Macrium Reflect & Win 10 Insider failure

Author
kingsmeadow
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been on the Windows 10 Insider program, since it started and although there have been issues they have always been overcome. That is until the latest Insider build which is 17063 and it would not upgrade, failing in a number of ways, and on my system it came up with the error " INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE " and battling with that issue over the last few days and trying everything I knew could not upgrade. Finally I uninstalled Macrium Reflect and it installed perfectly !  I appreciate this is not a problem for everyone, but just in case there is another user such as myself who is on the Insider program.
Hope this might help...
Bernie
kingsmeadow
kingsmeadow
Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)Junior Member (53 reputation)
I can also add, that I re-installed Macrium and it would not boot..came up with the same error  " INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE "

Big problem for Microsoft..which I have reported to..
KM
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Hello kingsmeadow, 

Thank you for posting on our forum and bringing this to our attention.

We will have this tested and get back to you with further results ASAP. 

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

CowboyGeek
CowboyGeek
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Same issue as kingsmeadow,
Updating to Build 17063 would GreenScreen. After uninstall MacriumReflect7.1 installed with no issues. Tried installing MacriumReflect7.1 after updating to Build 17063 and at boot system would GreenScreen. Can't use MacriumReflect7.1 on Build 17063.
Gosha
Gosha
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)Macrium Representative (117 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Dear posters, 

Thank you for your patience.

We have created a KB article that will help you get past the issue caused by Microsofts Insider preview update. A further explanation as to what has happened can be found in the link below:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+Insider+Preview+17063+BSOD

Kind regards
Gosha - Macrium Support

kingsmeadow
kingsmeadow
Gosha - 2 January 2018 11:46 AM
Dear posters, 

We have created a KB article that will help you get past the issue caused by Microsofts Insider preview update. A further explanation as to what has happened can be found in the link below:

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Windows+Insider+Preview+17063+BSOD

Thanks for the update Gosha,
I can confirm the fix works on an the existing 17063 installation, I will be trying this on an upgrade as well in the next day or so, and report back with the results,
KM
kingsmeadow
kingsmeadow
Well this is puzzling,,,I just tried to upgrade windows insider from 17046 to 17063 and it failed with the same problem as reported earlier.
I did edit the registry and create the legacy driver patch, and either it didn't get recognised or there is another problem.
And this is a puzzle because my other PC would not restart with Macrium installed, and now with the patch it does re-start and seems to work just fine.
Any thoughts would be most welcome.
KM
kingsmeadow
kingsmeadow
Gosha - 2 January 2018 11:46 AM
Dear posters, 

Gosha..an update for you...I tried to install insider build 17063 using the patch you described, but as I stated it didn't work for me. So I thought I would try again. This time removing the (CBT) driver files by modifying the installation, and I can successfully report that this technique worked ! Reflect is still installed and works fine, with that exception. Not sure if I am prepared to risk modifying  Macrium and reinstate the drivers !
Any thoughts would be welcome,
KM 
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
Given that the CBT driver was the issue, I would have been surprised if choosing not to use CBT hadn't worked -- but of course that requires users to forego CBT entirely, whereas Gosha's workaround was intended to allow people who actually want to use CBT on these newer builds to do so.

rseiler
rseiler
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Does this continue in today's 17074, or was it a one-build wonder?  If it does, it's unclear to me if the change in behavior is deliberate.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...