Booting the Rescue Disk I only get 640x480

Author
TChalmers
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi:
I'm testing v7.1 Free but when I boot the Rescue Disk it gives me a resolution of 640x480. I can't resize the windows so I don't have access to any of the buttons to do anything. I checked the Screen Resolution menu and 640x480 is the only choice.
Acer Aspire V5-571, Windows 8.1, Macrium Reflect v7.1.2792 [UEFI] Free, the normal screen resolution is 1366x768.
When building the Rescue Disk I have used only the default choices that were provided.
Where should I look for more info to help me understand what's going wrong?
Thanks,
TimC
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.8K reputation)
This has come up from time to time here.  There seem to be two causes of this.  The first is apparently a bug in WinPE 10 1607 that triggers this with some systems, and the second is that some systems have an implementation of UEFI that isn't fully compliant, specifically in how it implements the Graphics Output Protocol spec, which informs the OS about the capabilities of the GPU.  The latter issue seems to be particularly prevalent on Lenovo systems, but it's also been found on some systems by Fujitsu, Dell, and now apparently Acer.  You can try updating your BIOS/firmware, but if that doesn't fix it, the next step is to try building your Rescue Media using a different version of Windows PE.  To do that, go to Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media and click the Change PE Version.  There isn't a single version that cures this issue on all systems, so experiment.  In general, the ideal version of WinPE is 10 since it includes the most comprehensive hardware support, so try that if you're not already.  WinPE 5 is fairly close; the only notable support it lacks is for Storage Spaces data volumes and unlocking volumes protected with the new XTS mode of BitLocker, but if you don't need either of those, WinPE 5 should be fine if you're currently having trouble with PE 10.  If neither of those works, WinPE 4 lacks native support for USB 3.0, which can be frustrating, but that can usually be fixed with driver injection.

If none of those resolve the problem, the last resort would be to try booting your Rescue Media in Legacy BIOS mode rather than UEFI.  The only snags there are that it will require you to change your BIOS settings around (and then change them back to boot your hard drive), and also the "Fix Boot Problems" function won't work properly because it operates based on how the Rescue environment was booted, which wouldn't be appropriate for working with a hard drive intended to be booted in the opposite mode.

Edited 21 December 2017 3:18 AM by jphughan
TChalmers
TChalmers
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Hi:
Rebuilding the Rescue Disk with WinPE 5 solved the problem.
Thank you!! Now I can uninstall Acronis. 
TimC

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...