mounting on macos

Author
ihab
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
i have a backup image from my windows desktop C drive, can I mount it on my macbook os on VM or something? i could not restore it to a 2TB USB HDD, the image is a backup of 250GB. is there a way? thanks
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
You should be able to just MOUNT the image under your Windows System if you need access to any of those files... Reflect will allow you to do that.

How FULL was that 250gB drive image when you took it?
ihab
ihab
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
thank you Froggie,
but i wanted to mount it on MacOS on MBP not on windows. I managed to restore it on a USB HDD but when i tried to boot from it, I couldnt any ideas?
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
I don't quite understand your need here, forgive me.  I assumed it was a Windows image of some sort, and you wanting to mount it in a VM on MacOS seemed like you wanted file access, not BOOTability.

Now it sounds like you're trying to BOOT from it, and the only place that can be done is on a Windows System.

Maybe you could explain exactly what you're trying to do with that 250gB image... that would help the Forum better understand what it is you want to really do with that DATA.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
It sounds like you have an image captured from a Windows PC and you want to either a) boot that image as a VM on your Mac, using something like VMware or Parallels, or b) mount the image as a virtual drive to extract files from it.  You can't do either one.  Reflect does not run in any capacity on Mac OS, and its image file format is proprietary.  I'm not aware of any third-party tools that run on Mac OS or anywhere else that know how to interpret Reflect's image files so that they can either be mounted accessed as virtual drives or fed to a VM hypervisor to be used as a virtual disk of a VM.

In terms of restoring your image onto a USB drive, unlike Mac OS, Windows does not support booting from a USB device (except for installations specifically prepared as a Windows To Go environment from the beginning, but that's only available to enterprises and wouldn't apply here anyway), so you can't simply restore an image from a Windows PC onto a USB hard drive and then boot from it while it's still connected via USB.  And even if that weren't an issue, there are certainly other complications you would likely face trying to get a Windows environment originally created on another PC to boot on a Mac.  And even after all of that, your Windows environment would fall out of its activated status because you were now running it on completely different hardware.

Edited 18 December 2017 10:15 PM by jphughan
ihab
ihab
jphughan - 18 December 2017 9:59 PM
It sounds like you have an image captured from a Windows PC and you want to either a) boot that image as a VM on your Mac, using something like VMware or Parallels, or b) mount the image as a virtual drive to extract files from it.  You can't do either one.  Reflect does not run in any capacity on Mac OS, and its image file format is proprietary.  I'm not aware of any third-party tools that run on Mac OS or anywhere else that know how to interpret Reflect's image files so that they can either be mounted accessed as virtual drives or fed to a VM hypervisor to be used as a virtual disk of a VM.

In terms of restoring your image onto a USB drive, unlike Mac OS, Windows does not support booting from a USB device (except for installations specifically prepared as a Windows To Go environment from the beginning, but that's only available to enterprises and wouldn't apply here anyway), so you can't simply restore an image from a Windows PC onto a USB hard drive and then boot from it while it's still connected via USB.  And even if that weren't an issue, there are certainly other complications you would likely face trying to get a Windows environment originally created on another PC to boot on a Mac.  And even after all of that, your Windows environment would fall out of its activated status because you were now running it on completely different hardware.

Thank you so much, I found my reply in your answer.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...