Scheduled and Manual backups remain in running state, even though completed

Author
SilantStrike
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi, I have a new issue after updating to v7.1.2722 (from the previous minor version), and I am hoping there is someone that can assist.

I have several incremental forever file and folder backups, that are scheduled to run daily at 7am.  This has worked well for a long time, but has recently stopped working.
The backups are saved on an internal hard drive, and then robocopied (powershell script) is used to sync to a NAS on the local network.

The current issue is that after the backup process completes...
Note: I know it completed because I received an email, there is a Log entry, and the backup file is created, and lastly the UI Monitor prompts with a Close button (that i do close).

1) In Scheduled Backups, it shows the Status as "Running" and the Last Result as "In Progress"
2) The Robocopy process is never trigged

So it seems something is hung up (not sure what), and it never progresses so the only thing I can do is to use Task Manager to End Task one of the UI Watcher processes.  Once I do that, then the Robocopy task is triggered and completes successfully.  Then the backup finally shows as complete.

Below is a screen shot of my Task Manager showing the background processes that are running during the backup process.  Are there supposed to be 2 Reflect UI Watcher processes, and also 2 Imaging and Backup processes?

Some other things I had to do after the Reflect Update
1) After the update, I noticed that all my scheduled tasks were running as SYSTEM.  This does not work, since SYSTEM does not have access to the NAS (Robocopy started to fail with permission denied).  So I had to update the scheduled tasks (using the Scheduled Menu) to change the Account to my own Admin account on the local machine.  

2) I executed the "Fix VSS Problems" which I'm not sure if that did anything to help

Here is another screen shot of Task Manager just showing the default processes that are running, when there is no backup running.  Notice there is 1 Watcher and 1 Imaging and Backup process running, even though no backups are running.  Is that normal?

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
SilantStrike - 11 December 2017 1:58 PM
Hi, I have a new issue after updating to v7.1.2722 (from the previous minor version), and I am hoping there is someone that can assist.

I have several incremental forever file and folder backups, that are scheduled to run daily at 7am.  This has worked well for a long time, but has recently stopped working.
The backups are saved on an internal hard drive, and then robocopied (powershell script) is used to sync to a NAS on the local network.

The current issue is that after the backup process completes...
Note: I know it completed because I received an email, there is a Log entry, and the backup file is created, and lastly the UI Monitor prompts with a Close button (that i do close).

1) In Scheduled Backups, it shows the Status as "Running" and the Last Result as "In Progress"
2) The Robocopy process is never trigged

So it seems something is hung up (not sure what), and it never progresses so the only thing I can do is to use Task Manager to End Task one of the UI Watcher processes.  Once I do that, then the Robocopy task is triggered and completes successfully.  Then the backup finally shows as complete.

Below is a screen shot of my Task Manager showing the background processes that are running during the backup process.  Are there supposed to be 2 Reflect UI Watcher processes, and also 2 Imaging and Backup processes?

Some other things I had to do after the Reflect Update
1) After the update, I noticed that all my scheduled tasks were running as SYSTEM.  This does not work, since SYSTEM does not have access to the NAS (Robocopy started to fail with permission denied).  So I had to update the scheduled tasks (using the Scheduled Menu) to change the Account to my own Admin account on the local machine.  

2) I executed the "Fix VSS Problems" which I'm not sure if that did anything to help

Here is another screen shot of Task Manager just showing the default processes that are running, when there is no backup running.  Notice there is 1 Watcher and 1 Imaging and Backup process running, even though no backups are running.  Is that normal?

Hi

Thanks for posting. Sorry you are having problems,

You can set network authentication credentials in 'Other Tasks' > 'Defaults'  > 'Network'. Once set, running your scheduled tasks using the SYSTEM account shouldn't be a problem. If you receive 'Access Denied' for the backup location during a backup then there is a fix due hopefully later today that corrects this particular problem. 

When a backup is running there'll be a single Reflect.exe and a single ReflectBin.exe running. There'll also be a single ReflectUI.exe for each users that's logged on or running a backup. Unfortunately, the task manager screen isn't giving quite enough information, if you click the 'Details' tab in Task Manager you'll also be able to see the actual process and user name. 

Can I suggest that you install the next update when it arrives later, make sure that your network authentication is set in 'Other Tasks' > 'Defaults' > 'Network', change the scheduled tasks user to be SYSTEM and check to see if the problem is resolved. If not, can I ask you to open a support ticket  so we can request further information on your system to resolve this problem. 

http://helpdesk.macrium.com/

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
Given that the network authentication issue is that the Robocopy job is failing, rather than the Reflect job (which is just writing to an internal disk), it doesn't sound like using Edit Defaults > Network would be a viable alternative.

Edited 11 December 2017 2:41 PM by jphughan
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
jphughan - 11 December 2017 2:41 PM
Given that the network authentication issue is that the Robocopy job is failing, rather than the Reflect job (which is just writing to an internal disk), it doesn't sound like using Edit Defaults > Network would be a viable alternative.

It appears that RoboCopy isn't being triggered until ReflectUI.exe is manually killed. So, the script is hanging waiting for the backup job to complete. It isn't easy to put a finger on the cause but if it's still a problem after updating we can get more information with a help desk ticket and, if appropriate, have a remote session with the customer.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

SilantStrike
SilantStrike
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Thanks for all of your quick replies.  

The computer running the backups is my laptop, and I am the only user on the machine.  So I will need to continue to configure the backups to run as my user account, which is fine.

When going to the details of each process, they are running as my account.  So as far as processes are concerned, if I am the only user, and there are no backups running, then should the processes exist?  If I end them, they start up again on their own, even though no backups are running...

Do we have a date for the next update?  Or will I have to manually run my backups and kill the process each time in order for them to work (I'm not very thrilled about that).

jphughan
jphughan
Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.9K reputation)
New release is out.

SilantStrike
SilantStrike
Thanks for the update.  I have installed the update and will report back tomorrow after my scheduled backups run.
jphughan
jphughan
SilantStrike - 12 December 2017 7:08 PM
Thanks for the update.  I have installed the update and will report back tomorrow after my scheduled backups run.

If you don't want to wait that long, you manually simulate the conditions of a scheduled backup by going to the Scheduled Backups tab, right-clicking the desired schedule entry, and selecting "Run Now".  This is different from the "Run Now" option under the Backup Definition Files tab, since the former calls the scheduled task, whereas the latter just runs as a normal Reflect job under the standard user's logged-on context.
SilantStrike
SilantStrike
Thanks again!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...