Unable to get recovery boot option implemented

Author
GrahamGo
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have a Dell XPS13 (no DVD, only USB). I am simply trying to get the recovery boot option working on this laptop. I have tried so many times and getting frustrated. I presume when this it is installed I will see two boot options Macrium/Windows10?
I have created the rescue media, and have run Add recovery boot option and tried various bios settings but to no avail. I am sure that I am missing a step somewhere, but searching the web and help sections has not provided me with the answer.

Can you advise me, please
 Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
This wouldn't be something that would appear as a BIOS-level boot option, nor would you need any special BIOS customizations to make it work.  After you run the boot menu wizard, click Start and type "System Configuration".  Launch the application of the same name that will appear in the results, and go to the Boot tab.  Do you see a second boot entry at that point?  If not, since running that wizard will add the boot menu option if it exists or remove it if it doesn't, close System Configuration and repeat those steps and see whether it appears after that second time.  If you still don't see it listed, do you have any third-party anti-virus?  It might be interfering with an attempt to create an alternative boot path, since that can be used maliciously.

GrahamGo
GrahamGo
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
@jphughan Thank you for the advice. You were correct, disabling ant-virus allowed the second boot entry to show up. In System Configuration/Boot I now see two line 1. Windows 10 (C:\Windows)etc and 2. Macrium Reflect System Recovery (\Windows)
I have done several system images and performed incremental's etc over quite a time to a NAS and am pretty sure that part is OK. I now desire to restore an earlier image of the laptop. Something that I have never attempted before. However, I am still stuck and cannot restore the image.
May I ask for a little hand holding as I am not sure at which stage I am going wrong.

In Macrium Reflect V7 I select Restore/Browse for an image or backup file to restore. i see several images on the NAS. I select one. I then see a graphic representation of the source and destination. Looks fine. I drag partitions form the source into the destination. Click next and see the restore summary. Click finish. I then see the following window

I click Run from Windows PE. and get the Windows security window. I have tried the username with and without the \ (read that it is required)

Next the laptop reboots and I see a black screen with the following

Doesn't look good. The laptop tends to reboot back to windows 10 sign in. I would appreciate a pointer or two.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Well first, I think the username prefix needs to be .\, not just \ — but that doesn’t explain that boot error. You’re following the proper process, but one alternative method you could try would be manually selecting the Reflect boot menu option when Windows starts rather than having the Reflect restore wizard try to automatically boot you into that environment. If your system uses UEFI booting, then one way to do that would be to click Start, click the icon to show the Shut Down/Restart options, and then hold Shift when you click Restart. That will cause an advanced boot menu to appear after Windows restarts, and from there you should find an option to boot into Rescue now that you’ve got the boot menu recovery option enabled. If it still fails, does your anti-virus have some sort of anti-rootkit functionality? Although the boot menu recovery environment is independent, technically the Windows Boot Loader on your hard drive loads even before that boot choice is offered, so I’m wondering if AV might be active even at that point. If so, the last resort would be to use the Create Rescue Media wizard to build external Rescue Media on a disc or flash drive and boot from that, since that would not load anything at all from your hard drive. From there the restore process works exactly the same, except you MAY need to manually specify the path to your NAS to see your images. If you don’t see them already listed in the Restore tab, click the “Folders to search” link and add your NAS, remembering to prefix your username with .\

Good luck!
Edited 17 December 2017 7:24 PM by jphughan
GrahamGo
GrahamGo
@
jphughan Thank you for your detailed reply. I didn't know that Shift - Restart results in an advanced boot menu. Good info. I tried it and did find the Macrium boot option. But when I chose it I eventually get the same black screen as before. I also tried the USB option, but this time it results in a black screen and blinking cursor. (This using PE10)
Next, I tried using the PE5 boot version. In this case, it partially works, the laptop does boot up into Macrium boot menu but after a short while, it says something about a catastrophic error.
So in terms of the Dell XPS13 it appears that PE10 has a problem. If using PE5 is a viable option then I will try to see what is causing the error, Unfortunately, I need a magnifying glass because the text is minute on the 3800x1800 pixel screen Smile

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Hmm, my wife has an XPS 13 (9350 generation) and PE 10 works just fine. But another user reported that exact same black screen issue earlier today, so this may be something for Macrium to look into — especially if you’re seeing a catastrophic failure error AFTER the Rescue environment loads. I’d recommend posting a screenshot of that here, even if it requires taking a picture of your laptop display with a smartphone or something. It may aid troubleshooting.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Well in that other thread where this same issue when trying to use the boot menu recovery option was reported, it was just resolved by rebuilding the Rescue Media files (which are used by the boot menu recovery option) and then disabling and re-enabling the boot menu recovery option itself.  I would recommend disabling your AV before proceeding given that it's already proved meddlesome here.

For the former part, go to Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media.  Follow the wizard to the final step where you would normally choose a disc/USB target and click the Rebuild button instead, then click "Next".  Once the progress bar completes and returns you to the final step of the wizard you saw previously, you can cancel out of that wizard, unless you actually want to update any physical Rescue Media.

For the latter part, go to Other Tasks > Add Boot Menu Recovery Option, select "No menu", and click OK.  Then jump right back in and re-enable the WinPE 10 version, then see whether the boot menu option works.

That of course wouldn't explain why even USB-based WinPE 10 Rescue Media doesn't seem to start, but see if recreating that USB media after having rebuilt the Rescue Media file cache takes care of that.

GrahamGo
GrahamGo
I have done exactly as you described, with anti-virus (Windows Defender) turned off. A small step forward. When I start the image restore function the laptop now does restart correctly into PE10. A window pops up as below.

Then after 40-50 seconds another popup

Comments. The reflect P10 appears to freeze. The pop-ups come and go. The laptop reboots into W10
I am somewhat concerned. I bought V6 3 user, and recently upgraded to V7. During about a year of use, I have done regular file backups and the occasional full image I believe all of this has functioned correctly. This is the first time that I have wanted to recover an image. It's a disappointing introduction to this function. I have had no problems recovering files from the NAS. 

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, well now that your boot menu recovery environment starts, can you manually boot into that environment (e.g. using the Shift-Restart technique) and set up the entire restore there rather than staging it within "real" Windows and having Reflect use its automatic restore feature to reboot into the boot menu recovery environment and run it automatically?  I realize that what you're currently doing should be working, and hopefully Macrium will be able to provide more assistance on that front, but in the meantime I'm simply suggesting a workaround.  You may find my earlier posts about the "Folders to search" function helpful if manually booting into the Rescue environment doesn't immediately show the images stored on your NAS.

Edited 18 December 2017 3:19 PM by jphughan
GrahamGo
GrahamGo
Hi, I had a few minutes to try this. Yes, I can boot into P10 and navigate around it. It somehow already 'knows' my NAS path ie. where the files are. Specifically its \\NAS-Muller\PC-images\Dell XPS13\   However, it either cannot seem to open the path (or something) because it does not see the image files. I also tried adding a direct path which is \\192.168.1.88\ but cannot get it to see the NAS.
There is a NETWORK tab available, but it is blank
I will try again later on when I have more time, but this seems to be a problem. Possibly could it be why the automatic version is failing?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...