replacement is an oddity I can not explain, as I've never seen that before.  I have to presume that the MR restore of that partition actually failed, as I have no other explanation.

Thanks for the tip on using Diskpart -- I have used that but did not think of doing that.

I did not make record of the blue screen error but when I have some time into the New Year, I will try again and this time, make a record of the error.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
When you ran the first restore that still left you with a blue screen, did you restore only the Windows partition? If so, if this happens again, I’d be curious if restoring all of the partitions that Reflect selects when you click “Image the partitions necessary to boot Windows” still leaves you with a blue screen afterward. That’s actually a safer and more “accurate” Windows restore strategy anyway.

If that restore strategy works as expected, it sounds like your blue screen may pertain to something going on in the Windows Recovery partition and/or (if your system uses UEFI booting) the EFI/System partition, which would also explain why your post-wipe restore resolves the issue even though Reflect did in fact successfully restore the Windows partition the first time around. That said, Reflect wouldn’t modify those other partitions in the course of a patch, but do you by any chance have third-party anti-virus running that might have some sort of boot-time anti-rootkit protection? If so I’m wondering if newer Reflect versions are somehow triggering it.
Edited 30 December 2017 3:34 PM by jphughan
Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
To respond ...

I restored only the Win10 partition.  There was a separate System Reserved partition but no Recovery partition and not UEFI.

When I did the boot repair using the MR boot stick, I first wrote the stuff to the System Reserved partition, but upon reboot, it complained that the boot device could not be found.  So then, I did the repair to the Win10 partition, and upon that, got the blue screen.

After erasing that partition, reformatting it, removing the System Reserved partition, and then using the MR Boot stick to repair the Win10 partition, the laptop booted OK.  I have since made an MR backup of that partition and no longer have the System Reserved partition on the drive.

I have no third-party anti-virus as my AV product has expired and I have not renewed it due to the cost.

Also, the PC does not now have the MR boot option installed, as it did earlier.  My guess would be that was contributing to the reboot problems after the MR upgrades

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.9K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Mark Phelps - 30 December 2017 5:36 PM
To respond ...

I restored only the Win10 partition.  There was a separate System Reserved partition but no Recovery partition and not UEFI.

When I did the boot repair using the MR boot stick, I first wrote the stuff to the System Reserved partition, but upon reboot, it complained that the boot device could not be found.  So then, I did the repair to the Win10 partition, and upon that, got the blue screen.

After erasing that partition, reformatting it, removing the System Reserved partition, and then using the MR Boot stick to repair the Win10 partition, the laptop booted OK.  I have since made an MR backup of that partition and no longer have the System Reserved partition on the drive.

I have no third-party anti-virus as my AV product has expired and I have not renewed it due to the cost.

Also, the PC does not now have the MR boot option installed, as it did earlier.  My guess would be that was contributing to the reboot problems after the MR upgrades

The Macrium Boot Menu can't cause a BSOD so this is strange. If this happens again can you please take a note of the BSOD error message and code. Many thanks. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
The laptop crashed again!
This was preceded by a file system error on the storage partition -- which happened when I tried to open a file.
The initial blue screen simply says the boot device is unreachable and the laptop then restarts.
After that, the next blue screen is stop code 0x000001 -- and there is no additional information.
This time, though, I was able to restore the working version from a backup made a couple of days ago by booting into the MR Rescue USB stick.
Suspecting memory problems, I ran the memory test but it went through both passes with no problems.
I have installed the MR Boot option so I can see if I can use this when the laptop crashes again.

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
UPDATE: Laptop crashed again!  This time, it took several apps with in and corrupted the HP network printer install -- to the degree that I can not reinstall the printer.
There is clearly something seriously wrong and, my guess is, that MR has nothing to do with these issues -- as I now think that upgrading MR to newer versions was coincidental with the crashing problems.
I suspect that there is a driver or app update that is causing this, as this problem only started recently.
So basically, I'm done working this thread for now -- as I am going to dig out an old system image from late November and restore using that, since that was back before these problems started.
Thanks to everyone for helping with this.

Mark Phelps
Mark Phelps
Closing out the comments ... I did restore the laptop from an October backup and all the current problems vanished.  I then updated it to the current version of MR and even installed the WinPE Boot component. There have not been any problems since.

So clearly, the updating of MR was previously only coincidental with the crashing of the PC.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...