SD card backup.

Author
Virginia McGovern
Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)Junior Member (85 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all.
I regularly run a file & folder backup of my SD card containing my downloaded programs, recently I bought a 32Gb SD card to replace the 16Gb I was using, I transferred the programs over using copy & paste & am now backing up this card.
I recently had the need to mount the back up & noticed that the total size of the mounted card was still 16Gb & not 32 as expected.
Do I need to do anything to show the correct card size when mounting it? The actual card shows fine in Windows devices.

Thanks,
jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
File and Folder backups don't actually capture the size of the volume from which they were captured; they just contain files and folders, and Reflect presents that data set as a virtual disk when you mount them, so a discrepancy in size is expected.  I have a F&F backup from a 1.7 TB volume where 1.02 TB is in use, and my F&F backup mounts as a 1.13 TB volume with 960 GB in use.  I have no idea how the "free space" to present on the virtual disk is determined, and I'm guessing that the discrepancy in the amount of space consumed on my source vs. in my recent F&F backup is the System Volume Information folder that contains several VSS snapshots since this is a server on which twice daily shadow copies are enabled.

Edited 18 December 2017 1:49 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...