Reflect Free for Server?

Author
siringo
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm looking for a free solution for backing up some Hyper-V servers I support at several schools.
Does Macrium have a free solution for Server 2016 with 2 x Hyper-V 2016 VM servers?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (5.3K reputation)
No.  Only Reflect Server runs on Windows Server OSes.  Note however that even if you found a free imaging solution that ran on Windows Server, if you're running VMs, you'd definitely want the backup solution to be VSS-aware in order to capture the VMs in a usable state.  But even then, depending on what the VMs do, you should seriously consider having backup software within the VMs themselves, even if it's only backing up individual files/folders/databases rather than the entire OS.  If you only have VM backups courtesy of host backups, you limit and complicate your restore options.  For example, without going to a great deal of effort, you would basically be limited to rolling back the VM in its entirety rather than being able to extract individual files/folders from VM backups, and if you're using snapshots and differencing disks, even rolling back the VM by restoring the individual VM files extracted from the host server's backups has its challenges.

Windows Server Backup is of course one free, VSS-aware system image tool, but it has a long list of downsides that I believe I listed somewhere on this forum a while ago.  I doubt you'll find many (or any) good free imaging options in the server realm, but especially if you're backing up VMs as well, given the purpose that Reflect serves, the cost of a Server license seems fairly insignificant, even for a school budget.

Edited 13 December 2017 12:59 AM by jphughan
siringo
siringo
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Hmmm, bugger. I noticed a few other vendors do offer a free solution for WS2016 and a few VMs, I was hoping Macrium may as well.

Thanks once more jphughan for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...