Clone not working for encrypted drive

Author
Tim David
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an internal hard drive that is full-disk encrypted with Symantec Endpoint Encryption.  I have previously made clones of this same hard drive, successfully twice. What I normally see when the drive is connected, and I open Reflect, is that the drive is seen as "Raw".  Today I tried to make a clone of this drive and it fails with the error "Clone failed - Seek failed - 22 - Invalid argument-Error reading volume bitmap - Error code = 1. Please run 'chkdsk G: /r' ".  I have attached a screen capture of the error.
In previous sessions of Macrium, the encrypted drive (the source) was shown as being "Raw" file system. Today it says "NTFS".  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Again, this has worked twice before, with the same source disk.

Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
If Reflect can see that the file system is NTFS rather than RAW as you saw before, that suggests that this clone is being attempted while the source volume is unlocked, whereas previous clone jobs may have run while it was locked?  Otherwise, the very latest release of Reflect did include some additional intelligence pertaining to how BitLocker-encrypted volumes are restored/cloned, so I wonder if maybe that had an adverse effect on your solution?

Have you tried simply running CHKDSK /R as suggested?

Tim David
Tim David
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 19 December 2017 5:51 PM
If Reflect can see that the file system is NTFS rather than RAW as you saw before, that suggests that this clone is being attempted while the source volume is unlocked, whereas previous clone jobs may have run while it was locked?  Otherwise, the very latest release of Reflect did include some additional intelligence pertaining to how BitLocker-encrypted volumes are restored/cloned, so I wonder if maybe that had an adverse effect on your solution?

Tim David
Tim David

Yes. Chkdsk reports the file system is RAW and states that chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.
Tim David
Tim David

I did see that the latest update dealt with BitLocker encrypted drives, so the thought did cross my mind that it could be a related issue. I dismissed it though because it's not BitLocker encryption.

I did, however, try to roll back Windows to a prior restore point and it didn't help.
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (3.1K reputation)
So Reflect sees it as NTFS even while CHKDSK sees it as RAW?  I'm not sure what to suggest at this point, having no familiarity with Symantec encryption; I didn't even realize that Endpoint Protection had even started offering encryption.  But chances are that Macrium staff will see this thread shortly and be able to help.  Good luck!

Just as a workaround, would switching to BitLocker be an option, at least temporarily?  Or do you not have a Pro version of Windows?

Edited 19 December 2017 6:05 PM by jphughan
Tim David
Tim David
jphughan - 19 December 2017 6:04 PM
So Reflect sees it as NTFS even while CHKDSK sees it as RAW?  I'm not sure what to suggest at this point, having no familiarity with Symantec encryption; I didn't even realize that Endpoint Protection had even started offering encryption.  But chances are that Macrium staff will see this thread shortly and be able to help.  Good luck!

Just as a workaround, would switching to BitLocker be an option, at least temporarily?  Or do you not have a Pro version of Windows?

Hey, thanks anyway for the replies. Always good to get another set of brain cells on an issue. I misspoke about the Symantec product. It's not Enpoint Protection, it's Endpoint Encryption Full Disk version.
We will be switching to BitLocker when Windows 10 rolls out, but for now, Symantec it is.
Hopefully you're right and Macrium folks will see this and jump on in.
Again, I appreciate your suggestions!
Have a great day!
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators

Tim David - 19 December 2017 5:31 PM
I have an internal hard drive that is full-disk encrypted with Symantec Endpoint Encryption.  I have previously made clones of this same hard drive, successfully twice. What I normally see when the drive is connected, and I open Reflect, is that the drive is seen as "Raw".  Today I tried to make a clone of this drive and it fails with the error "Clone failed - Seek failed - 22 - Invalid argument-Error reading volume bitmap - Error code = 1. Please run 'chkdsk G: /r' ".  I have attached a screen capture of the error.
In previous sessions of Macrium, the encrypted drive (the source) was shown as being "Raw" file system. Today it says "NTFS".  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hi Tim

Thanks for posting.

If Reflect sees the drive as NTFS then it isn't using 'Full disk' encryption as it has a valid NTFS Bios Parameter Block. Very strange. 

You can stop the error by changing the settings for the Clone to 'Forensic' copy rather than 'Intelligent'.  (Perhaps this was set before?)

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Clone+-+Avdanced+Options

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited 19 December 2017 6:42 PM by Nick
Tim David
Tim David
Nick - 19 December 2017 6:42 PM

Thank you.

Hi Tim

Thanks for posting.

If Reflect sees the drive as NTFS then it isn't using 'Full disk' encryption as it has a valid NTFS Bios Parameter Block. Very strange. 

You can stop the error by changing the settings for the Clone to 'Forensic' copy rather than 'Intelligent'.  (Perhaps this was set before?)

Tim David
Tim David
Nick - 19 December 2017 6:42 PM

Thank you.

Hi Tim

Thanks for posting.

Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion.  It may have been set to Forensic rather than intelligent, I will have to look at one of the other systems that I use for cloning (which hasn't gotten the current update either) and see.  "Full disk encryption" is the terminology that Symantec uses in its Endpoint Encryption product.  I know that when we have to replace someone's hard drive at work, we have to decrypt the drive to recover their data (if the disk is no longer bootable).

Thank you again. I will examine my systems and see what the settings are.

Have a great day!

Tim
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...