Insufficient space on optical target media.

Author
dbminter
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)Advanced Member (580 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Got a weird error message I never encountered before in this situation.  I had an about 700 MB file and folder backup that I was going to span across 2 BD-RE DL because there was only 17 MB of free space on the first BD-RE DL.  When I tried to select the BD-RE target folder, Reflect said there was insufficient space on the disc.

Now, yesterday, I had a 4 GB backup spanning to multiple BD-RE DL that did not return this error message.  However, I think I might know why.  Just wanted to get confirmation of it.  I think yesterday's backup worked because there was 1.1 GB of free space on the first target BD-RE DL.  With today's attempt being only 17 MB left, I'm guessing there must be a certain amount of free space to begin with before a backup can start?  And I'm guessing this is based on how much data is being backed up?  Either way, I'm guessing 17 MB isn't enough and that's why it returned that error message.

Am I right in my reasoning?

Thanks!

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (2.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
dbminter - 3 December 2017 7:16 PM
Got a weird error message I never encountered before in this situation.  I had an about 700 MB file and folder backup that I was going to span across 2 BD-RE DL because there was only 17 MB of free space on the first BD-RE DL.  When I tried to select the BD-RE target folder, Reflect said there was insufficient space on the disc.

Now, yesterday, I had a 4 GB backup spanning to multiple BD-RE DL that did not return this error message.  However, I think I might know why.  Just wanted to get confirmation of it.  I think yesterday's backup worked because there was 1.1 GB of free space on the first target BD-RE DL.  With today's attempt being only 17 MB left, I'm guessing there must be a certain amount of free space to begin with before a backup can start?  And I'm guessing this is based on how much data is being backed up?  Either way, I'm guessing 17 MB isn't enough and that's why it returned that error message.

Am I right in my reasoning?

Thanks!

The minimum space requirement is approx 25MB. This is related to the potential backup file meta data size when a backup is split, not the amount of data being backed up. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...