Rescue media appears to be corrupt, for VMware VM boot

Author
NJK-Work
Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I created a rescue media ISO a week ago or so and it was corrupt - a VM could not boot to it.  It would hang and then give this error message:
"The operation on "/location of iso file on vCenter storage" failed."
I tried a few times and same error.  So I recreated the ISO and then it worked.  I figured it was just a bad ISO.

Today I updated to the latest Reflect version and recreated the ISO.  And gain, the same problem happened and I could not boot the ISO on the VM.  However this time I tried creating the ISO and I still get the same error.  So now I cannot get a working ISO file for VMware.
Anyone else see this problem?
Thanks
NK
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.8K reputation)
Group: Administrators
NJK-Work - 20 December 2017 4:48 PM
I created a rescue media ISO a week ago or so and it was corrupt - a VM could not boot to it.  It would hang and then give this error message:
I tried a few times and same error.  So I recreated the ISO and then it worked.  I figured it was just a bad ISO.

Today I updated to the latest Reflect version and recreated the ISO.  And gain, the same problem happened and I could not boot the ISO on the VM.  However this time I tried creating the ISO and I still get the same error.  So now I cannot get a working ISO file for VMware.
Thanks
NK

It may be problem with vCentre reading the location that's storing the ISO file, not the ISO file itself. Have you tried a different location?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 20 December 2017 6:39 PM by Nick
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)Junior Member (66 reputation)
Nick - 20 December 2017 5:52 PM

Thanks
NK

It may be problem with vCentre reading the location that's storing the ISO file, not the ISO file itself. Have you tried a different location?

This is a common data store we keep all of our ISO files on, which we have used hundreds of time for many years...but I will talk to our VMware guys and see if there is another storage location I can try just to eliminate that as a possibility.
Thanks
NK
NJK-Work
NJK-Work
Nick - 20 December 2017 5:52 PM

Thanks
NK

I created a 3rd ISO (since the first two I tried did not work and I deleted them) to test on a new data store.  To confirm it was still broken on the original data store, I tried it on there first...and now it works.  So I had to create the ISO three times before I got one that worked.

Thanks
Nelson
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
How repeatable is this? If you want to pursue it, grab a utility that calculates the MD5 or SHA-1 hash of files that you point it to; there are several free tools that do this. If you can create another one that’s broken in your main data store, calculate the hash of that file and compare it to the one that works to see if the files are in fact different. If they are, try copying both files to your local system and see if either hash changes — if one does, there was an issue reading from the original data store.

Finally, try initially saving the newly generated ISO file on your local system, check the hash there (and verify it works), then copy it to the data store and see if the hash changes.
Edited 21 December 2017 10:17 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...