Unable to boot from rescue media

Author
TrevorRiley
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

I've one machine out of 4 which I have successfully used a rescue usb drive frequently before I now just get a plain blue screen, no text, no mouse and after about 2 minutes the machine just powers off, my thought is that it is a driver issue but with no logs I can't see what it might be, I can boot from rescue media created on another machine but it doesn't see the usb drives which are where I keep my images. I've re-created the usb disk using the win10 & win8.1 kernels but get the same result. Any way I can troubleshoot which driver is the problem?
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
You can try looking at the Drivers folder, specifically its 3 subfolders, and moving drivers out of there systematically, but the issue there is that drivers are also baked into the Boot.wim file since some drivers need to load earlier in order to work, which that mechanism achieves. If just tinkering with the easily accessible Drivers folder doesn’t yield promising results, you can use the DISM application to mount and modify that Boot.wim file. I can’t remember offhand whether the driver files in there are just stored within a specific folder or whether you have to use other DISM commands to add/remove drivers from the actual driver store of that image. If you want to attempt it though, I’ll look into it and even post some example commands for you.

The problem you’re going to have in the end though is that even if you find the offending driver, there isn’t a way to have Reflect exclude drivers from Rescue Media builds; it adds what it considers necessary. I’ve even tried deleting unwanted drivers in the middle of the wizard before the build occurs (such as for a Hyper-V Internal network virtual NIC on my host system), but last time I tried that, it caused the build to error out.
TrevorRiley
TrevorRiley
New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)New Member (33 reputation)
jphughan - 21 December 2017 2:17 PM
You can try looking at the Drivers folder, specifically its 3 subfolders, and moving drivers out of there systematically, but the issue there is that drivers are also baked into the Boot.wim file since some drivers need to load earlier in order to work, which that mechanism achieves. If just tinkering with the easily accessible Drivers folder doesn’t yield promising results, you can use the DISM application to mount and modify that Boot.wim file. I can’t remember offhand whether the driver files in there are just stored within a specific folder or whether you have to use other DISM commands to add/remove drivers from the actual driver store of that image. If you want to attempt it though, I’ll look into it and even post some example commands for you.The problem you’re going to have in the end though is that even if you find the offending driver, there isn’t a way to have Reflect exclude drivers from Rescue Media builds; it adds what it considers necessary. I’ve even tried deleting unwanted drivers in the middle of the wizard before the build occurs (such as for a Hyper-V Internal network virtual NIC on my host system), but last time I tried that, it caused the build to error out.

Thanks for the info, as it seems to happen immediately I was assuming it's most likely to be disk but that folder is empty so there are only vendor drivers for usb and network but I'll have a play about with them and see what I get,. all the drivers say they are present in the drivers folder except the disk controller (copy host driver) and the usb xhci controller (compatible driver in WinPE)
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.9K reputation)
If you have a driver that says “Copy host driver”, your Drivers folder shouldn’t be completely empty, at least not after completing that wizard.
TrevorRiley
TrevorRiley
jphughan - 21 December 2017 2:33 PM
If you have a driver that says “Copy host driver”, your Drivers folder shouldn’t be completely empty, at least not after completing that wizard.

You've pointed me in exactly the right direction, I've run the intel driver update wizard and updated the drivers for the chipset and rapid storage, re-created the boot usb and all now working! Many thanks to you!!!
jphughan
jphughan
Excellent! Happy to help. Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...