Macrium 7: backup stuck "in process"

Author
RTay
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
All backups have been proceeding as they should... until today. C drive is set to incremental backups forever at 6:00 PM. But today it did not back up, and the program tells me it is in process, even though it isn't. (The other HD backed up at 2:00 PM and all was well at that time.)
When I attempt a "perform the backup now" manually, I get a blue screen. So fast I don't even get a minidump.

RTay
RTay
New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)New Member (13 reputation)
RTay - 15 December 2017 4:12 AM
All backups have been proceeding as they should... until today. C drive is set to incremental backups forever at 6:00 PM. But today it did not back up, and the program tells me it is in process, even though it isn't. (The other HD backed up at 2:00 PM and all was well at that time.)
When I attempt a "perform the backup now" manually, I get a blue screen. So fast I don't even get a minidump.

I should add that I was using Verifier (on mrcbt.sys and mrigflt.sys) trying to determine which driver has been causing a blue screen every other day when resuming from sleep. When stopping Verifier, Macrium went ahead and performed the manual backup -- even though it still thought it was "in process."

So my question now, is "Is it possible that Macrium is, upon resumption from sleep, trying to access memory beyond what is addressable?" (ntoskrnl.exe is the driver shutting down the computer, but it, itself, couldn't actually be responsible... after all, it is a win7 NT Kernal &System file.
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RTay - 15 December 2017 4:39 AM
RTay - 15 December 2017 4:12 AM

I should add that I was using Verifier (on mrcbt.sys and mrigflt.sys) trying to determine which driver has been causing a blue screen every other day when resuming from sleep. When stopping Verifier, Macrium went ahead and performed the manual backup -- even though it still thought it was "in process."

So my question now, is "Is it possible that Macrium is, upon resumption from sleep, trying to access memory beyond what is addressable?" (ntoskrnl.exe is the driver shutting down the computer, but it, itself, couldn't actually be responsible... after all, it is a win7 NT Kernal &System file.

Thanks for posting.

To clarify what is happening, can you let us know what "the program tells me it is in process, even though it isn't." means.  Is the scheduled status task showing 'Running' in the 'Scheduled Backups' tab?  This status is coming directly from the Windows Task scheduler so could you check to see if the WTS UI shows the same?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

RTay
RTay
Yes, it was the "running" or "in process" message in the Scheduled Backups Tab ("Status" column).
That problem has cleared up. I suspect it was due to Verifier.

However, I was interested in looking into the Task Scheduler UI anyway, and I notice that this Macrium backup in the properties dialog is shown as configured for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, rather than Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2. Is this the proper configuration?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.3K reputation)
Group: Administrators
RTay - 15 December 2017 5:42 PM
Yes, it was the "running" or "in process" message in the Scheduled Backups Tab ("Status" column).
That problem has cleared up. I suspect it was due to Verifier.

However, I was interested in looking into the Task Scheduler UI anyway, and I notice that this Macrium backup in the properties dialog is shown as configured for Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, rather than Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2. Is this the proper configuration?

Thanks for getting back.

So there is no problem  now?

There's no difference in terms of scheduling between the 'Configure for' options except for 'XP, Server 2003' which is available only when you create a task and uses the TS 1.0 API 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

RTay
RTay
Correct, no problems. The blue screen may have been caused by aoddriver2.sys, which has been deleted. Thanks for your replies.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...