Inaccessible boot device error...

Author
hlucky
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Guys,
I need a little help from you guys!
Macrium software is more than perfect, I using it for years.!
So, I have a computer about 1 year old. It has 2 SSD drives, Samsung 850 Eco. Works great. for me, I backup the 2 win10 partitions, System reserved and system C. every day, full backup.
By the end of November, Sometimes when I boot the computer, I get this error. So, thanks to the Rapid delta restore, it takes about a minute to restore, an I can boot the computer. What restore does is this in order:
Writing partition table.
Replacing MBR and Track 0 from backup.
Writing Master Boot Record(MBR).
All good but sometimes i change something or install or update a program, and when i use this restore, I loose all changes.
Is there a way to restore only the lines i wrote up?
I know...on recovery disk (obviously I have to use that for restore!) there is an option for "Fix Windows Boot Problems".
It's not working for me. I've tried with all option checked, and only with the 2nd restore MBR but didn't boot after...
Can someone help me with that before I can Reinstall everything...Probably malware...but the norton and other programs didn't find any...
Thanks,
Luc
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
I don't think there's a way to do that directly, but as a workaround, one option you could do would be the following:

#1: Boot into Rescue
#2: Make a new backup of your system (even though it's not in the state that you want)
#3: Restore a previous image that contains a partition table and MBR you want.
#4: Restore the backup you created in Step 2, but uncheck the option to restore the MBR (under Advanced Options).  That will bring all of your data back, except for the MBR that you restored from a previous backup.

Alternatively, there might be third-party tools you can use to mount an older image within Rescue and then copy the MBR from that mounted disk over to your main disk.

All that said, if you're seeing an Inaccessible Boot Device error fairly frequently, I think there's a decent chance that your SSD is dying.  Restoring your data might be fixing it temporarily because SSDs use a technique called wear leveling, which means that data mapped to a given logical position on the disk does not always end up written to the same physical location within the SSD.  So in your case, it's possible that a boot-critical bit of data is in a problematic area of the SSD, which causes the error, and then by restoring the system, a new copy of that data ends up being stored in another working location within the SSD.  But frequent restores of course isn't a good long-term solution.

Edited 13 December 2017 5:09 PM by jphughan
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Luc, is that error HARD at that point?  Meaning if you try and reBOOT from there <ctrl-alt-del> it fails forever from then on?

I ask this because I had a very similar problem with the BiOS timing in an HP MiniTower cause by having a UFD (flash device) enabled in my BiOS BOOT order.  It was usually a "soft" error and a forced reBOOT at error time didn't see it again until the next time it decided to happen.  As soon as I removed that from my BOOT order it never happened again.

To get around it I would just BOOT off that UFD using the startup BOOT Menu option instead of having it configured in my BOOT order... all was well from then on.

Edited 13 December 2017 7:11 PM by Froggie
hlucky
hlucky
New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)New Member (16 reputation)
Froggie - 13 December 2017 7:11 PM
Luc, is that error HARD at that point?  Meaning if you try and reBOOT from there <ctrl-alt-del> it fails forever from then on?

I ask this because I had a very similar problem with the BiOS timing in an HP MiniTower cause by having a UFD (flash device) enabled in my BiOS BOOT order.  It was usually a "soft" error and a forced reBOOT at error time didn't see it again until the next time it decided to happen.  As soon as I removed that from my BOOT order it never happened again.

To get around it I would just BOOT off that UFD using the startup BOOT Menu option instead of having it configured in my BOOT order... all was well from then on.

Thanks froggie,
I've checked my BIOS settings and are the same from the beginning...the problem appeared about 3 weeks ago...
I don't have USB in my boot order...
when I google the error, they said it can be also from malware...
We'll see,
Thanks,
Lu

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
Malware can definitely destroy your boot sector and trigger that error, but if you're getting that error repeatedly, there are only a few possibilities:

- The image you're restoring to when this happens is also infected, possibly with a piece of malware programmed to lie dormant for a while before triggering.  This seems unlikely since most malware runs as soon as possible to start doing damage rather than risking being detected before it does anything.

- You're repeatedly getting yourself infected with malware.

- The problem isn't malware at all, but rather a drive whose reliability is in decline.

Edited 14 December 2017 4:25 PM by jphughan
hlucky
hlucky
jphughan - 13 December 2017 5:06 PM
I don't think there's a way to do that directly, but as a workaround, one option you could do would be the following:

#1: Boot into Rescue
#2: Make a new backup of your system (even though it's not in the state that you want)
#3: Restore a previous image that contains a partition table and MBR you want.
#4: Restore the backup you created in Step 2, but uncheck the option to restore the MBR (under Advanced Options).  That will bring all of your data back, except for the MBR that you restored from a previous backup.

Alternatively, there might be third-party tools you can use to mount an older image within Rescue and then copy the MBR from that mounted disk over to your main disk.

All that said, if you're seeing an Inaccessible Boot Device error fairly frequently, I think there's a decent chance that your SSD is dying.  Restoring your data might be fixing it temporarily because SSDs use a technique called wear leveling, which means that data mapped to a given logical position on the disk does not always end up written to the same physical location within the SSD.  So in your case, it's possible that a boot-critical bit of data is in a problematic area of the SSD, which causes the error, and then by restoring the system, a new copy of that data ends up being stored in another working location within the SSD.  But frequent restores of course isn't a good long-term solution.

Thanks jphughan,
The work around is great, didn't think about this option to retain all changes...
The thing is SSDs are only about 1 year old. I've tried something before I posted, thinking as you about the drive.
so i switched them. Delete all partitions on both SSD drives, make the backup one the system . Restore system to the new drive.....Same think
happened.! can it be both drives falls the same time on same locations?
the thing is this. My computer is on through the night, make a backup early in the morning. only I got this problem last 2-3 weeks...
Here is how it is happening...after restoring the MBR its working for a period of time, example 2 days ago i updated win10 to dec update. I boots ok few times, after that was still ok, did a backup too. Then it remain on for a few hours, when i was downstairs with the family. Coming back, computer working ok ...until I boot and the error comes! That's the funny thing.
When I google the error, there is one said malware..
So this weekend...I'll erease system partitions, Reinstall Win10, install some program ,norton, samsung magician(who was insalled with the drive, now new version,saying drives are good) etc. Not to many to install. Then, I'll leave the computer on, see what happened. My computer has in Power setting 1 hour display , never sleep.
If all good, then some malware get to me...
I'll try that before i'll buy a new drive... or.. both?
What do you think?
Thanks,
Luc
hlucky
hlucky
jphughan - 14 December 2017 4:25 PM
Malware can definitely destroy your boot sector and trigger that error, but if you're getting that error repeatedly, there are only a few possibilities:

- The image you're restoring to when this happens is also infected, possibly with a piece of malware programmed to lie dormant for a while before triggering.  This seems unlikely since most malware runs as soon as possible to start doing damage rather than risking being detected before it does anything.

- You're repeatedly getting yourself infected with malware.

- The problem isn't malware at all, but rather a drive whose reliability is in decline.

Oh, you are faster than me!
Just replayed to your first message...I'm at work now..You may be 99.8% right on this one....Of course the malware cam be backed up...It was there right? What did I do? NEVER happened this to me! Norton, Superantispyware, MalwareBytes , all say clean!!
So we go smarter with malware....They have to be found and punish, but who cares??
Thanks again
Lu

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...