Problem With: "Recovery Boot Menu Option"

Author
Chuck Colsch
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
HELLO!
Previously, my PC had 2 Options if I needed to do a Restore:
1.  (Preferably::)  I had a working "Boot Menu Option" so that, whenever my PC started, for 10 seconds it allowed me to Boot either to Windows or to Macrium Restore.

2.  ALSO, I have a USB External Hard Drive which has a Macrium Boot Sector, so that when my PC starts, I can repeatedly press F8 to Boot to that External Drive.

My Preferred Option - #1 Above - recently Stopped Working:  If I Select Macrium Restore when the PC starts, it now displays the following message:
    ""Windows Failed to Start;  Status 0xc000000f;  A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.""

Could someone please suggest a good first couple of steps I could try to restore the Macrium Boot Menu Option?

Thank you for your Help ! !
- Chuck

Edited 17 December 2017 11:30 PM by Chuck Colsch
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Interesting, someone else just reported this exact same problem today in this thread: https://forum.macrium.com/Topic20159.aspx

I made some suggestions, but having a second report of this just today makes me wonder if something else may be afoot here. If so, I’m sure Macrium will be along in one or both of these threads sooner rather than later.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
One option you can try is rebuilding your Rescue Media / boot menu recovery files. To do that, go through the Create Rescue Media wizard and on the last step where you choose a target disc/USB drive, click the Rebuild button and follow that wizard. When you return to the target device step, you can just close out of it because the files will have been updated. Then try the boot menu recovery option again.
Chuck Colsch
Chuck Colsch
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Thank you, JP.  I will test that!  Smile

Chuck Colsch
Chuck Colsch
Woops!  It appears I must have left out a key bit of info . . .
     Previously, at bootup when I selected the Macrium Recovery Environment ("MRE"), the PC Itself Booted to MRE-- NOT Via DVD, Flash Drive, Etc.;
which seems to indicate that Macrium had placed the necessary boot files onto an internal drive to make it bootable.  This is described in the Help File
which states (in so many words)::  "The Boot Menu Recovery Environment allows you to start the computer in Macrium/Windows PE Without using a Boot CD."
And So, the "Rebuild" Sequence that you mentioned does not seem to apply (unless my understanding is completely wrong).
Thanks, Chuck

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
It does still apply.  The Rebuild option rebuilds the files Reflect caches on your PC primarily to build Rescue Media.  But if you enable the boot menu recovery option, the additional boot entry that gets created just points to that cache of files, since after all the boot menu recovery environment is identical to the Rescue Media environment and those files are sitting there anyway.  Consequently, the rebuild option will affect the boot menu recovery environment -- and incidentally, if you ever update Reflect within Windows and want to make sure your boot menu recovery environment uses that new release, the rebuild option is how you achieve that. Smile

Edited 18 December 2017 1:06 AM by jphughan
Chuck Colsch
Chuck Colsch
Okay So, the "Boot Menu Option" having been selected,
I Select "Create Rescue Media" & Go to the "Burn Rescue Media" page & Click the "Rebuild" Button,
Which opens the "Prepare Windows PE Image" page, so I Click "Next", which places the boot.wim file into the "sources" folder.

And what would I next do?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
After that rebuild process completes, you can cancel out of the Rescue Media wizard (unless you actually want to update any external Rescue Media you have with the newly rebuilt files at this point), and then try booting into the boot menu recovery option again.

Edited 18 December 2017 1:37 AM by jphughan
Chuck Colsch
Chuck Colsch
Still no change (Still get the "Windows Failed to Start" Message).

My guess is, when the "Macrium Recovery Environment" Tile is Selected, that Windows receives no indication where the boot-file is located.

Chuck Colsch
Chuck Colsch
WHOA NELLIE!!  BIG CHANGE!

As soon as I posted that Last Reply, INSTANTLY I got an inspiration::
"HEY Fella, you know what you forgot?"
    "What?"  Says I, in a disinterested tone.
"Well, Youse actually forgot ta FIRST tell it, "No" ya don't want no "Boot Menu Option" -- & THEN you tell it otherwise.  See??"

Which I did . . .  And IT Did!

Thanks Again, JP, for all your time !!
Chuck

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...